Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118810 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »
Today's shot is one of my favorites in the entire series. It establishes the spooky grandeur of Collinwood so well. I wonder if was accomplished using a mirror.

I'm sorry I missed Nicholas if he was featured yesterday--a very busy day for me, and I may have failed to visit the site.

Great shot of Angelique, too!

cheers, GotheEEEEEEK

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 21, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1183 (1841) - Judard - 'Daphne, you MUST marry me.'

From "#1183/1184: Robservations 11/25/03: Another Witchcraftian Death"
Marry you? asks Daphne.  I've loved you from the first moment I saw you, admits Gerard, the day Quentin brought you in and introduced to me as his governess--you see, I'm not afraid to mention his name (she turns away), but you don't want to hear it, do you--tell me how you feel?  Afraid, she confesses.  Yes, he says--afraid to say yes, afraid of the proposal.  You know me so well, she says.  So very well, he assures her.  Better than anyone else, I sometimes think, she says.  Isn't that what love is, he asks--isn't it?--when two people know each other so very well?--I know you're upset about Joanna's return.  I'm glad my sister's alive, insists Daphne.  Are you? he asks--of course you are--however, it does change things around, doesn't it?  She walks away from him.  He pursues her--although you aren't willing to admit it right now, he says, your life is changing, isn't it?--Quentin used to mention Joanna quite a lot aboard ship.  Quentin and Joanna had broken up long before that trip, protests Daphne.  But he still couldn't get her out of his mind; he could never forget about her, says Gerard insidiously--does Joanna still love Quentin, Daphne?  I don't know, she replies, upset.  Are you sure you don't? he asks.  I haven't had time to think it out, she insists.  This is the time, isn't it? he asks--you see you are depending on me, and that's the way it should be--he puts his hands on her shoulders and says, "Daphne, you must marry me--I will show you new worlds you've never seen before, wondrous new lands, I know that sounds fascinating for you, doesn't it?--you will admit that, at least."  Yes she says uncertainly.  And under that fascination, he says, his arms around her waist, you know something is missing--something that does exist--love--and it's time, Daphne, you learned about it.  They're standing at the foot of the bed now, about to kiss, but Samantha barges the room and catches them.  Well! she says severely, isn't there something you should be doing, Miss Harridge, instead of looking around the house?  You will remember what I told you, Daphne? murmurs Gerard with a chuckle.  Yes, she says, and leaves.  So this is where the lovers meet! accuses Samantha.  What a suspicious woman you are! complains Gerard--I merely come here because I want quiet and peace!--and a little chance to think--she had no idea I was here--she was rather shocked at Joanna's return, so I thought perhaps I could help her.  You're so concerned about her, says Sam nastily, you can't leave any woman alone, can you?
[/spoiler]

For a change lately, Robservations actually has the quote in as many words...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
Another capture I love, even if I do say so myself, is this one of Daphne and Judard -

Ep #1183 (1841) - Judard - 'Daphne, you MUST marry me.'

- from this past Saturday. I always try to make a perfect marriage of capture and quote. I don't always succeed - but I think I did with that one...

(And as a side note, it's really too bad that the stable scene between Tracy and Gerard never made it into NoDS. Kate Jackson and James Storm had a very interesting dynamic together on the daytime DS, yet it's not really anywhere to be seen in NoDS because all we get to see is the violence between their characters...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #2 (1966) - Vicki - 'Forty rooms! You MUST need an awful lot of people to help you take care of it.'

From "#0001/0002: Robservations 05/17/01:Vicki Comes to Collinwood"
Vicki apologies for being so late--she had trouble getting a taxi. Liz asks if she has her letter. Yes, says Vicki, it's in my purse. May I see it, please? asks Liz (a lack of trust)? I've never been in such a big house, says Vicki, as Liz opens the letter--how many rooms do you have? 40, but not all in use, says Liz--it's quite cold--I put on some tea--would you like to wait in the drawing room? Vicki thanks her. 40 rooms! She says, you must need a lot of people to help you take care of it. I have one man for the heavy work, we do the rest ourselves, says Liz coolly--and she heads into the kitchen area.
[/spoiler]

This time the quote is almost word for word...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »
Love the look Frid is giving Lou in today's photo.

And yes, that is a very nice photograph of Kate and Jim. Heavens, the gossip reported about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans at the studio during that period, on some of the comment threads on Danny Horn's blog...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
Today's capture from episode 2: WOW! Lela Swift certainly did an outstanding job putting together the visual aspect of the show at its beginning. It's been 8 years since I saw that episode, and I had forgotten that amazing, moody angle on the foyer.
Today's shot is one of my favorites in the entire series. It establishes the spooky grandeur of Collinwood so well.

Yes, I love how Lela shot that. Similarly interesting camera angles were done from time to time throughout the series, though not often enough. They really help to set the show apart, especially from the typical soap of the time and even today.

I'm sorry I missed Nicholas if he was featured yesterday

You didn't actually miss any Nicholas the other day. But he will be showing up tomorrow...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
At one of the early festivals in Newark, one of actors (Kathryn, i think) mentioned that Kate and Jim dated for awhile.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 23, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #304 (1967) - Willie - 'Well, I told him he MUST have gone out the back way.'

From "#0303/0304: Robservations 01/07/02: Burke Becomes Suspicious"
Julia goes to the Old House and is further alarmed to learn that Burke gave Willie the third degree, too. She firmly says she's got to stop Burke, his suspicions could ruin everything!
[/spoiler]

This Robservations is REALLY lacking in detail!

