Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118841 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #990 on: November 18, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #389 (1795) - Naomi - 'He MUST be able to do something for her. He MUST!'

From "#0388/0389: Robservations 03/08/02: To Save a Child"
Sarah's room - Sarah lies in bed, Naomi worriedly watching her. Barnabas comes in and tells his mother the doctor has no idea what's wrong. Perhaps Sarah will recover from her illness as swiftly as he did from his.
[/spoiler]

And again we're still in the period where the Robservations don't have as much detail as they normally do and again this one doesn't even reference the quote. So, after Barnabas enters Sarah's room, Naomi turns to him and asks what the doctor said? "Surely he must have said more to you than he did to me." But Barnabas nods his head no and says as much in a word. And that's when Naomi delivers the quote. To that Barnabas asks if she remembers what happened to him? "I was ill. So ill I thought I was going to die. Even the doctor didn't know what was wrong with me. But suddenly I, I recovered. It was as if I'd never been ill at all. Maybe the same thing will happen to Sarah." ...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 19, 2021, 06:46:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #463 (1968) - Liz - 'Vicki, look at the stone. Look at the date on it. You MUST realize that whatever happened a week ago had nothing to do with this.'

From "#0463/0464: Robservations 04/30/02: Julia's Ultimatum"
Liz kneels beside Vicki and tells her not to cry. He died April 3rd, points out Liz, and it's dusk. She was hanged at dusk, says Vicki, and realizes Peter is going to the gallows at this moment, and she can't stop it. Vicki says Peter is dying because of her, which Liz denies. I killed Noah, not Peter, insists Vicki. Whatever happened to you a week ago has nothing to do with this, says Liz. Vicki wonders if she and Phyllis simply exchanged places--did it all really happen to her? She doesn't believe Peter loved Phyllis, he only loved her, and he didn't kill Noah.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references only part of the quote - but when it comes to the part it does reference, it foes so almost perfectly...

However, as can be clearly seen in the capture, Liz does not kneel beside Vicki -

- she sits down on a rock.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 20, 2021, 02:44:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #740 (1897) - Laura - 'A doll without pins in it. How unusual. He MUST be saving this for someone special.'

From "Robservations 12/16/02 - #740-741 - Hot on Laura's Trail"
Magda stokes up a fire in the cottage, then dusts some furniture. Laura comes from the bedroom. Quentin will mind my being here just as much as I do, says Laura--he'll have to find another place for his little games and to rendezvous--take everything that belongs to Quentin and put it in a box, then return it to him. Magda nods. Do it now and unpack later, Laura orders. Magda begins rifling through the items in the desk as Laura ponders who Quentin is meeting here now--the pretty governess? Beth? He always liked her. Magda finds a deck of Tarot cards. Quentin knows how to read them, says Magda. No one knows what an obsession it all is to him, says Laura, who finds Angelique's knitted doll and notes with surprise there are no pins in it--he must be saving it for someone special. "You, perhaps, Madame," suggests Magda ironically. (Loved her delivery.) No, says Laura, this isn't for me, he's done everything to me he possibly can--and soon I will return the favor
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And I absolutely love this quote. As I've said before, one of the best things about both Laura storylines is that she gets such great quips - the writing is so good.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 21, 2021, 04:00:34 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #893 (1969) - Megan - 'I know. I also know that whoever took it MUST pay for it with his life.'

From "Robservations 4/15/03 - #892-893 - Big Surprise For Carolyn; Mom & Pop Todd"
Megan and Philip frantically search the shop for the book, and finally conclude that someone must have taken it. Why, it has no value to anyone but us? points out Philip. I know, says Megan, and I also know that whoever took it must pay for it--WITH HIS LIFE!, she says through gritted teeth.  She looks around, wondering, what made me say that?--we would never have dreamed of hurting anyone--before. Philip agrees. But it's all different now, we serve him, says Megan, and whoever has taken his book, we will track down.
"And kill!" adds Philip.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 22, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1024 (1970PT) - Maggie - 'I was asleep last night when you came home, I guess. You MUST have gotten up very early.'

