Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 351433 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1800 on: May 26, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »
Given my love of all things Helena Bonham Carter in the Depp/DS film (as well as many of her other films), I swear that I didn't actually write this article under an assumed name([ghost_nowink]):

Helena Bonham Carter 50th birthday: Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, Fight Club and more highlights

And among the "and more" is the Depp/DS film, of which the author says that "while it may be an acquired taste, it is one of our favourites of the trio", the "the trio" being Bonham Carter, Tim Burton, and Johnny Depp. And that's not the only positive thing the author has to say regarding the film.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »
Unpopular Opinion: Tim Burton's 'Dark Shadows' Was Awesome. Here's Why...

I swear I didn't write this under a pseudonym (if I did, there would have been much more regarding HBC [ghost_wink]). And while several will disagree, many of us will agree with the author's opinions. But it's unfortunate that the article mentions the guesstimate that the film cost $150 million as if it's fact because as we've discussed numerous times, it isn't - it's a guess - and only one out of about 4 guesses that range from $60 to $150 million. And as Burton has gone on record in the New York Times as saying the film did make money, that would mean that at the time he said that it could be deduced that the most likely cost of the film was right around $100 million. Plus the $245.5 million worldwide gross figure is also off because that's only up to the point that WB reported box office figures, but, for example, we know for certain that the film continued to play for at least 9 weeks afterward in the US and who knows how many weeks in other countries...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: June 13, 2016, 10:12:20 PM »
It's going to be fascinating to see what the legacy of the film Warcraft will be in the US. Thus far its foreign box office has been quite successful but mostly every article I've read about its US opening this past weekend has said that the film's a "flop" because it opened in this country with only $24.4 million. So, like they've done so many times in the past, are many US reporters going to consider the film a "flop" despite what it might do worldwide? It's probably too early to say for sure - but why do I suspect they will because, well, after all, in their minds it's only how a film performs in the US that counts...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »
I enjoyed those photo's, glad you got the alert, I'd have never viewed them otherwise. I missed all the hoopla in '12.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 05, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
If I'm interpreting this page correctly after having my browser translate it -

Dark Shadows
HD Cinema Village , 13:50

- it looks like the Depp/DS film is playing in some theater in Greece.

It lists the film as 120 minutes, but I doubt what they're showing is longer than what was originally released...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:01 AM »
it could be noted that at the fest there was not a single reference to the film in any way. no merchandise. nothing...

it simply does not exist to most fans.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:05 AM »
it simply does not exist to most fans.

Well, I don't know if we can say most fans - but a certain someone is determined to make it seem as if it doesn't exist. But what would be absolutely fascinating would be to remind that certain someone of the things he said while the film was in production and leading up to its release. But sadly, I doubt anyone will ever do that at a Fest.  [ghost_nowink]

I commend The Friends Of The 1991 DS group for not only being more than willing to acknowledge it, they actually screen it...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:13 AM »
whatever planned or hoped for "synergies" between the OS and the film have long since fizzled out.

JP knows it's a toxic subject better left unaddressed.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 06, 2016, 03:20:11 AM »
whatever planned or hoped for "synergies" between the OS and the film have long since fizzled out.

Well, yes, that is certainly true. But then, the same could be said of any hoped for "synergies" between the OS and the '91 series. These days the '91 series is also pretty much ignored at the Fests as if it doesn't exist. The fact of the matter is that there is definitely a contingent in fandom that will never accept any versions of DS other than the original, just as there is still a whole contingent of Star Trek fans for whom there will never be another Star Trek except for the original. Though the big difference between the DS and Trek fandoms is that Trek has been able to produce versions of itself that have been hugely successful apart from the original and they can stand both apart from and together with the original - but for whatever reason, subsequent versions of DS have never taken off to the same degree as the original. And until something like that can happen, until there can be a newer version of DS that can stand just as successfully on its own, if such a thing can ever happen, more than likely there will never be any sort of synergy between the OS and a new version of DS like there is between the various versions of Trek...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 06, 2016, 03:25:45 AM »
It's very similar to what happened with the NBC show. The actors were invited and actually attended several festivals, then nothing. It's only in the last few years that fandom has reevaluated the series, if not embracing it.
The Depp film remains an extremely polarizing element in fandom, ever four years later. The amount of venom spewed out is excessive. If the biggest thing that people have to complain about in their lives is a Dark Shadows movie, then they're pretty damn lucky.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 06, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
when i first joined the fandom in the early aughts the 91 revival was the hot button, toxic subject.

i think it's been reevaluated in the years since the movie particularly because it was so darn serious. it wasn't a "comedy" which is what a disproportionate number of fans still erroneously label the film.

it's not so bad "by comparison".

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 06, 2016, 05:44:54 PM »
And I've mentioned this before but before the '91 series the target of derision was NoDS. That film was hated by many in fandom for a good 25 years - not necessarily because of any of the enforced editing but mainly because Barnabas isn't in it. As such, the comments often went like "It's not DS without Barnabas," which, of course, completely invalidates the first nine months of the show as well as the last three. But then back then few fans had even seen the first nine months. And who's to say if finally being able to see those nine months on Sci-Fi or on VHS had anything to do with it, but right around the mid '90s the tide began to turn and more and more favorable comments about NoDS were often seen. At first it still was the case that more fans liked hoDS better - but today you're just as likely to see fans say they actually prefer NoDS. Saying THAT would have been considered blasphemy during those 25 years of hatred and would have prompted responses similar to those that have been seen against fans of the Depp/DS film.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 06, 2016, 07:47:53 PM »
when i first joined the fandom in the early aughts the 91 revival was the hot button, toxic subject.
I remember a very vocal and significant number of fans protesting the cancellation of the show and campaigning to have it brought back.

I agree with your earlier comments about the Depp film and other versions being totally ignored, except for the '04 pilot. That got screened again at this year's festival.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 07, 2016, 12:49:25 AM »
did it? when? i was just there for the day Saturday.