Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116744 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2020, 04:50:38 AM »
I haven't done any statistics since the end of April, so just in case you've been wondering how many appearances each actor has been making in the screen caps, here's a chart breaking things down. The first column has the full stats for April, the second has the full stats for May, the third has the full stats for June, and the fourth and last column has the totals for each actor for the full three months added together:

Frid3 | Hall6 | Frid6 | Frid15
Moltke3 | Frid6 | Moltke4 | Moltke11
Barrett3 | Moltke4 | Henesy4 | Hall10
Henesy3 | Scott3 | Barrett3 | Henesy8
Bennett2 | Parker3 | Hall3 | Barrett7
Parker2 | Lacy3 | Nickerson3 | Parker6
Edmonds2 | Edmonds2 | Bennett2 | Edmonds6
Selby2 | Ford2 | Briscoe2 | Bennett5
Hall1 | Jackson2 | Astredo2 | Selby5
Lacy1 | David1 | David2 | Lacy5
David1 | Barrett1 | Edmonds2 | Scott5
Stroka1 | Lassell1 | Selby2 | David4
McKechnie1 | Briscoe1 | Wandrey1 | Astredo4
Millay1 | Henesy1 | Blackburn1 | Briscoe4
Lassell1 | Bennett1 | Parker1 | Lassell3
Wallace 1 | Richards1 | Lacy1 | Pennock3
Astredo1 | Lindsey1 | Richards1 | Blackburn3
Briscoe1 | Wandrey1 | Wallace1 | Ford3
Scott1 | Baragrey1 | Jackson1 | Jackson3
Gerringer1 | Crothers1 | Storm1 | Nickerson3
Pennock1 | Karlen1 | Pennock1 | Millay2
Rodan1 | Astredo1 | Scott1 | Wallace2
Slocum1 | Eis1 | Crawford1 | Rodan2
Ryan1 | Pennock1 | Bolster1 | Ryan2
Blackburn1 | Cody1 | Patrick1 | Crawford2
Crawford1 | Schofield1 | Keyes1 | Storm2
Storm1 | J. Hall1 | Lassell1 | Patrick2
Vestoff1 | Blackburn1 | Ryan1 | Crothers2
George1 | Powell1 | McEwen1 | Humphrey2
Patrick1 | Millay1 | Humphrey1 | Richards2
Davis1 | Davila1 | Rodan1 | Wandrey2
Bernau1 | _____ | Ford1 | _____
Prentice1 | _____ | _____ | _____
Crothers1 | _____ | _____ | _____
Humphrey1 | _____ | _____ | _____

When it comes to the individual months, naturally some actors are just likely to appear in more screen caps by virtue of the fact that they appear in more storylines. Plus some characters just seem to say "MUST" or to be around other characters who say it more than others are. Also, whenever actors tied with the same amount of screen caps, I've listed them in order of appearance in the slideshow.

And when it comes to the totals, I only included actors who'd appeared in at least 2 screen caps...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »
And just in case you wonder how the writers break down with the quotes so far, here's a chart for that:

Russell 10 | Hall       10 | Hall       10 | Hall       29
Hall     9 | Sproat      7 | Russell     7 | Russell    24
Sproat   8 | Russell     7 | Sproat      5 | Sproat     20
Wallace  2 | Caldwell    3 | Caldwell    2 | Caldwell    6
Caldwell 1 | Marmorstein 2 | Welles      2 | Wallace     4
____     _ | Welles      1 | Swann       2 | Marmorstein 3
____     _ | Wallace     1 | Marmorstein 1 | Welles      3
____     _ | ____        _ | Wallace     1 | Swann       2

The columns all breakdown in the exact same ways as the actors' chart.

What's interesting is that this slideshow has only been active for three months, but the the writers' totals ranks are already closing in to being similar to the amount of eps they wrote for the show overall:

Russell     366
Hall        316
Sproat      214
Welles       84
Marmorstein  80
Wallace      65
Caldwell     63
Swann        36

(The above info comes from the DS Almanac. I didn't confirm its accuracy, and we all know how not everything in there is accurate, but we'll hope that is...)

