Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117351 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »
The new theme sounds intriguing. I'm sure however there are enough examples of MUST on DS to last perhaps 2 years, not just one. It was that kind of show. You will be COMPELLED to say you MUST!

Today's shot is the prelude to one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. When Dr. Lang makes his dramatic statement to Julia, it looks as if Addison Powell is struggling not to crack up--but the weird look in his eyes actually lends credence to this doctor's truly "bizarre" concept of medicine.

Of course, just half a year or so earlier, Julia had been standing in front of a bubbling cauldron in the middle of a classic mad scientist lab in the Old House basement, dropping very peculiar looking pellets into a frothing brew...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
I'm sure however there are enough examples of MUST on DS to last perhaps 2 years, not just one. It was that kind of show. You will be COMPELLED to say you MUST!

There's more like enough to go on for ten years! Though we won't do it for that long. Maybe three years - we'll see...

Today's shot is the prelude to one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. When Dr. Lang makes his dramatic statement to Julia, it looks as if Addison Powell is struggling not to crack up--but the weird look in his eyes actually lends credence to this doctor's truly "bizarre" concept of medicine.

Exactly.

Of course, just half a year or so earlier, Julia had been standing in front of a bubbling cauldron in the middle of a classic mad scientist lab in the Old House basement, dropping very peculiar looking pellets into a frothing brew...

Yes, Julia wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if she wanted to criticize Lang for practicing "bizarre medicine."  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1204 (1841PT) - Possessed Melanie - 'They don't pay any attention to you, do they?--you TELL them what they MUST do, and then you die!'

From "#1203/1204: Robservations 12/11/03: Naive Fiancee"
Melanie comes in, laughing uproariously.  Why aren't you ready for the funeral? Flora asks her daughter and she and Quentin stare at Melanie, shocked.  Melanie goes over to the coffin, puts her hands on it and says, giggling, "They don't pay any attention to you, do they?--you tell them what they must do, and then you die!--but they don't have that lottery, oh, no, they're much too smart for that!"  Melanie, please! begs Flora.  Melanie continues, "It must go on, don't they realize that, the lottery must happen again!"
She laughs, chillingly.
[/spoiler]

I've picked one of my favorite 1841PT scenes to launch the "30 Days Of To Tell Or Not To Tell" sub-theme. No one played possessed better than Nancy Barrett, and the writers often imbued humor into those types of scenes for her. Perhaps no other scene is a better example of that than this one from Ep #1204. And it's quite obvious that NB had a field day playing it! And by contrast, the way Joan Bennett and David Selby played Flora and Quentin's horror at her behavior only makes what NB did as Possessed Melanie all the better...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1117 (1840) - Julia - 'You MUST TELL me!'

From "#1117/1118: Robservations 09/23/03: Ben Attacked--By What?"
Julia waves the prism in front of Roxanne and asks, what's the last thing you remember?  Eyes focused on the prism, Roxanne says, I remember leaving Collinwood to go home.  What happened then? asks Julia.  I got home and was waiting for someone, says Rox.  What were you waiting for? asks Julia.  It was...it was...says Roxanne.  An open window bangs; the candles blow out.  You must tell me! says Julia, suddenly aware something strange is going on.  She closes the banging window, then goes to re-light the candles.  Hearing something outside the room, she goes to look around, feeling a chill.  Is anyone down there? she calls over the stair railing.  She returns to the lightning filled room and closes the door.  Roxanne is gone!  Julia looks around.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1061 (1995) - Mrs. Johnson - 'You MUSTN'T ask and I MUSTN'T TELL.'

From "#1060/1061: Robservations 08/12/03: From PT to the RT Future!"
Suddenly coming back to herself, looking crazed, scared, Mrs. Johnson, says, I beg your pardon--Barnabas asks if David died. Now evasive, Mrs. Johnson says yes, he just died, that's all.  We've been to Collinwood and know something terrible happened, says Julia--tell us what it was. Did it have anything to do with David's death? asks Barn. I don't know what you're talking about, she replies, frightened.  You do, says Barnabas, tell us what happened. Nothing, she says, shaking. That's not true and you know it, says Julia. Please don't hurt me, begs Mrs. Johnson, I never hurt anybody, you know, I only tried to help. We're not going to harm you, Barnabas assures her, but you must tell us what you know happened at Collinwood and to David. Please, I can't talk about it, she says. Julia comfortingly holds the elderly woman's arms and reminds her, you were our friend, you know how we loved everyone at Collinwood, and now they're gone. Gone, yes, all gone, agrees Mrs. Johnson sorrowfully. Where and why? asks Julia. You must not ask and I must not tell (is this the military?), says Mrs. Johnson. Why not? asks Julia. Because it was too horrible, says Mrs. Johnson--why do you think I come here at night to put flowers on his grave, why can't I come in the day and see the sun and the grass and the flowers around where he is buried?--because no one is supposed to have anything to do with anyone named Collins--you're not even supposed to mention the name!
[/spoiler]