From "#1024/1025: Robservations 07/17/03: First the Dress, Then Suicide"
Quentin returns home and asks Hoffman, how are things going for tonight?  Maggie looks hopefully at him. Very well, says Hoffman--Mrs. Stoddard is trying to calm Cook's nerves. Quentin chuckles. He meets Maggie in the drawing room and says "hello." Did you have a busy day? she asks. Oh, so-so, he responds. They are very awkward with each other. Quentin pours himself a drink. I guess I was asleep when you came home last night, she says--you must have gotten up very early. Yes, says Quentin.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations switches things in the first part of the quote but otherwise gets it perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 23, 2021, 06:14:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #1130 (1840) - Angelique - 'Be very careful. Oh, and one more thing-- you MUST not mention Barnabas' name until it is mentioned to you first.'

From "#1129/1130: Robservations 10/13/03: A Certain Blond Returns"
there is an estate here named Collinwood, and a man named Daniel Collins lives there, with two sons, Quentin and Gabriel--go there and talk with one of them.  Do these men know you? he asks.  You're not to mention my name, she warns him.  How do I get in? he asks.  She says she'll leave that up to his gypsy ingenuity.  I'll talk to one of these men, says Laszlo, what will I find out?  You're to find out about a man named Barnabas Collins, she instructs--find out if he's in Collinwood, if anyone knows him.  If he's a relative, says the gypsy, of course someone is going to know him.  She gets a look in her eye and says they may not.
Who is this guy? asks Laszlo, and what's his connection with this room?  "Barnabas Collins is the only man I've ever loved," says Angelique.  Laszlo laughs--except me, of course, he says.  She clasps his hands and, laughing, agrees, except you, of course--now go, and hurry--be very careful--one last thing--you must not mention Barnabas' name until it is mentioned to you first.  Why? he asks.  There are reasons that need not concern you, she says.  Barnabas Collins, says Laszlo, another of your mysteries.  Yes, she says, and the most important mystery of all--now hurry.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations switches things in the first part of the quote but otherwise gets it perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 24, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #208 (1967) - Jason - 'Willie, if you MUST steal something, steal something that won't be missed.'

From "#0208/0209: Abbreviated Robservations 10/17/01: Collins Family Jewels"
He finds Willie in the kitchen adding four spoons of sugar into his coffee and demands back the pin. The scene between them grew tense and very interesting as Jason counted to five and Willie finally gave it up
[/spoiler]

The title of the Robservations says it all. So, what goes on in the lead-up to the quote is that as Willie is sitting at the kitchem table putting sugar in his coffee Jason enters the room. Willie says, "Well, that was quick. Where is it?" (Referring to the $500 they'd previously agreed Jason would ask Liz for him.) But Jason's response is, "I was about to ask you the same question." A confused Willie says he's talking about the money. "And I'm talking about Mrs. Stoddard's pin." Willie feigns ignorance, which angers Jason into warning, "Now, you made one beautiful blunder last night by getting into that fight -- but the one you made just now tops them all!" Willie says he doesn't know what Jason is talking about and neither does Jason. Jason orders Willie to stand up, but Willie says he doesn't feel like standing up. "I said, 'Stand up!'" "What for? It's not time to go yet. And besides, where's the five?!" Jason grabs Willie's shirt and demands to know what's in the pocket. "What for?" "Give it to me!" "It's just a set of old keys." "Oh. Well you won't object to handing it over." Willie says, "Maybe I don't feel like it," as he stands up. Jason warns, "Willie, I'll count five -- and then I'll tell Mrs. Stoddard I found that pin -- and when the police and the insurance investigators arrive, they'll know exactly where to look for it. One..." "You won't turn me in." "Two..." "Because when they get me, they get you too." "There would be no need to get either of us if you hadn't been so stupid!" And Jason pushes a chair aside as he lunges right behind Willie. "Three!" "I don't have it, I've told ya!" "Four! I'm not fooling, Willie! I mean it!" And after a few seconds Willie finally acquiesces and takes the pin from his pocket. Jason grabs it from his hand. "I only wanted it because it was so pretty. (Commercial break) Jason counters with, "You wanted it because it's worth a fortune." And Jason turns and moves away as he asks, "How do I get it through your head that there is a right way and a wrong way to get money?" Then waving the pin he adds, "The wrong way is to steal something that will be missed and reported within the next five minutes." "I expected to be gone before she missed it," is Willie excuse. "Even if you were, the insurance investigators id track you down!" And after that is when Jason delivers the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 25, 2021, 02:54:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #405 (1796) - Countess du Pres - 'They'll think we've both gone mad. No, Josette, you MUST stay and make your explanations before you leave.'

