Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116137 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »
Wow, MB, what a fabulous shot of Magda! Beautiful!

I thought you might like it. And here it is again -

- for those who might have missed it. Though once again Midnite certainly deserves part of the credit because I was merely illustrating her quote.  [ghost_smiley]

And just as a tease, there's a classic Julia and Barnabas 1995 moment coming up on the 10th...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #887 (1796) - Oberon - 'It is for that reason that we MUST go on in spirit.'

From "Robservations 4/10/03 - #886-887 - 1796 Finale; Hello, Leviathans!"
Thunder rolls. Barnabas opens his eyes and sits up. Oberon and Haza gaze at him hopefully as he stands, sliding down off the altar. His face looks cruel, cold. He moves his hand in the same gesture as Oberon, reciting a poem we will be hearing a lot in the months to come: "The waters shall nourish each grain of sand, wedged between ancient, sacred stones, and guide us to the threshold of a time to be and restore our flesh and bones (brrrr!) Oberon and Haza introduce themselves to Barnabas. We bid you welcome, Master, says Oberon. You have performed your tasks well, praises Barnabas. Thank you, says Haza. There is one thing that must be done before I leave, says Barnabas--do you have the ancient book? Yes, says Oberon. I will do what must be done, says Barnabas--have you made the necessary preparations? Yes, responds, Oberon, everything is ready for you. They hand him a carved wooden box, topped with the same snakes as those on the altar.  This is the Leviathan box, says Haza.
Oberon passes it into Barnabas' hands. It is written that only this box shall accompany me, Barnabas says, but you shall be with me, in spirit--do you understand? We do, they assure him. When the time is come, how shall I know the chosen ones? asks Barnabas.   It is written, in the ancient book, says Haza, that when you seek guidance, you will find it in your dreams. It is for that reason, adds Oberon, that we must go on in spirit. Before I leave, says Barnabas, is there anything else that I must know? Our task here is done, says Haza, there is nothing more we can do. Soon, says Oberon, we shall herald the arrival of a new and all powerful leader. This box, says Barnabas, must not be opened until that time. Yes, agrees Oberon. I shall not fail, vows Barnabas, the power and wisdom of 200 years will protect and guide me and that which has been prophesied will one day become reality. We see the twined serpents on the altar.  Thunder booms.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
Another exquisite photo, MB. Peter Lombard was so marvelous as Oberon. I found it baffling that he only appeared in this one episode. We needed nightmare sequences where Oberon showed up to taunt and goad Barnabas--it would have made the Leviathans more of a presence in the storyline.

I'm presuming that Lombard became unavailable almost immediately due to another long-term gig, which is why another actor was brought in for a later episode in which Barnabas was again visited by a Leviathan.

Or maybe simply nobody cared...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2020, 10:14:03 PM »
I was surprised, upon looking him up, that IMDB says Lombard appeared in a total of 4 episodes on the show. So he must have reappeared, and I've forgotten that fact. A good excuse to re-watch Leviathans!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2020, 12:14:40 AM »
I would have said he's in 3 eps. Besides the one the quote comes from, he's introduced in the previous one. And then down the line in the ep where Barnabas explains everything to Julia, Oberon is seen in a flashback to a scene we never saw originally when Barnabas was first indoctrinated in 1796. But I have no memory of the circumstances of the 4th one...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
Another exquisite photo, MB. Peter Lombard was so marvelous as Oberon.

And here it is for anyone who missed it:

And I looked up his other ep. It's actually his third appearance when he shows up in a dream Barnabas has about how he will recognize The Chosen Ones...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1005 (1970PT) - Gladstone - 'If you're Dr. Longworth's assistant, you surely MUST know how important my compound is to his experiment.'

From "#1004/1005: Robservations 07/01/03:"
What is your relationship is with Dr. Longworth? asks Gladstone. I'm assisting in his new experiment, says Yaeger. He never mentioned an assistant, says Gladstone, as a matter of fact, he always stressed the fact that he worked alone. "Perhaps he was trying to tell you to mind your own business," suggests Yaeger, "now why don't you just give me this." He reaches for the package, but Gladstone pulls it out of his reach--it's only for Dr. Longworth or Miss Stuart, he says--can you call her? She's not here, says Yaeger, but I can assure you I'm authorized to accept it. I must have that assurance from Dr. Longworth, insists Gladstone. Maybe I should just take it from you, threatens Yeager.  I wouldn't do that if I were you, advises Gladstone--I don't think Dr. Longworth would approve. What if I don't give a...hoot about Dr. Longworth's approval? asks Yaeger, (and one senses hoot wasn't the word he wanted to use). If you're really Dr. Longworth's assistant, says Gladstone, you surely must be aware of how important my compound is to his experiment, and if I'm threatened in any way, my cooperation will cease immediately--do I make myself clear?
Very, says Yaeger, barely controlling his anger. Then I'll bid you good night, says Gladstone, taking the compound with him.
[/spoiler]

And again Robservations does a bit of reworking of the quoted line. But at least this time it doesn't have the reworking in quotes as if it's what's said on the show.

It's hard to believe that it's already just slightly more than 17 years since this ep last aired on SciFi. Time flies. Though who knows if it will ever be seen again on TV?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »
Lovely to see John Harkins today. Truly one of the unsung heroes of DS.

I remember Garth Blackwood growling MUST a lot so perhaps he'll show up in this series eventually.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:19 PM »
Lovely to see John Harkins today.