What actually happens in the scene is Willie has let Julia into the Old House. She learns from Willie that Burke had come to the Old house after following Barnabas there at sunrise. He knew Barnabas went in and he waited but never saw Barnabas come out. After Julia asks what Burke said to him, Willie delivers the quote. Julia asks if Burke believed him but Willie isn't sure. At Julia's prompting Willie then reveals that Burke asked all kinds of questions about Barnabas: what he does during the day, what kind of business deals he has, and where he goes. When Julia asks what he said to all that, Willie says he told Burke he doesn't know much about that. That alarms Julia, who thinks Willie should have been able to think up a convincing lie that would have put Burke off the track entirely. Julia vows she's got to stop Burke from becoming more suspicious, though she doesn't know what. But she's got to do something because Burke's suspicions could ruin everything.

And Midnite was thrilled to find another Willie "MUST" quote.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »
FABULOUS shot of Nicky and Cassandra today!

Thanks MB!

cheers, GothEEEEEEEK

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2020, 06:30:22 PM »
When it comes to Monday's capture, thank heavens that even though Julia was only making a quick trip to the Old House -

- her gloves and purse were impeccably matched. And I mean, thank heavens she made sure to wear gloves. What would Willie have said if she hadn't?!  [ghost_cheesy]

It's funny though, Julia doesn't seem to wear gloves in the later years of the show as much as she did during this period. But I suppose that was a reflection of the times because women weren't wearing gloves as often in the '70s as they had in the '60s. But along with the missing gloves we as the audience were missing one of Julia's biggest tics because she always played with her gloves when she was nervous...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #446 (1796) - Joshua - 'If you have any sense of honor left, you will do what MUST be done.'

From "#0445/0446: Robservations 04/17/02: An Anguished Father"
What kind of monster are you? Asks Joshua--did you kill Suki? Barnabas says he had to protect himself, and when he denies attacking Millicent the previous night, Joshua is angry--he believed there was an honesty between them, at least. There was, says Barn. What about your mother? asks Josh--you murdered again, to protect yourself, he accuses--you knew there would be more, shame and scandal-uou attacked your own cousin last night. This one Barnabas denies. He didn't attack Millicent--I had to kill--I couldn't stop, I'm under a curse, and couldn't help myself. You were better off thinking me dead, says Barnabas, and Josh says he'd prefer it. Barnabas agrees that he'd be better off dead, but still feels compelled to survive. Josh wants to turn his son in, but Barn asks about sitting in the courtroom admitting to be one of the living dead. They both agree it would kill Naomi. Josh calls for Ben, but Barn grabs his father from behind. Joshua pushes him away. It horrifies Josh to know Barnabas hates him so much, he would kill even him. Barnabas explains that he tried to make sure Naomi never knew--could he put the family through a trial? He asks Joshua to promise him to make Naomi believe him still dead. Joshua takes his pistol and leaves it on the coffin. "You know what you must do," he says. Taking a chance, Father? Asks Barnabas. Only one of us will leave the room alive, says Josh, and Barn must decide that for himself. Neither of us can kill the other, says Barn. If you have any sense of honor left, says Joshua to do what must be done. . .and hands his son the pistol.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 25, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »
Love the look Frid is giving Lou in today's photo.

Yes!

It's like Barnabas is saying, "Father, you can't possibly expect that a pistol is going to solve any of this!"  [ghost_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #543 (1968) - Nicholas - 'He will not be destroyed. Adam MUST live.'

From "Robservations 6/28/02 - #542/543 Nicholas Warns, Cassandra Plots"
11:30 at Collinwood - Cassandra exits the drawing room, looking impatient. Nicholas comes in and tells her he knows how to find Adam-but he won't tell her. Cassandra says to find and destroy Adam, but Nicholas says Adam must live. But my curse! Protests Cassandra. Nicholas doesn't care; Adam is going to be the first in a whole new species of man, and he will find him, study him and learn how he was created. He orders her not to argue with him, Adam will live. If she tries to destroy Adam, HE will destroy HER, permanently-this is fair warning, says Nicholas.
[/spoiler]

Well, at least Robservations refers word for word to half of the quote. That's most certainly better than some...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 26, 2020, 02:00:12 PM »
FABULOUS shot of Nicky and Cassandra today!

It's perfect blocking for the scene, but for getting a capture -

- I wish both of them weren't in profile. Though that's certainly better than getting one full on and only getting the other one from the back...

Cassandra does not look pleased - but given what Nicholas is telling her, why would she be?  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #728 (1897) - Quentin - 'Edward, she's your wife. Now surely you MUST be curious as to what became of her when she followed me out of this house and halfway around the world.'

From "Robservations 11/15/02 - #728/729 - Quentin Seeks Jenny--and Beth"
Edward promises not to let Jenny near him again. Quentin says it already happened once, but Edward assures him it won't happen again. "Your pomposity is disgusting," pronounces Quentin, "oh, Edward, you're so brave and proud, and enjoy your role as custodian of the family secrets." Quentin chuckles--you've conquered all of us, and we know we've been wasting our lives because you will always be here, pasting us together again, to perpetuate the myth of family honor and dignity--"You're everything each of us is not--solid, strong and honest--and your mind is hermetically sealed!" We've only discussed MY wife, says Q, we haven't gotten around to yours. And we aren't going to, insists Edward. Why haven't you asked me about Laura since I returned? Quentin asks. I don't care, Edward says. "But Edward, she's your wife--now surely you must be curious as to what became of her when she followed me out of this house and halfway around the world." (Ah, now we understand why these two hate each other so much--once again, Q was a bad boy.) Not in the least bit curious, says Edward, she no longer exists for me. Quentin tells him, flippantly, I last saw her in Alexandria, Egypt. Edward doesn't want to hear more, and forbids him to mention her name in this house.
Quentin laughs, liking that--it's so like you!
[/spoiler]

Love this scene between Quentin and Edward. But then any scene involving the 1897 siblings interacting (usually arguing) with one another is special...