Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350606 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1350 on: October 09, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
And another batch of new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And, of course, be careful if you haven't already seen the film because the topics may contain spoilers.  [hall2_wink]

And BTW, DS was mentioned simply as Burton's first film this year during Access Hollywood's weekend review of Frankenweenie.

And speaking of that film, even though I'm sure there will be many who will proclaim it a bomb, this past weekend's performance at the box office was actually pretty much within what Disney was expecting and what several box office prognosticators were predicting. Though it did fall short of what the guy at Box Office Mojo predicted. But then, he's been way off quite often recently, so in his estimation probably at least half of the films that have come out in recent weeks have flopped. Apparently proclaiming films flops must give him great satisfaction lately because it would certainly seem like he inflates several of his estimates just so that later he can proclaim those films as flops.  [hall2_rolleyes]  And in the case of Frankenweenie, he completely seemed to overlook the fact that the film is in 3D, and with few exceptions this year, 3D films haven't been attracting anywhere near the audiences that they did last year. And it's odd that he didn't factor that in because he was considering such things earlier the year. But then, earlier in the year he'd also made a strong case for why DS wouldn't make the amounts of money that he suddenly thought was inexcusable that it didn't make when he made an about-face regarding DS in his assessment of the summer films.  [hall2_angry]  So, who knows what's happened to him lately? It's almost like he's been replaced with a totally different person.  [hall2_undecided]

151 days 12 hours 55 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 10, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »
For those buying the Blu-Ray, as appposed to the DVD, you do realize that in a couple of years at the most that Blu-Ray will go the way of Beta, VCR, LD and DVD.  Something new will come along, and Blu-Ray will be yesterday's news.  You'll be scrambling to find a Blu-Ray player when yours no longer works, and you have to shell out much-buckos to replace it.  And when you do, that'll no longer be "trendy."

Ah, technology.  Who woulda thunk it would bleed us dry.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26:46 AM »
At least in the disc world chances are whatever comes after Blu-ray will be backward compatible and will also play Blu-rays just like Blu-ray players also play DVDs and CDs.  [hall2_wink]

151 days 20 hours 26 minutes 46 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 10, 2012, 04:01:00 AM »
i had a fun time explaining to a much younger coworker recently that for many, many years(decades in fact)the telephone was the telephone.

the style changed periodically(wasn't "harvest gold" big in the 70's)but otherwise you picked up the receiver, dialed the number, and spoke into it. and people were unable to "screen" their calls and simply picked up a ringing phone to see who it was.

crazy. [hall_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 10, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
And yet more new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And, as usual, view them at your own risk.  [hall2_wink]

What's amusing about this one -

- are the signs on the outside of the building behind Burton:

Particularly the one that reads: "Why not stuff your fish just for the halibut?!!" Who knows how long it took someone on the production design crew to come up with that one?  [lghy]  And obviously he/she did it just to amuse him/herself because it was never really going to be noticed in the film. But little did he/she know that here on the forum we post screen caps and would indeed notice.  [b003]

152 days 12 hours 52 minutes 25 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

David

« Reply #1355 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »
 [candle_in_skull]

Depp Shadows #2 in Venezuela for it's second week.
Box office gross in that country now $889,673.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1356 on: October 12, 2012, 02:30:21 AM »
^^^ I love those signs, MB, thanks for spotting them!   [hall2_smiley]  Great news about the Venezuela box office, too, David!

According to Hollywood Reporter, DS came in 3rd on both the Nielson disc sales chart and the Blu Ray chart.  Not bad, since the behmoth Avengers was at #1 and the Disney classic Cinderella was #2! 

'Avengers' Remains No. 1 on Home Entertainment Charts

I have been looking for any info about overall sales numbers, but one site that reports this, the-numbers.com, hasn't been updated since Sept. 23rd  [hall2_sad]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 12, 2012, 04:28:25 AM »
It's been sold out or nearly sold out almost everywhere I've gone the past week.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
Phenomenally, DS is STILL playing in Hooksett, NH for what is at least its 11th week! (I wish we knew if it had been playing before the week of August 3-9.) And, yup, it's still playing with the theater's full set of showings during the week.  [hall2_cool]

This week Hit and Run and Step Up Revolution, both of which opened long after DS, have closed and Bully and Brave have opened. And DS still has more showings during week than The Dark Knight Rises[thumbleft]

154 days 10 hours 16 minutes 29 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 12, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
As some have already noticed, I've posted another batch of new screen caps and set ups to the film's Complete this Phrase / Fill in the blank(s) board. Those who haven't already seen the film should beware of possible spoilers.  [hall2_wink]

I love those signs, MB, thanks for spotting them!   [hall2_smiley]

I though they were a hoot and a half when I spotted them in the background of some of the screen caps.  [hall2_grin]  And who knows what else might be somewhere on the sets but we just haven't spotted it?  [hall2_wink]

And speaking of looking for things, I forgot to mention that when I watched the film last week, I kept an eye out for A Clockwork Orange on the theater marquee, but I never saw it. So, unless I'm blind, it's looking like whatever scene it appeared in ended up on the cutting room floor along with all that other material that we might never see.  [hall2_sad]

154 days 11 hours 46 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 12, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Those signs in the background are a riot! I remember seeing similar ones in the shops in Old Orchard Beach when I was a kid, so someone really did their homework.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
Apparently DS places differently depending on what list you check out and what sources it's using. For example, I forgot to check the Philly Blurbs lists on Friday, and this week it has DS at #7 on the rentals list and at #4 on the sales list. And Philly Blurbs indicates it uses the Pazsaz Entertainment Network, Amazon.com, wire-service and website reports as its sources.

Now, never having even heard of the Pazsaz Entertainment Network, I decided to check their lists directly, so I Googled them and discovered that they have DS as #2 on the Top Selling DVD list, #2 on the Top Selling Blu-ray list, but DS is nowhere to be seen on their Top Renting DVD list, despite DS being #7 on Philly Blurbs' overall chart. So apparently DS is fairly high on their other sources' rental lists, whereas with DS being #2 on the Pazsaz Entertainment Network's sales lists, it must be lower on some of Philly Blurbs' other source lists for it to be #4 on theirs. Unfortunately, though, I don't have the time now to check/track down those other sources to see where DS might place on them.

157 days 12 hours 4 minutes 28 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1363 on: October 15, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
Villafane Studios has done an awesome pumpkin carving of Johnny's Barnabas Collins   [hall2_smiley]  Check it out:

thefancarpet.com: Johnny Depp goes under the knife for Halloween

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 15, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
Oh wow - awesome is right! Thanks so much for sharing the link, madscntst.  [hall2_smiley]