Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116826 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »
I wonder if they ever put back in the blooper from the scene where she's exorcising Barny-boo and she is incanting ponderously "We must go..." and then obviously can't recall at all what comes next. And then from offstage you can hear a nasal male voice in a Brooklyn accent bark, "Go to the old house!" "Ahhh, we must go... to the Old House..." That was utterly classic DS but some fool excised it... from the best of intentions, of course.

If I'm recalling correctly, that blooper was cut from the initial DVD release of Collection 6, Disc 4. And I do seem to recall MPI restoring it at some point and possibly even offering replacement discs. The blooper is definitely part of the version of the ep that's included in the boxed set of the entire series because I just checked...

Though when it comes to edits, nothing could be worse than what you know who did to some of the eps for their Sci-Fi Channel showings. He cut lines, dropped act ending stingers, merged scenes, and even changed music cues!!  ::)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
Fabulous shot of Bathia today! I love her.

And for anyone who might have missed it, here it is:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #211 (1967) - Caretaker - 'You TELL him he MUST never come here again.'

From "#0210/0211: Robservations 10/18/01: The Courtly Cousin From England"
Naomi Collins, wasn't she the woman who was supposed to be buried with all her jewelry? Asks Jason. That's the question HE asked me, says the caretaker, the man who was here last night. What did you tell him? asks Jason. I can't answer anymore questions, says the caretaker. I don't think you have to, says Jason, and everything seems perfectly OK in here, a little damp perhaps, but that can't be helped. Can't you feel anything in the air? Demands the caretaker. I can't even feel the air, says Jason--now tell me, where did this young man go after he left here? I don't know, I didn't see him, says the caretaker. Isn't it possible he wasn't here in the first place? Asks Jason. Oh, but someone was here, the lock was broken, it must have been him, insists the caretaker. If Willie had been here, there would have been more evidence than that, says Jason--he's not the kind to get this far and just stop. Stop what? asks the caretaker excitedly.   Nothing, says Jason hastily, the important thing is, I'm satisfied he wasn't here--thanks for the tour. You tell him he must never come here again, says the caretaker. I was just telling you, he wasn't the one who was here, says Jason, then stops, looks down and spots Willie's cigarette butt on Sarah's coffin.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2020, 02:44:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #182 (1967) - Dr. Guthrie - 'I MUST ask you to keep the greatest secrecy about everything I'm going to TELL you.'

From "#0182/0183: Robservations 09/27/01: Peter Lays His Cards on the Table, and His Head in the Noose"
It wasn't Mrs. Stoddard I wanted to talk to you about, says Peter, it was Mrs. Collins. Before you begin, says Roger, if it's on the subject of keeping David from her... I'm afraid it is, says Peter. Then the discussion is over, says Roger. Please, says Peter, while you were away, certain new information was brought to our attention. And that is precisely where I would like it to remain--good morning, Doctor, says Roger, and turns to leave. Peter stops him--"Mr. Collins, do you want your son to die?": queries Peter--"I am very serious about this." Roger turns to look at him. Are you still implying that my wife offers a serious threat to my son? demands Roger. I'll do more than imply it, he says, I'll come right out and say it--we have evidence that your wife is threatening to destroy your son. Evidence?--facts? demands Roger, what are they? I must ask you to keep the greatest secrecy about everything I'm going to tell you, says Peter
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2020, 05:33:01 PM »
MB, what a lovely photo of John Lasell and Big Lou for today's selection. And extra nice to feature Roger given that it's Father's Day!

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
MB, what a lovely photo of John Lasell and Big Lou for today's selection.

And here it is for anyone who may have missed it:

And extra nice to feature Roger given that it's Father's Day!

And what an exemplary specimen of fatherhood he is! NOT! Although, in later storylines he has his moments...

And it almost seems as if Dr. Guthrie is making more appearances in the slideshow than he did during the Laura storyline!!  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #66 (1966) - Roger - 'Well, if you MUST know, she was going to TELL me about a dinner party she had with Sam Evans.'