And here he is again for anyone who missed him:

Truly one of the unsung heroes of DS.

Indeed. I believe this was the fourth of the four roles he did. And I love how he committed to it by shaving off part of his right eyebrow and then using a piece of scotch tape to raise his brow so that it looked like whatever injury caused the scar over his right eye also disfigured him slightly. Now that's going all out.

If you look closely you can see the scotch tape. Though if you didn't know it's there, it's pretty invisible.

I remember Garth Blackwood growling MUST a lot so perhaps he'll show up in this series eventually.

Oh, I'm sure he will. If we can judge by Robservations, Blackwood has five potential "Must" quotes, so at least one is bound to make the slideshow sooner or later...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1070 (1995) - Barnabas - 'And you MUST depend upon me, not him. You MUST depend upon *me*!'

From "#1070/1071: Robservations - 08/19/03: Betrayal"
Julia, says Barnabas quietly, you have been with him. (In the biblical sense?) She shakes her head-no, she says. He has done this to you, says Barnabas. No, she insists, still shaking her head. He has made you do this, accuses Barnabas. Don't talk about him, she begs. Julia, why not--are you so terrified of him? he asks. I told you to go while you can! insists Julia. And leave you to him? says Barnabas. Leave me, yes, it's the only chance you have, she wails. But why is he so terrifying that you can't mention his name? demands Barnabas-say it, Julia! No, she cries. SAY IT! he orders. NO! she repeats, shaking her head, throwing her hands out. "Then it will be my will against his," says Barnabas. Let me go, says Julia, near tears-he's watching us, I know it, somewhere outside this house, he's watching, he knows what's happening here-"Barnabas, go, go!" Look at me, Julia, commands Barnabas. She refuses, turning away. Look at me, he repeats-you can hear me, you will do as I say-"Now, look at me!" Her head swivels around with reluctance; they lock eyes. "You can escape," she says. "Not without you," he responds tenderly. "You can't take me with you," she says, shaking he head. He moves in close, almost within kissing distance, and adds, "Never without you." You won't be able to take me, she warns. I will, he insists -you must believe me, I will. I can't, she says. Once we are back in our own time, he can't get to you, he reminds her-"You must depend upon me, not him!" She tips her head back and sobs. He says it again--"You must depend upon me!" Julia falls into his embrace, crying
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
Great shot from a great episode. For some fans, this is THE episode.

"Not without you... Never without you."

Thanks, MB!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »
And an odd thing is that during the original broadcast, my family went on a long trip during the period of the 1995 storyline--so I never saw this episode. Not until years later--I think I watched it in the actual year 1995 for the first time.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2020, 05:15:40 AM »

It's a wonderful scene!

Not until years later--I think I watched it in the actual year 1995 for the first time.

Now that's pretty cool.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
Not until years later--I think I watched it in the actual year 1995 for the first time.

Now that's pretty cool.

I can certainly relate since I never saw most of September of 1968 until mid-January of 1969 until I got to see them in '80s syndication. I also missed a June '68 ep, a July '68 ep, and two July '70 eps because I was on a plane travelling to and from vacations. Though at least in the case of those eps I had a friend who took copious notes about them so he could fill me in on what happened. Again, I didn't to see the actual eps until '80s syndication.

The funny thing is there is still one ep that I've never completely seen again since the first time it aired. When I was recording DS on SciFi a relative who was visiting from out of town switched the cable box from SciFi to CBS to watch The Price Is Right without realizing I was recording DS. So instead of most of 1970PT Ep #1011, I got TPIR on my tape. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled. And it was an accident, so that person is still alive - I didn't kill him.  [ghost_nowink]  But even despite other showings on SciFi and owning the ep on DVD, I have yet to watch the whole thing.

It's a wonderful scene!

It is indeed - both the  "never without you" part, which is immortalized as a July 31st entry in the History -

1970: Ep #1070 - After learning Gerard forced Julia to betray
him, Barnabas insists he would never escape without her.

- Slideshow (the second one on the Robservations board), and the "depend upon me, not him" part, which is immortalized in this -

Ep #1070 (1995) - Barnabas - 'And you MUST depend upon
 me, not him. You MUST depend upon *me*!'

- sideshow.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1111 (1840) - Daniel - 'And now we MUST play the little game again. You were always so stubborn, Harriet!'

From "#1111/1112: Robservations 09/18/03: Julia in Jeopardy"
Daniel releases Julia from his stranglehold and tells her she must not leave, or they will know she's in this house
--she didn't think he would recognize her simply because she's wearing that ridiculous get-up.  I've never seen you before! gasps Julia.  Daniel says she did it deliberately to shame him, just as she's always done--and now they must play the little game again--"You were always so stubborn, Harriet!"  I'm not Harriet, protests Julia, holding her throat.  Ha--how like you to say that, accuses Daniel, do you not think I recognize you?--of course you've changed, but you were always deceptive, always pretending to be someone you were not.  He is clearly nuts.  I should have known that when I married you! he shouts, coming closer to her.  Julia warns him she will scream, she swears.  You cannot scream, he insists insanely, if you scream, they will come--they will know how you haunt me, how you always come back to haunt me
[/spoiler]

How did the wardrobe department manage not to have Julia travel back to 1840 not wearing the green suit that she did when she slipped into 1970PT and then travelled to 1995?!  [ghost_cheesy] Shouldn't her trusty green suit be her go to travelling ensemble?  [ghost_wink]  Although, she also wasn't wearing it when she travelled via the I Ching to 1897...