Despite what Robservations says, just as the quote is written, Mrs. Johnson actually says "mustn't" both times not "must not."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2020, 03:40:13 AM »
I'm so glad Mrs Johnson appeared in a couple of episodes of the 1995 storyline. She was seen so seldom in any of the episodes in 1970. I think at that point, Clarice had found more regular work on another soap, but I'm not sure about that.

Good photo!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
I think at that point, Clarice had found more regular work on another soap, but I'm not sure about that.

At the time she was also on The Secret Storm. In fact, there was an article entitled Both Shows Claim Her in one of the daytime magazines. And it was her role on that soap that prevented her from being in hoDS...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #996 (1970PT) - Alexis - 'Please TELL me, I MUST know!'

From "#0996/0997: Robservations 06/25/03: Yaeger & Buffy"
Trask locks the front door of Collinwood. Alexis walks halfway downstairs and asks him, who are you--what are you doing?  Though stunned to see her, he covers it well--I'm Trask, the butler,he explains--I've been away. Oh, yes, she says. Surely Mr. Collins has mentioned me? asks Trask, sounding wounded. Yes, of course, says Alexis, coming the rest of the way downstairs, sorry for my abruptness. Were you told about me? she asks nervously.  He identifies her as Miss Alexis, Mrs. Collins' twin sister--is there anything I can do for you?  I was looking for Quentin, she says, have you seen him? Yes, he took Amy to visit the Loomis' at the Old House, says Trask. So, he decided to take Hannah Stokes' advice after all, she says--did he say why he was taking Amy there? She enjoys visiting her cousin Carolyn from time to time, says Trask. Does she always go there this time of night? asks Alexis.
I really couldn't say, says Trask, uncomfortable--if you'll excuse me... If Mr. Collins is out of the house, asks Alexis, why have you bolted the door? Trask stiffens--I'll open it when he comes back, he says. Is it always your habit to answer questions indirectly? She asks--why did you bolt the door? Because...I really can't talk about it, ma'am, he says. Please tell me if something happened to induce Quentin to take Amy from the house, says Alexis, i must know. I don't know what you could be referring to, he replies. Trask, she says warningly.  He admits something has happened--you must help us, help all of us--we must leave this house, all of us!
[/spoiler]

The way Robservations presents what Alexis says to Trask is different from the way it plays in the ep. What Alexis actually says is "Trask, has something happened? Something to cause Mr. Collins to take Amy out of the house? Please tell me, I must know!" That's why today's quote appears as it does...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #978 (1970) - Chris - 'Sabrina, you MUST TELL me what happened, you MUST!'

From "Robservations 6/12/03 - #978-979 - Barnabas Turns to Ang; Widows' Hill Again"
Chris asks Sabrina what happened--I want to get a doctor. I want Julia to treat me, insists Sabrina. He keeps asking what happened, but Sabrina won't talk; she just asks for Julia again. Chris gets Quentin on the phone, who says, Julia went into town a short while ago. Do you know where she went? asks Chris.  No, says Q--is something wrong?  Hearing something happened to Sabrina, Quentin promises, I'll be right down.  Chris kneels beside the weak Sabrina.  You must tell me what happened, he insists, you must--but she is silent.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #837 (1897) - Barnabas - 'Try to TELL us, try to remember, think where you came from, what you knew there, what you MUST remember.'

From Robservations 3/4/03 - #836-837 - Quentin's Romantic Tangles Hit the Fan"
At the old rectory, with lots of stained glass all around, Barnabas paces.  Quentin comes in with Julia in tow.  She doesn't recognize you, notes Quentin.  Perhaps the journey through time was too much for her, suggests Barnabas.  Julia looks at him.  We must question her, says Barnabas, we have so little time to find out.  Find out what? asks Q.  Why, when and who kills you, replies Barnabas--I have a feeling that Julia, when she saw the letter, learned something about your death that was so important, she risked coming through time to tell me.  Yes, but what? asks Quentin.
I'm not sure, says Barnabas--somewhere locked in her mind she knows something we must know before it's too late.  You're really sure something is going to happen to me, aren't you? asks Q.  Yes, replies Barnabas.  He goes to Julia and gently asks,  "What is it, Julia?  Try to tell us, try to remember, think where you came from, what you knew there, what you MUST remember."  I'm sleepy, complains Julia--I need some sleep--and she drifts off in the chair.  I can't force the knowledge from her, says Barnabas, even if I had the time, which I don't--I must go now, it's almost dawn.  Dawn, of September 10th, 1897, adds Quentin.  Stay with her, says Barnabas, perhaps she will remember.  And if she doesn't? asks Quentin bitterly--if Charity is right, this could be the last time we two will see each other!
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #679 (1969) - David - 'You MUSTN'T TELL!'