From "#0065/0066: Robservations 07/03/01: Showdown!"
That means you had 40 minutes to kill, says Burke. Roger looks at him. I really should use that word, should I? asks Burke--you had 40 minutes with nothing to do--is that better? I had a great deal to do, says Roger--we're not all like you, some of us have to work for a living--Bill Malloy brought me some papers from the office to go over--I was interrupted at first by your friend, Miss Winters, then I went back to work studying the papers, and then I left the house at 10 of 11, so, you see, I didn't have any time at all, as you suggest, to KILL! You have never mentioned papers before, says Burke. They were no concern of yours, says Roger, they were business papers. I suppose you could produce these papers, challenges Burke. My dear fellow, I could produce reams of papers if I had to, says Roger. I bet you could, says Burke So you see, it's impossible that I had anything to do with Bill Malloy's death at 10:45 since I was right here in this room at the time. I see, says Burke, it's just too bad you don't have anyone to verify this time. Oh but I do, says Roger. Your sister--I'm sure Elizabeth would swear anything for you, says Burke. Roger grins and says not at all--your good friend Miss Winters can verify it. Vicki? asks Burke, puzzled and unhappy--she's mixed up in this? It isn't a question of being mixed up in anything, says Roger--it just so happens she came downstairs about that time to tell me something. Something important, guesses Burke--then she must know what time it was. If you must know, says Roger, she was telling me about a dinner party she was going to have with Sam Evans. Oh, yes, says Burke. Surely you'll take her word for it, says Roger. Maybe, if I heard her say it, agrees Burke. Would I tell you something like that if it wasn't true? asks Roger--it would be too easy to check on! Then suppose we check on it, says Burke--go get her and tell her to come down here and say what you just said.
[/spoiler]

Once again Robservations doesn't include a direct quote as Robin put Roger's line in her own words...

I love this scene. I especially love the look on Roger's face when he tells Burke his alibi is Vicki, as well as the look on Burke's face when he learns that. Not at all what Burke was expecting.  [ghost_nowink]

And as a bit of trivia, this happens to be the second time a quote written by Francis Swann appears in this slideshow (the first (Vicki - 'You MUST have heard me TELL Joe it was seaweed.') was back on the 12th). He seems to get very little attention in fandom but he wrote some great scripts (including ones involving THE PEN, introducing Mrs. Johnson, and dealing with Josette's and Bill Malloy's ghosts, including their groundbreaking first eps in the ectoplasm, as it were). As we know Art Wallace single-handedly wrote the first 8 weeks of the show. Understandably, he said that nearly killed him, so they added another writer beginning with Ep #41. Interestingly enough, though, the last script Wallace wrote was for Ep #85 (he was replaced by Ron Sproat as scriptwriter but remained on as head writer) and Swann's last script was for Ep #113 (he was replaced by Malcolm Marmorstein). Swann only wrote 36 eps during his tenure on the show. It would be fascinating to know why he didn't last very long and if DC's notorious reputation for how he treated writers on the show had anything to do with Swann's departure. Unless I've missed it along the way somewhere, the reason(s) why he left has(have) not been revealed...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1006 (1970PT) - Larry Chase - 'I MUST TELL you that I'm even more appalled at what you're doing.'

From "#1006/1007: Robservations 07/02/03: Gladstone's Blackmail: PT From the Other Side"
In the lab, Larry Chase strongly advises Cyrus, end your friendship with Yaeger--he's dangerous--I met him tonight as Chris told me to, but after meeting him, I must tell you I'm even more appalled at what he's doing. Did you get the signature for the bank account? asks Cyrus. Yes, says Chase, but I tore it up after getting it--I can't believe you won't listen to reason about him. Cyrus,  shocked, says, I'm not in the mood to argue about this. Explain, be more specific, insists Larry, as to why you need Yaeger--surely someone can replace him, perform whatever services he's doing for you.  I can only tell you, says Cyrus, that I'm not going to change my mind about this--I want that bank account opened in his name--and one more thing--I want you to change my will--in the event of my death or disappearance, everything that belongs to me shall go to John Yaeger.
[/spoiler]

As you can see, once again Robservations mixes up a pronoun rather than use the direct quote. It uses "he's," as in "what he's doing," rather than the correct "what you're doing." And within the context of the Robservations that mix up can easily give the impression that Chase is appalled at what Yaeger is doing (which is the way I initially read it) rather than it's Cyrus' behavior Chase is appalled by, which doesn't become completely clear unless one watches the actual ep and hears the correct line.

