Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118048 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #926 (1970) - Megan - 'His is the only way. His cause MUST be served.'

From "Robservations 5/6/03 - 926-927 - Michael Must Die!"
Megan comes down and asks, am I to be punished? This is no time for punishment, says Barnabas--you thought what you were doing was right, even though it wasn't, and I understand that--now you must try to understand--what your true responsibility to the boy is. I love him very much, she says, her eyes alight. As it should be, says Barn. Megan gushes, he's the most wonderful child in the whole world, and even though I know what I almost did was terrible, I fear I've let Michael down, and am afraid to face him when he comes back. Michael has caused a great deal of friction between you and Philip, hasn't he? asks Barnabas.  Yes, says Megan defensively, but it's only because Philip refuses to understand him, makes no effort with him. And you feel your love for him requires you to do anything he asks you to do, don't you? asks Barn.  Yes, says Megan, as if it's a religious experience--how can I refuse him anything, he's so wonderful? You can, says Barn, because your first allegiance isn't to him, but to me. What do you mean? demands Megan. Exactly what I said, says Barnabas. Her face changes--that's impossible, she hisses, he is the one I serve!  Are you sure you're all right? he asks--perhaps it's time to--reconsider. Why? she asks, his is the only way, his cause must be served--why do you doubt that? No, I don't, says Barn, I was only testing you, making sure YOU have no doubts--you're very good for him, Megan, but you love him too much, are blind to his faults--love him less, see him as he is, be strong and firm, comfort him, discipline him, protect him--mother him.  She goes into Barnabas' arms and hugs him--I'm so glad you came when you did., she says--I only wish Philip could understand me as you do--now, what are we to do? I'll tell you what is to happen now, says Barnabas--do not  grieve for Michael. Megan looks ready to start grieving right now.
[/spoiler]

This is the second time a quote comes from Ep #926. The first was back on April 27th (Philip - 'You MUST not be protective about Michael now!).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »
I hope Count Petofi shows up eventually.

Don't miss Monday's installment.  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 28, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
Friday's quote was also the second time Megan appears in the slideshow -

- but it's the first time we see her face. And ordinarily not seeing her face would have disqualified the quote I used. But the quote wasn't really about Megan - the Leviathan box was the real focus -

Ep #891 (1969) - Megan - 'It MUST be incredibly old.'

- and Megan was simply talking about it. So, it's the one time the character delivering a quote isn't seen, the object of the quote is...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 28, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #206 (1967) - Burke - 'Then what is it? They MUST have done something, tell me. What are those jokers up to?'

From "#0206/0207: Robservations 10/16/01: A Fist Fight at the Blue Whale"
Tell me what happened, he says--that creep, Willie, what's he done?--he way you're acting, he must have done something. No, says Vicki. What about his friend, McGuire, asks Burke--what's he been up to? Nothing, she says. You wouldn't lie to a guy, would you--unless you thought he was asking questions that were none of his business, is that it? Not really, she says. They must have done something, he insists--what are those jokers up to? Carolyn has to use a gun to keep Willie away, reveals Vicki--she said it was the only thing that stopped him. Then there's only one thing to be done--tell Liz, says Burke. She knows, says Vicki. What's the problem--she gave him his walking papers, didn't she? asks Burke. No, says Vicki, she told Mr. McGuire about it. She told Mr. McGuire about it--are you kidding? asks Burke. No, says Vicki. That's all she did? asks Burke. Presumable Mr. McGuire spoke to Willie, says Vicki. The next thing you're gonna tell me is Carolyn had to apologize--what's going on up there? I wish I knew! she says. I can't believe Liz would allow something like that to happen and do nothing, he says. She did speak to Mr. McGuire, says Vicki. That's next to nothing, he says. Maybe Mrs. Stoddard is right, muses Vicki--maybe we do lead such a sheltered life up at Collinwood that we let people upset us when they haven't really done anything. Perturbed, Burke asks her if she believes that. No, not at all, she says.
[/spoiler]

The quote appears pretty much intact in the Robservations. The only significant part that's really missing is the "Then what is it?"...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 28, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »
It's Count Petofi! So much love! And look at the lighting in that shot. Gorgeous! Like a Mario Bava film!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »
Sunday's quote:
Ep #2 (1966) - Vicki - 'Forty rooms! You MUST need an awful lot of people to help you take care of it.'

I forgot to mention the other day that Midnite and I strongly suspect that quote from Ep #2 may be the first time "MUST" is used on the show. It doesn't show up in the Robservations for Ep #1. Though, as we know too well, that's not definitive proof because many times the slideshow has featured examples in which "MUST" is said on the show but the Robservations for the ep doesn't indicate it (not to mention there are so many examples of the Robservations indicating "MUST" is said but it actually isn't). The only way to get proof is to rewatch Ep #1...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2020, 03:26:47 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Similarly, I forgot to mention that this one -

Friday's quote:
Ep #1245 (1841PT) - Stokes - 'She MUST have been attacked by something-- some kind of wild animal.'