And an interesting bit of trivia:
Even though it's attributed to Gordon Russell, supposedly Joel Crothers actually wrote the script for the 1796 ep (Ep #433) in which Nathan is on the witness stand. Nothing from that ep has appeared in the slideshow as of yet.
And even though they're also attributed to Gordon Russell, supposedly Violet Welles actually wrote his final series of 1841PT eps for the show. Quotes from two of those eps (Eps #1232 & #1234) have appeared in the slideshow.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #34 (1966) - Joe - 'No, I was drunk. I was just plain drunk. Your mother MUST be sore, huh?'

From "#0033/0034: Robservations 06/11/01: Into the Whirlpool"
Joe sits on the sofa, holding his aching head, sipping a cup of coffee, and hesitantly asks Carolyn what he said to her mother. Just a few friendly little things, she teases, like, "She ruined my life by bringing me up in this house." "Oh, boy," Joe moans, holding his head, "I think I'll kill myself." She orders him to finish the coffee first, and he laments that he doesn't know how he could have said those things. "Because you meant them, Joe," she says candidly. He insists he was just plain drunk and suggests her mother must be pretty sore at him. "Yup," she says with mock reproach. He says he's sorry, and she points out that everyone has to blow off steam once in a while. He nods ruefully.
[/spoiler]

And once again Robservations rephrases rather than using a direct quote - and once again it definitely gets the exact same point across...

Now, why is today's quote such a major find? Well, as I said back on April 29th when Joe made his first and only previous appearance in the slideshow, even though there are many places in Robservations where Joe supposedly says "must," when one checks out the actual ep, he really says "got to," "gotta," "have to," or "haveta." And with the hope of using one of his quotes in the slideshow, I've also checked several instances with Nathan where Robservations also has him supposedly saying "must" - but they also turn out to be Joel Crothers actually saying one of those four. So, if one can come across an instance where Joel actually does indeed say "must," it's most definitely a major find!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #154 (1967) - Caretaker - 'You MUSTN'T go in there.'

From "#0154/0155: Robservations 09/07/01: Caretaker of the Crypt"
You'd think it would smell all musty in here, says Vicki, but it doesn't--it smells of jasmine. Jasmine? repeats the caretaker. It comes from in there, says Vicki, pointing to another room. Frank darts forward. What are you talking about? he asks--let me take you home, I'm worried about you. What's in there? asks Vicki. No, not in there, warns the caretaker, you mustn't go in there. Why not? asks Vicki. That's the crypt, he replies, I never let anyone go in there. But I have to, protests Vicki, please! If the man says no, says Frank, I think we'd better take his word for it. We knocked, says Vicki, and we didn't go away, we came in--please do us this one favor.
[/spoiler]

Jasmine? Hmmm...  [ghost_wink]

Today's installment of the slideshow has two firsts: it showcases the caretaker's first appearance on the show and it's the first time Frank Garner/Conard Fowkes (just barely) makes an appearance in a screen cap...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »
I didn't confirm its accuracy, and we all know how not everything in there is accurate, but we'll hope that is...

I should have known better because that hope was fruitless. Just for the fun of it, I added up the totals and they came to 1224. And once you add in Ralph Ellis' 2 eps (I didn't include him because neither of his eps appeared in the slideshow in April, May or June) the total comes to 1226. But we all know DS produced 1225 eps. So, one of the writers is apparently credited with writing one more ep than he/she actually did. But the error doesn't surprise me because, well, so what else is new...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2020, 08:54:39 PM »
I think the official credits are to some extent misleading--Violet Welles said in the one interview with her I found that she wrote, apparently, all the PT 1841 episodes credited to Gordon Russell--and implied that she wrote some that went out under his name earlier on, as well (which reportedly is how she got the gig to write for the show under her own byline). I have no idea why she wasn't simply credited for writing that final group of episodes--it may have been that she, like several others who worked on the show, had some kind of argument or dispute with DC. It seems to have happened a lot. So Gordon simply paid her under the table and took the credit. According to another writer who so far as I know never worked on DS, playwright Robert Patrick (author of the fascinating novel Temple Slave, a fascinating roman-a-clef about avant-garde off-off B'way theatre culture in 1960s Greenwich Village), a lot of name writers had ghost writers churning out their scripts if they were busy developing other projects and were given assignments on deadline.