And as a bit of trivia, as many probably already know, Larry Chase was never suppose to be in this ep. The script was originally written with Don Briscoe's Chris Collins continuing along the lines of his objections to Yaeger that had been established in Ep#1001. But when it became clear that Briscoe would no longer be able to appear on DS, the character of Larry Chase was quickly created, Chris' dialogue was reworked for Chase, and Ken McEwen, who actually worked as DS' Associate Director, stepped into the role.

What would be interesting to know is if Chris' fate was supposed to the same as Chase's fate. I suspect not because Chase was merely a character of convenience who had to be created to service the plot points that Chris was intended to uncover concerning Yaeger. And I suppose we'll never know what Chris' plotline beyond that might have been had Briscoe continued on the show...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2020, 05:45:43 PM »
Don Briscoe's health problems and sudden departure is discussed by Danny Horn here:

https://darkshadowseveryday.com/2017/03/01/episode-1001/

Horn sometimes provides details I don't recall having read before, but most of this is familiar to me from various sources.

Francis Swann was a wonderful writer, and I guess he isn't discussed more (if at all) because all his scripts were pre-Barnabas. I read one of Swann's novels several years ago and it was a good book. I gave it away to a friend who is a huge DS fan (and also a fan of gothic fiction).

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »
Francis Swann was a wonderful writer, and I guess he isn't discussed more (if at all) because all his scripts were pre-Barnabas.

And if that's the reason, it's a terrible shame. It certainly can't be that he wrote so few scripts because Ralph Ellis, who wrote only 2 scripts (but what amazing scripts they are), gets discussed. And when it comes to Ellis, we do know that his abrupt departure did indeed involve DC's behavior...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #813 (1897) - Nora - 'But you MUSTN'T TELL anyone!'

From "Robservations 2/17/03 - #813/814 - Petofi, Restored"
Nora sleeps, Raggedy Ann at her side.  Jamison stealthily enters her room, closing the door.  He calls to Nora in a whisper, urging her to awaken.  She looks at him, surprised, and turns on her light.  What are you doing up so late? She asks.  I couldn't sleep, he says, I'm worried about something--why did Tim come to see you, and left without seeing me?  "Who said he came to see me?" asks Nora evasively.  He did, didn't he? asks Jamison.  Yes, she admits, but how did you know?  I peeked out of my room and saw Tim leaving, says Jamison.  "You mustn't tell anyone," cautions Nora--"he made me promise!"  It's just that he doesn't like me anymore, says Jamison, acting wounded.  No, says Nora--I told Tim you weren't feeling well and were resting.  I bet he saw everyone else in the whole house, except for me, accuses Jamison.  No, says Nora, I was the only one Tim saw.  Did he tell you that? asks Jamison.  Yes, she says.  I bet Tim saw Charity, or Beth, says Jamison. . .   He barely knows Beth, protests Nora, and he and Charity have never gotten along very well--he came specially to see me!
[/spoiler]

Today's quote marks the third time a second "MUST" quote has been taken from an episode. The first quote from this ep (Amanda: 'You MUST be a lunatic!') was back on April 7th.