- may very well be the last example of a character using "MUST" on the show...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 29, 2020, 03:46:22 PM »
And now Diabolos and Nicholas! You're hitting all the greats this week! Who could be next--Countess du Pres? Aunt Hannah Stokes? Portia Fitzsimmons??? I MUST KNOW!!!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Well, we're nearing the end of the month, so Midnite only has one quote left and it's not from any of those characters. However, I'll be starting a new month of quotes on Thursday, and I haven't picked out any of them yet (I was just getting ready to pick one for the 1st), so I will definitely keep those characters in mind as their storylines come up.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
I just planned out the order of the storylines for the first half of October and the ones featuring those three characters will first pop up on the 2nd, the 5th and the 11th. So, keep a lookout for who might show up in the slideshow on those days. Though I can't say it will definitely be one of those characters because 1) it all depends if they have any "MUST" quotes left in their storylines and 2) more importantly, if, as in the case of Portia Fitzsimmons, she has any "MUST" quotes at all...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #494 (1968) - Maggie - 'But one thing I MUST say, though. These earrings are different.'

From "Robservations 5/22/02 - #493/494 - Baby Comes Home"
Cottage - Maggie is annoyed--she can't find her keys--maybe Sam left with both sets? Joe says they can stay home, but she wants to find them. Joe suggests she check her purse, he didn't see her do so. She opens her purse--the keys are there! She also finds the diamond and emerald earrings. Josette's music begins to play. Joe swears he didn't give her the earrings; he couldn't have afforded them. Sam couldn't, either--how did they get into her purse? Joe suggests she ask Sam, and if he didn't give them to her, turn them over to the police--she'll get them back if no one claims them. Maggie admires them in the light and says the woman who wore them must be beautiful. All you need is money, remarks Joe, but Maggie says she thinks of someone lovely, elegant and--sad owned them. Joe says she has sentiment and imagination, but she says they remind her of something she's forgotten. Joe tells her to put them safely away so they can go out, but Maggie feels compelled to put them on. Josette's music plays, and she admires the beautiful, thoughtful gift. Joe wishes they were from him, and she says only a man who had gazed into her eyes with deepest love would know they were meant for her--in a very Josette-like voice. Joe eyes her uncomfortably, she's getting carried away. She thinks he looks worried--why? He's surprised--he didn't think she was the diamonds and emeralds type. Laughing, she assures him she loves a good book or a box of candy as a gift any day of the week. She hugs him and says the earrings are different. He agrees they look special. She's never felt this way about jewelry--she feels drawn to them. He agrees they're beautiful, any woman would love them.
It's more than that, she says dreamily, and he gets kind of angry and tells her to put them away until their owner can be found. She takes them off and says he must admit they're really exquisite--there's nothing like them in the world.
[/spoiler]

Just the tail end of the quote is referenced in the Robservations - though that's certainly better than not at all...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »
if, as in the case of Portia Fitzsimmons, she has any "MUST" quotes at all...

I just watched her ep and, sadly, she doesn't.

I guess Portia fans just have to settle for her March 22nd appearance in the History Slideshow (on page 2 and beyond on the Robservations board) when it comes up every year. Well, unless we happen to dream up some sort of new slideshow that she can appear in...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 30, 2020, 02:25:51 AM »
I thought it was so unfair that Portia never came back for at least one more episode.

But that still leaves so many more tantalizing possibilities... Buzz ... Suki Forbes ... the redoubtable Minerva Trask, noted for her damson plum preserves and strict views on child-rearing... Leona Eltridge, possibly a reincarnation of the most EEE-vil woman of the Eighteenth Century... yes... the possibilities are truly numerous!

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 30, 2020, 02:30:19 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Well, the possible good news is Minerva is part of the list of "MUST" lines of dialogue compiled from Robservations. The caveat is that without checking out the ep a line comes from, it isn't certain whether or not "MUST" is actually used on the show.

As for the other characters, they're not on the list. But the caveat there it that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have "MUST" lines - only that Robservations doesn't phrase them as such. But both Midnite and I have come across many incidents in which "MUST" lines don't appear in Robservations but are a part of the show. Several examples of that have already appeared in the slideshow. So, I wouldn't count those other characters out just yet...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #816 (1897) - Petofi - 'With that one name, with the knowledge of that one person, I can begin my attack-- my attack that will make Barnabas Collins realize he MUST go back to his own time, and take me with him.'

From "Robservations #815/816"
Aristede finishes locking Barnabas in his coffin.  Petofi exults that they can give Barnabas more attention at the mill than they could in the west wing of Collinwood.  Barnabas will be surprised to find himself here when he wakes, says Aristede.  I don't think so, says Petofi, putting his right hand on the coffin; Barnabas and I have been at war for sometime, this is one more battle in this war--the last one--it will go on until Barnabas gives me what I want.  It will be difficult to get the vampire to give up his mission in this time, says Aristede.  Difficult, admits Petofi, but he assures him, I shall do it--military strategy, doing what it takes to win any crucial battle--increase the pressure and increase the enemy's discomfort until he can stand it no longer.  Petofi balls up his fist--until he has no choice but to surrender.  Aristede asks, how will you increase the pressure?  Thus far, says Petofi, only those whom Barnabas cares for in this century have suffered--now I shall attack from the other side, hit him from both directions and catch him in pinchers from which he can't escape until he gives me what I want.  Now I will start working on those Barnabas loves in 1969.  Aristede points out, you cannot see that time; how will you know who those people are?  Barnabas mentioned one name with whom I can begin, says Petofi, and realize he must return to his own time, and take me along--David Collins, of course.  Petofi grins in triumph.
[/spoiler]

And yet again Robservations rephrases - and slightly confusingly, at that...