From "Robservations 10/7/02 - #678/679 - Maggie Follows David Into Quentin's Lair"
On the landing, David stops Amy and tells her to be silent--Quentin will make them sick! Amy says the adults won't let them. David thinks they won't believe them and will punish them for going into the West Wing. Amy is insistent that they finish it, but David reminds her they must do as Quentin says. But we didn't know what he was like, says Amy. David shouts, "We do now, and don't you forget it!" He twists her arm painfully behind her back and covers her mouth.
[/spoiler]

As you can see today's quote doesn't even appear in Robservations. The fact is that last month, as she was working on her quotes, Midnite came across it while looking for something else, so we have her to thank for finding it.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2020, 04:02:31 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #610 (1968) - Eve - 'Nicholas, I'll do anything you want me to do, but you MUST TELL me.'

From "Robservations 8/19/02 - #610/611 - Back in Time; Harry's Repulsive Order"
She asks him to answer one question for her, she deserves an answer--who was she and where did she come from before the experiment? You were no one, nothing, he says. You're lying, says Eve--I know I lived another life--there is someone I knew in another lifetime who I recognized--I want to know more about him--he loved me, though I don't know when, where or why--tell me!
Someone you knew, muses Nicholas, in another lifetime. . .that's fascinating, he says. Then it's true, I have lived before, she exults. The less she knows about that life, the better, Nicholas says--I want to know about HIM--not who he was before, but who he is now. Eve doesn't want to endanger the man, who might take her away from Adam. You're not stupid, says Nick--you know it would be foolish to let anyone take you away from Adam. What harm would it do to know about my past? asks Eve. Nicholas again asks who the man is. Jeff Clark, she replies--I know he's Peter Bradford, but I don't know how or why. Blair asks how long ago this man lived. I only know it was long ago, says Eve. If that is true, says Nick, they are one and the same--and forces are at work I don't know about. She doesn't understand; neither does Nick--I must find out. Eve says she will do anything he wants her to do, but he must tell her. Nick says he will let HER tell HIM. He has her sit at a table, turns off the lights, and assures her everything will be quite clear.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »
Wonderful shot, MB!

That scene is one of many that helps make the 1968 storyline one of my favorites, even though it's often heavily criticized by fans. It is when I started watching the show (a few months prior to this moment, in the middle of the Dream Curse) so it will always be my sentimental favorite.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2020, 03:10:04 PM »
Wonderful shot, MB!

That scene is one of many that helps make the 1968 storyline one of my favorites

And here it is for those -

- who may have missed it.

It's no secret that I love Nicholas and that I love Eve - and when they're in scenes together it's all the better! I was thrilled when I discovered that quote from Eve because it's perfect for what we're doing with the slideshow this month.

I started watching the show (a few months prior to this moment, in the middle of the Dream Curse) so it will always be my sentimental favorite.

I started watching DS in September of 1967, but I nearly completely missed the Eve period when it was originally on because, as I've mentioned before, back then a parent group and a religious group had successfully persuaded the two local ABC affiliates in my area not to run the show at 4pm. One moved it to 8:30am and the other canceled DS outright. In the later market it was picked up by a UHF station and shown at 2:30pm, still too early for kids who were in school. Thankfully the ViewMaster set covered a lot of the eps I missed, so that helped me to find out what was going on, but I didn't get to see the actual eps until 1987 in syndication, almost 20 years after they'd originally run.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #408 (1796) - Barnabas - 'Never TELL her, I MUST never TELL her.'

From "#0407/0408: Robservations 03/21/02: Bedrest For Barnabas"
Angelique caresses Barnabas' hair. She knows he almost told Josette about her, but that isn't important. His family knows now, and will want to see him. If he doesn't keep his mouth shut about her to them, Josette will die. One word, and Josette is doomed! Barnabas agrees he must never tell her anything--he must save her.
[/spoiler]