Joel Crothers also stated in an interview that he wrote, if I remember correctly, at least a couple of scripts for DS. I have no idea who got credit for writing those shows.

I doubt we will ever know more about who was actually writing for the show since most of the people involved are dead now. And even when they were living, they would have been reluctant to discuss this subject, since among other things there were potential violations of writers' guild rules involved.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #203 (1967) - Jason - 'He didn't actually do anything? Well now he MUST have done something to upset Mrs. Stoddard.'

From "#0202/0203: Robservations 10/12/01: Another Boarder at Collinwood"
Jason enters and looks at Willie, asking what's the matter. Get him out of here, orders Liz--I found him annoying Vicki. Willie! Says Jason, what did you do? We were just talking, I swear, says Willie, I didn't touch her! Hey, did I touch you? he asks Vicki. Well, she says... Jason insists on knowing, if anything happened here. Vicki admits he didn't actually do anything. Oh, asks Jason, he must have done something to upset Mrs. Stoddard. I was only talking to her, says Willie. That's all? asks Jason. Is that true, he asks Vicki, was he only talking. They were talking, says Vicki. Did he annoy you in any way, asks Jason. I suppose not, says Vicki. Then what's all the fuss about? Jason asks Liz, the girl has no complaint. Liz knows what she saw. Yes, says Jason, but you can't always believe the things we think we see. Jason thinks they should all forget the unpleasantness, and starts to lead Willie away to his room.
[/spoiler]

And yet again Robservations skips using a direct quote - but between what is written regarding what Vicki and Jason say, yet again it definitely gets the exact same point across...

And considering he doesn't appear in today's screen cap and no screen caps appear in the quoted section from the Robservations, it's worth mentioning that the goings on involved James Hall's version of Willie.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
And considering he doesn't appear in today's screen cap and no screen caps appear in the quoted section from the Robservations, it's worth mentioning that the goings on involved James Hall's version of Willie.

And in the previous scene in which Vicki was alone with Hall's Willie, while it's true that he didn't physically touch her, his behavior was menacing and very unsettling!  Vicki looks defeated in the image.  Wonderful job, MB!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #384 (1795) - Barnabas - 'You MUST have hated me all your life.'

From "#0384/0385: Robservations 03/06/02: Family Blood is Spilled"
Barnabas' room - Barnabas is holding one of the pistols when Jeremiah comes to see him. Jeremiah tells him he's sorry, and Barnabas curtly says this really gives him a reason to hate his uncle, because if he doesn't love Josette, he's ruined their lives for nothing! Jeremiah couldn't avoid it; Josette came to him. Barnabas refuses to believe this, but Jeremiah tries to explain--he attempted to go away, but Joshua disappeared. He couldn't go to Barnabas--it was as if they were under a spell! Blaming witchcraft? Barnabas asks sarcastically. No, it was a lack of character--you saw Josette, wanted her, and made her love you. You took advantage of her--"You must have hated me all of your life", accuses Barnabas.  Jeremiah, heartbroken, denies this. He and Josette HAD to be together, there was no choice! Barnabas says he has none, either, and takes the pistol from the case.
[/spoiler]

Contrary to what the Robservations says, today's quote is correct. The word "of," as in "all of your," is not said on the show...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2020, 02:44:21 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #517 (1968) - Cassandra - 'Hear my voice, Sam Evans. Listen carefully to what I say. You MUST not die yet. You MUST live. You MUST live until Victoria Winters is at your side and you have told her the dream.'

From "Robservations 6/12/02 - #517/518 - Stokes, Dream Police"
At Collinwood, Cassandra goes to the open window with a candle and speaks to Sam Evans, casting yet another spell--"You must live until Vicki hears the dream--Vicki must hear the dream because she will take the final step and carry the dream to Barnabas."
[/spoiler]

Obviously, Robservations doesn't include all of today's quote. And oddly, even though it's indicated as a quote because it's placed between quotation marks and, therefore, should be a word for word representation of what's said on the show, the Robservation not only has "Vicki" where it should have "Victoria Winters," its supposed "quote" isn't even phrased in the same way as it is on the show.  [ghost_blink]

One thing I do find amusing about the scene is that when Cassandra enters the drawing room she's holding an already lit candle. Apparently she has no fear that anyone might see her and ask why she's going around the house with a lit candle when all the lights in the house are working.  [ghost_wink]

But getting back to today's quote, it's a new milestone for the slideshow because it's the first triple-MUST quote!  [milestone]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2020, 03:21:16 PM »
Wow wow WOW MB. Today's photo of Cassandra is JAW-DROPPING!