From "#0405/0406: Robservations 03/20/02 - Cursed!"
In Collinwood's drawing room, Josette firmly tells her Aunt Natalie to make her goodbyes--she's leaving Collinwood. Natalie is upset, knowing this is Barnabas' doing (she says she considers HIM the danger to Josette), and even though she forbids her niece in this foolhardy act, Josette is determined.
[/spoiler]

And again we're in the Robservations without much detail. So, what leads up to the quote is after Countess du Pres joins a waiting Josette in Collinwood's drawing room, she learns Josette plans to leave Collinwood in a hour. Countess Du Pres blames Barnabas. But Josette refuses to say what Barnabas told her and insists that nothing her aunt or anyone else can do will stop her. (Theme/Commercial Break) Countess du Pres believes Josette's plans are insanity and forbids her from leaving Collinwood. Josette insists she cannot stop her. The countess begs her to be reasonable, but Josette says there's no time to be reasonable because she must leave as soon as possible. The countess surmises it's because of what Barnabas told her. Josette agrees. Again Countess du Pres asks what Barnabas said and again Josette says they will not discuss it. "I should have seen to it that Barnabas could not see you." "It is good that you did not do that because if you had kept Barnabas from seeing me, I might not have found out that I'm in danger until it was too late." The countess asks what kind of danger, but Josette explains that he could not tell her, that she must trust him to know what he was doing. But Countess du Press says that it seems to her that the only danger she's in is from Barnabas himself. "Lately his behavior has been highly questionable." But again Josette points out that there will not be time for her to say goodbye to everyone and asks her aunt to do it for her. And that's when the quote comes up...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 26, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #491 (1968) - Barnabas - 'It MUST be working.'

From "#0491/0492: Robservations 05/21/02: Son of Barnabas and Julia"
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't summarize the teaser because it's a reworking of the ending to Ep #490. So, here's the pertinent part of the summary from that:

From "#0489/0490: Robservations 05/20/02: If Both Live..."
Julia starts the liquids flowing through the glass beakers, turns on the electricity, lifts both switches at once. Barnabas' body arches in pain as the electricity crackles. Dials roll, paper tapes run through the machine. Barnabas moans, and he tells Julia it must be working, he feels himself getting weaker, his life slipping away from him. He seems to welcome this, but Julia appears alarmed. Julia grows uneasy; puffs of smoke erupt from several places, unnerving her, and she spins the dials crazily. She turns off the power, then checks Barnabas' pulse. He's still alive!

However, the reworking is an abbreviated version of what was before. For example: there are far fewer shots of the equipment - (even though the previous Robservations doesn't reference it) when Julia checks on Adam's body, she doesn't check for a pulse before she goes over to Barnabas - Barnabas doesn't moan but Julia goes over to him anyway to ask what's wrong, to which he delivers the quote as his answer - and while we don't see shots of some of the pieces of equipment that we had seen previously, we see shots of pieces of equipment that we didn't see previously...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 27, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #821 (1897) - King Johnny - 'You finally decided that holding out on your people was a little too dangerous. You MUST have placed it there while I was upstairs, didn't you?'

