Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116537 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: ???????? ?? ???????????'? ???????? ???? Slideshow
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »
Wonderful shot of 1995 Stokes today. Thank you! I always feel a pang when I watch these episodes (and it's been well over a decade since I watched the complete 1995 storyline), since of course neither Grayson nor Thayer lived into that time. And Clarice died in that year.

Thanks, MB. Wishing you and yours safety and health today.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 06:36:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1065 - 1995: Prof. Stokes: 'I warn you, you MUST stop going there.'

From "#1064/1065: Robservations 08/14/03: Madness & Death"
Barnabas! says Eliot--in heavens name, Julia, why didn't you take my advice and leave?  We're not leaving until certain things are explained to us, says Barnabas--we were at Collinwood, earlier.  I must warn you, says Eliot, you must stop going there--your lives are in danger. We already know that, says Julia. Something happened to you there? asks Eliot. Yes, says Barnabas, we saw the face of a man in the living room window.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #813 - Amanda: 'You MUST be a lunatic!'

From "Robservations 2/17/03 - #813/814 - Petofi, Restored"
Aristede drags Amanda backwards and turns on the light.  He draws out his Dancing Lady knife and warns her, if you make one sound, you're dead.  She agrees to keep quiet.  Who are you, she asks--what are you doing here?  All unimportant, says Aristede--but you must know what I'm doing here.  She denies that.  Tell me where it is, he demands, if you want to save yourself a lot of misery.  I don't know what you mean! she wails.  "The hand, Miss Harris, the hand!" he says.  She has no idea what he's talking about, and when she tells him so, he accuses her of lying and hits her, knocking her down.  I intend to get the information from you one way or another, he warns, so make it easy on yourself.  Holding her hurt cheek, Amanda suggests, you're a lunatic!  No, just very determined, he says
[/spoiler]

As "thrilled" as I'm sure many are that a MUST quote from Amanda appears as today's installment of the slideshow - after all, many consider her and her lashes to be their favorites on the show, right? [wink2] - I have to confess that I originally had an entirely different quote in mind for today. I'd wanted to use "Ep #807 Jamitofi - 'Hear me, Aristede, you MUST!'" (Jamitofi = Jamison possessed by Petofi) But when I went to get the screen cap for the quote I discovered it's delivered while a shot of the Old House's basement cell's bars is on screen, and quite simply that was not going to work. So fans of Jamitofi's loss is fans of Amanda's gain, as well as other people's nightmare.  [lghy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 11:40:19 PM »
Hilarious shot and quote today! Fab work, MB!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 03:32:23 PM »
Love today's photo! Great shot of Laura and Guthrie.

I'm really appreciating how you're highlighting characters and storylines which do not always get the attention they deserve in this series!

Thanks MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 04:32:16 PM »
I'm really appreciating how you're highlighting characters and storylines which do not always get the attention they deserve in this series!

Well, you know me, I'm all about how the show is so not just Barnabas (especially because that invalidates pre-Barn and 1841PT, which are definitely DS). I'm trying to give all the characters their time in the spotlight...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »
MB, I MUST say I love the theme of your new show!

Thanks.  [snow_smiley]

And, yes, as I'm sure even others have figured out by now, the theme of this new slideshow is "MUST". I and others have frequently mentioned on the forum how often the word is used on the original series - so much so that it's often been deemed on the forum as everyone in Collinsport's favorite word, which you'll notice the title of this topic has now been changed to instead of simply a series of question marks standing in for the actual title. (We've even called attention to one way other versions of DS are truly DS is because of how they frequently use the word "must".)

"Must" is a very forceful word, and when it comes to their verbal interactions, DS characters quite often deal with each other forcefully, so using "must" is a natural outgrowth of that. And lest you think anyone exaggerates the use of "must" on the original show, as I've prepared this slideshow, I've discovered that the slideshow could and probably will go on for years because there are more examples of characters saying "must" than there are eps of the show. I haven't even combed all the eps extensively yet and I've already discovered over 3500 examples! By the time I finish, there will probably be enough examples of using "must" that the slideshow could go on for over 10 years! However, it won't go on anywhere near that long because some example are far more interesting than others, which leads to my plan to do special installments that focus on a certain use of "must". For example, the sub-theme for June will be "30 Days Of To Tell Or Not To Tell," as in quotes that feature some sort of combination of "must tell" or "mustn't tell". I've had great fun assembling those...

And lest you think I've been spending all my time watching all the eps, I actually haven't. What I have been doing is going through the Robservations summations and compiling a list of all the examples where "must" comes up. All the examples of "you," "he," "she," "they," "we," "I," "someone," "it," "there," and other words combine with "must," "must not," and "mustn't". Yes, even just combing Robservations has been time consuming, but it's also been a lot of fun.

So, hopefully everyone will enjoy this new slideshow as much as I'm enjoying putting it together...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 07:34:30 PM »

One thing I didn't say in reply #20 (because I wanted to post reply #21 first) is that I've divided up the storylines the same way they are on the "Caption This!" and "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)" boards. I've also mathematically weighed each storyline based on the number of eps it appears and the number of days in the year and that's how often a given storyline will show up in a given month. For example, "1995-Gerard and Daphne-Summer of '70" appears in only 53 eps, so it appears 1 or 2 times per month in the slideshow - whereas, "1897" appears in 184 eps, so it appears 4 or 5 times per month. Each storyline gets its fair share in the slideshow...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »
I hope Count Petofi shows up eventually. I was talking to a friend last night via videochat and she told me how she and her husband are currently watching his part of the 1897 storyline.

Something for this time of physical isolation...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 12:21:53 AM »
 [pointing-up]  Something tells me Petofi will show up multiple times.  [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 03:09:21 AM »
Fabulous! You know I love our dear Count!

And maybe there will be a shot of Cassandra informing a terrified Liz: "But I MUST TOUCH you... I have puh-ROMISED YOU that..."

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:02 AM »
 [pointing-up]  Perhaps. Though I will let it slip that before that she'll be showing up saying something else...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »
I hope my favorite Barnabas "Yoda-ism" from episode 279 shows up. It must!! (Maybe it's my second favorite of his lines overall.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
If it's the one I'm thinking of, KMR, it IS a classic DS moment.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #891 - Megan - 'It MUST be incredibly old.'

From "Robservations 4/14/03 - 890-891 - The Box Goes Whoosh; the Chosen Ones"
Barnabas is very charmed they've come, and admires Megan's locket. Philip explains that he found it in an odd lot he bid on at an auction. Barnabas asks if he knows the meaning of the symbol--it's the sign of the Naga, the creature without a soul. Megan says she isn't sure she likes that. don't worry, says Barnabas--the same sign is carved on that box over there. Megan goes to check it out, as does Philip, who says he's never seen one like it. It must be incredibly old, comments Megan, and Philip can't guess what country it's from.
[/spoiler]

Unlike the previous examples in the slideshow so far, today's installment doesn't use "MUST" as an imperative. It's the "expressing an opinion about something that is logically very likely" meaning. And just to change things up, we'll be throwing in other examples of that use from time to time...