STAGGERINGLY excellent work!

Thanks!!!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
Wow wow WOW MB. Today's photo of Cassandra is JAW-DROPPING!

STAGGERINGLY excellent work!

Thanks. And here it is again -

- for anyone who may have missed it. However, once again I can only take credit for it partly because Midnite is selecting all of this month's quotes, so if she didn't select that scene, I wouldn't have been able to do a capture of it.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #680 (1969) - Maggie - 'There MUST be something you're terribly afraid of.'

From "Robservations 10/8/02 - #680/681 - Maggie, Mr. Jughans and David"
She informs him crisply that she saw him going to the West Wing, to the storage room--I followed you. He tells her she's made a mistake, but she assures him she didn't, she just doesn't know how he exited the storage room without her seeing him. I didn't get out, he says, because I wasn't there! She accuses him of lying. He denies it. I saw you go into the room! she cries. If you saw me go in, he asks, how did I get out without you seeing me? She blocks his way. He insists he can't tell her something he doesn't know. She warns him to stop acting innocent, he can't fool her. Hurt, he accuses her of not wanting to believe him. Stop it, she orders--it won't work--whatever it is, it's something you're terribly afraid of. What? he asks. Whatever he's trying to hide, she replies. He denies that, too. You're hiding something in the storage room, says Maggie--did you really find the phone there? David doesn't respond, then says he found it in the cellar. Why did you go to the storage room? She persists, giving him one more chance. "Maggie," he says, "I think there's something wrong with your eyes." She again orders him to stop it--you can try every trick in the book, go ahead, but in this battle of wills, I'll be the victor.
[/spoiler]

Once again Robservations rephrases - and this time doesn't even include the word "must" - shameful!  [ghost_wink]  But Midnite came across today's quote while she was looking for something else. A great find.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2020, 03:40:56 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #746 (1897) - Magda - 'You MUST release Sandor from whatever spell you have him under.'

From "Robservations 12/19/02 - #746/747 - Lovers Caught By a Crazed Wife"
Old House - a dog howls.  Barnabas rises from his coffin.  (Get those hinges some oil!)  He sits up, calls to Magda or Sandor.  Magda comes down.  I found Jenny, she says--she's still up there--they wanted to take her away, but I wouldn't let them.  Good, says Barnabas, closing his coffin--I want to ask Jenny many questions and not be disturbed--I realize someone from Collinwood will show up soon, so I must hurry.  I need to speak to you, says Magda--it's important for you to listen to me--I want you to release Sandor, it's important, we must take my sister away from here.  "Your sister?" he asks.  "Jenny," she reveals.  Wow, says Barnabas' face.  If Jenny stays here, Quentin will kill her, says Magda.  I cannot let you go, says Barnabas.  You must, says Magda--I know why you're here in this century, to save two lives of people living 100 years in the future--but my sister has nothing to do with that.  But she DOES, says Barnabas--she ran away to this house, but I wasn't here, the house was empty except for Jenny, and I changed that, locked her in her room--you wouldn't even have known she was at Collinwood, had I not done that--the story must be played out as it was originally, or I won't be able to save either David or Chris.
[/spoiler]

And once again Robservations conveys a quote in its own way - though there's certainly nothing bad about that so long as it gets the same point across - which it does.

And I never thought about this before, but in the above Robservations excerpt Barnabas claims to have changed history by his actions and if it wasn't for him Magda wouldn't even know that Jenny was at Collinwood. But given the way things play out, and given that Magda curses Quentin because of the way things play out, Barnabas' actions didn't really affect anything. Apparently Magda would have still found out about Jenny or else she wouldn't have cursed Quentin. But then, we all know our Barn - he always thinks he's at the center of everything even when he isn't!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Wow, MB, what a fabulous shot of Magda! Beautiful!

Gratefully, Gothick