From "Robservations 2/21/03 - #821-822 - Petofi Threatens; Magda Escapes"
[/spoiler]

Once again the Robservations doesn't summarize the teaser. It's a reworking of the ending to Ep #820. So, here's the pertinent part of the summary from that:

From " Robservations #819-820"
Magda wrings her hands nervously, walking around the mess of the Old House drawing room.  She rights the candles in the stand.  Johnny returns, empty-handed, and says, I see nothing but a lying, thieving gypsy.  She begs him.  He reminds her, call me "King Johnny."  I don't have the hand and don't know who does, she says, and I can't tell you who does.
You are Magda, who can say anything you want to say, he says--maybe you need some help in remembering, he suggests--I will give you that help.  He hits her across the face, first with the front of his hand, then the back of it.  How about that?--do you remember the name? asks Johnny.  He draws out the knife--or do you need more help?  Magda spots something under an overturned chair--the box containing the hand!  King Johnny takes the box and says, you finally realized going against your people was a little too dangerous--you were clever, as always, you slipped it there while I was upstairs.  I swear I didn't, says Magda, because I don't have it--the box must be empty!

However, again the reworking is an abbreviated version of what was before. For example, when it comes to what he actually says in Ep #820, which is "You finally realized that going against your people was a little too dangerous--but I swear you're clever, as always, Magda--you slipped it there while I was upstairs, didn't you?" as can be seen with what's quoted from Ep #821, he doesn't repeat saying, "but I swear you're clever, as always, Magda" - and rather than saying, "you slipped it there while I was upstairs, didn't you?" he says, "You MUST have placed it there while I was upstairs, didn't you?" and that qualifies it as a MUST quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 28, 2021, 04:26:49 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1057 (1970PT) - Julia - 'I'm so tired, so very tired. But I MUST not fall asleep. I've got to stay awake-- it's my only hope. I've got to stay awake.'

From "#1056/1057: Robservations 08/08/03: More Death; A Near-Miss Rescue"
In the room where she is being kept prisoner, Julia muses, I could hear someone if they were coming, and they could hear me if she called to them--but she hears nothing, and she's so tired, so very tired. . .but I must not fall asleep, I've got to stay awake, it's my only hope--"I've got to stay awake!"
[/spoiler]

Even though the Robservations doesn't present the entire quote as a quote, it references it perfectly...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Timothy Stokes - 'I want to cooperate, Inspector, but I MUST refuse to participate in such obvious idiocies') was back on November 25th of 2020, the second (Roxanne - 'No. I can't STAY here any longer. I MUST GO') was back on January 19th, and the third (Roxanne - 'You killed him and you MUST die for it!') was back on August 4th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 30, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #480 (1968) - Barnabas - 'You MUST let Clark live.'

From "#0479/0480: Robservations 05/13/02: Forget, Jeff, Forget!"
[/spoiler]

Once again the Robservations doesn't summarize the teaser. It's a reworking of the ending to Ep #479. So, here's the pertinent part of the summary from that:

From "#0479/0480: Robservations 05/13/02: Forget, Jeff, Forget!"
Barn grows more agitated and threatens to call Julia himself. Lang refuses to believe Julia could hypnotize Jeff or keep his secret. Barnabas heads for the phone--he's calling Julia! Lang orders him to put down the phone!

But that doesn't include the quote for a good reason because Barnabas doesn't deliver the quote in the original version. How things work in Ep #480 is that the scene opens with Barnabas looking at the unconscious Jeff on a gurney. He then turns to Lang behind him and delivers the quote. Lang's response is, "No." Though Barnabas goes over to Lang as he says, "But Julia will make him forget and she will keep your secret. I swear." But Lang insists, "I said, 'No!'" "I'm going to call her no matter what you say." He moves to the phone, picks up the receiver, and is about to dial when Lang orders, "Put down that phone!"...