And interestingly enough, it just happened that today's and yesterday's screen caps came from kinescope copies of the episodes, which is why they're both in B&W. Though what's even more interesting is that this ep was missing when DS was shown in local syndication (and it isn't alone in that because 6 eps were missing even though Worldvision was in possession of kinescope copies of them or, in the case of 3 eps, the Master Tapes - Worldvision simply chose not to include them, which I've always found very bizarre!). This and the other missing eps weren't shown on TV again until the SciFi Channel first ran them between 1992 and 1993 (though they also came out on VHS between 1991 and 1993, and I loved how MPI called them "long-lost episodes" even though they weren't lost).

Unlike most of the other missing eps, at least this one had two photos that had been circulated. They first appeared in the February '70 issue of 16 Spec as part of their Spec Ticklers, a feature of the magazine that took various photos and gave them humorous captions and/or dialogue (DS appeared in the feature at least twice, for this ep and for hoDS). The first photo was actually from this scene (though apparently David Henesy didn't wear -

- the cape during rehearsal). And coincidentally, the second photo was from the scene -

- used back on April 7th. A somewhat cropped version of that photo also appeared in -

1990's DS Companion. If a copy of the first photo ever appeared in a PomPress book, I can't recall which one, though I did scan through a few without finding it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »
Wow wow WOW, Mysterioso darling, what a FABULOUS shot of Cavada Humphrey today! I love this so much.

I don't recall anything about Ralph Ellis. Will have to try and look that up.

Many thanks to you and Midnite for a fascinating series!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
this ep was missing when DS was shown in local syndication (and it isn't alone in that because 6 eps were missing even though Worldvision was in possession of kinescope copies of them or, in the case of 3 eps, the Master Tapes - Worldvision simply chose not to include them

I forgot to mention that Ep #763, which had a quote appear in the slideshow on the 16th, was also among the missing (and with that one Worldvision was actually in possession of the color Master Tape). And I also forgot to mention that a really nice thing is the Fest's Anne Wilson put together a pamphlet using the actual act summation pages from the scripts of the missing eps and offered it to fans who wanted to know what had happened in the missing eps. It was quite helpful in filling in some plot points, especially when at the time she put the pamphlet together we had no idea DS would ever come out on home video. Oh, the Dark Ages of fandom.  [ghost_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #648 (1968) - Madame Findley - 'I will aid you in your fight against the spirit you oppose, but you MUST TELL me where to look!'

From "Robservations 9/16/02 - #647/648 - Madame Findlay Tries to Help"
Liz looks at the Tarot card again. Madame F comes downstairs and tells her she felt astral disturbances upstairs, but more strongly downstairs. Two forces seem to be battling one another. Madame F notes. Liz doesn't really believe in the occult, unless driven to it as she has been (how could she possibly deny it?) Madame F. walks into the drawing room. Strange, she keeps returning to this room--there are vibrations she feels no where else in other rooms. She asks if there's someone connected with Liz' family or the house's history whose first name begins with M. Liz doesn't think so. Madame F. feels the letter M strongly here. She asks to be left alone here; the person who spoke to her earlier seems to be scared of others. Suddenly, the medium says, "There is a curse on this house." Liz is shocked. Madame F is positive of her assessment.
Liz closes the doors, leaving Madame F. alone. The latter wanders around the room, listening, holding out her arms like antennae. She calls to "M" for help. Come to me, she calls. "I will aid you in your fight against the spirit you oppose, but you must tell me where to look! Keep trying to reach me, I am waiting for you!" Suddenly, she throws up her arms. "YOU ARE HERE!"
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
what a FABULOUS shot of Cavada Humphrey today!

And here it is:

I love the way she gestures while beseeching "M" and I was very glad to be able to capture that.

Many thanks to you and Midnite for a fascinating series!

This "30 Days Of To Tell Or Not To Tell" has turned out to be the most fun I've had so far with this slideshow. But there's so much more to come, including at least one or two more sub-theme. Midnite and I have yet to discuss what it will be and when it will be turning up, but we already have two ideas on the table. "I don't understand" gets the lion's share of attention as an often repeated phrase on the show, but there are most definitely a few others. Some are all too often used as excuses when someone doesn't want to explain something - and a couple of those tend to include "MUST" - so they're perfect for this slideshow...