Can anyone even imagine what things would have been like if things had worked out and Lang would have used Jeff's face for the body? Can anyone even imagine if the experiment had played out the way it was first presented as Barnabas' being/personality transferring into a new body, meaning RD would have played Barnabas?!  [hall2_shocked]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 01, 2021, 01:34:55 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #249 (1967) - Liz - 'I've decided that I cannot go on living the life I've been leading. I MUST remake it, the best way possible, for everyone's happiness. So I want to say... I want you to know...'

From "#0249/0250: Robservations 11/16/01: Maggie Fakes It"
Liz and Jason come in and Liz makes the announcement
--she and Jason are going to get married! Roger, Vicki and Carolyn look completely shocked, but Carolyn also looks like she's going to throw up.
[/spoiler]

Even though this Robservations is one of the ones that doesn't have much detail, it's unnecessary to summarize how the quote comes about because it directly precedes Liz' announcement that she and Jason are going to get married.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Roger - 'Well, you MUST admit, Liz, keeping a room under lock and key for 18 years is bound to invite a certain amount of curiosity') was back on November 15th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 01, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #822 (1897) - Gregory - 'The torments that we MUST live through.'

From "Robservations 2/21/03 - #821-822 - Petofi Threatens; Magda Escapes"
I, personally, will bring your luggage here.  No, I must think, she insists, you can't force me into this!  She runs off, Trask calling, "Wait!"  He races past Pansy/Charity, who teases him about having had a fight with his girl...  He calls her Charity.  She asks why--you know who I am, I'm Pansy Faye!  She sings her song and bumps him with her hip (an absolutely riotous scene), swinging her butt around.  Trask demands she come into the drawing room.  She bursts into laughter.  No, you don't get me into that room, no sir, she says, I know your kind.
[/spoiler]

Despite the fact this Robservations doesn't lack detail, the quote isn't referenced at all. However, it occurs after Charansy bumps Trask with her hip and continues to sing and dance...

Some things that I must correct so far as the excerpt goes are that, while Amanda does indeed race past Charansy (and we hear but do not see the outside door open and close), Trask goes no farther than the doorway of the drawing room until after he has addressed Charansy, first simply as "daughter" before Charansy teases him about having a fight with his girl, during which time he walks over to her, and then by her full name, "Charity Trask!"

And I love the screen capture I was able to get:

As Robin says, it's a riotous scene!!  [hall2_grin]  And we can all thank Midnite for picking the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 02, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »

Ep #301 (1967) - Barnabas - 'I'm glad to see you brimming with such optimism. Your enterprises MUST be going well.'

From "#0301/0302: Robservations 01/04/02: Thrust & Parry"
Barnabas comes into the Blue Whale, where Burke is happily celebrating what he must think will be Vicki's acceptance of his marriage proposal. In one of the most fascinating and fun exchanges I've ever seen on DS, they sit down at the same table, Burke buys Barnabas a brandy, and they launch into a discussion that clearly delineates their adversarial relationship. Barn says he, too, might have something to celebrate--and that it would be nothing without Burke.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations is another that doesn't have much detail. And even though the scene the quote comes from (the famous thrust/parry) is more detailed than most in the ep, the quote isn't referenced at all. However, how it fits in is that after Burke orders Barnabas a brandy and they sit at a table together, Barnabas observes that Burke seems to be in the midst of a celebration. Burke responds by saying not really-he just feels rather good, to which Barnabas says that could be reason enough. He then asks what it is that makes Burke feel so good. "Uh, the future--yes, let's call it the future," says Burke with a big smile. And after that is when Barnabas delivers the quote. But Burke points out that it has nothing to do with business, it's purely personal...

This scene is definitely a favorite among many fans and is certainly one of Malcolm Marmorstein's best...