Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349440 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1515 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »
Hey guys...sorry it's been a while.  My father got sick last week with BLOG clots...he is much better now.  WHEW. I sure hope things calm down from here on out...

Anyway, hello cousins.  I was curious if we know how much DS has brought in with ticket sales/and DVD sales?  Come MB....u have to know! :)

[snow_happy] to be back! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
Glad everything is okay now, Taeylor!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 23, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »
with Liz stepping into Julia's role in the original show as Barn's ally and defender.
Hmm...Vicky and Maggie were squeezed into one person in the movie.  I wonder if Liz and Julia are also actually one person, whom some evil spell caused to be separated at birth into two people.  If so, the eventual joyous reintegration of Liz and Julia into one person is becoming less and less likely as time goes on.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 23, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
Hi Lydia, well, my take is that "Liz" and "Julia" in Depp Shadows are completely independent characters who just happen to have the same name as characters in the 1960s series "Dark Shadows."

The personalities, traits, aesthetics, etc. are so different from the 1960s versions that I don't even attempt to compare.  The Helena Julia is more like a takeoff on the fabulous Bea Arthur's performance as "Maude" than it is somehow in any way a nod at what Grayson did in the series.  I see zero relationship between Joan's characterization of Elizabeth and the character portrayed by Pfeiffer (who was the best thing in the movie, from this viewer's perspective).

I think this way as well about the characters as portrayed in "house of DS" although since it was the same actresses there was an element of "Parallel Time" about that redaction.

cheers, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:58 PM »
For me personally, I have much more of a problem with hoDS than I do with the Depp/DS film, and that's because with the Depp/DS film we were told almost at the outset that there would be many changes made to the characters and the situations. And just as was the case with the '91 DS, I have no problems keeping an open mind and being accepting of any blending, swapping, changing of personality traits of the various DS characters so long as the essence of the characters remain. And for me the essence of all the characters is there in the Depp/DS film even if there may be things about them that aren't the same as their counterparts on the original show.

On the other hand, the publicity for hoDS clearly went out of its way to purport that it was going to be a theatrical version of the daytime show with all the characters we'd come to love on the show. But that was most definitely not the case. What we got was a Hammerized blood and gore fest version of the daytime show which may have had the same actors mostly playing characters with the same names as their daytime counterparts - but it wasn't a theatrical version of the daytime show with all the characters we'd come to love on the show - especially when it came to Barnabas. It was a very different animal altogether from the daytime show.

Even with its comic touches and what have you, for me personally the Depp/DS film is far closer to the spirit of the original series than hoDS ever could be.

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1520 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
Dark Shadows has been nominated for Best Horror Film from the Jameson Empire Awards (from the UK magazine Empire).  It's up against: Sightseers, Sinister (I haven't heard of these first two), The Cabin In The Woods, and The Woman In Black.  This is one that fans can vote for, and the Awards will be announced on March 24.  Good luck, DS!

The 2013 Awards Shortlist: Vote Now

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 05, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
I'm not surprised that the film is nominated because Empire Magazine is another place that gave the film a good review.  [snow_wink]

Thanks so much for the alert and the link, madscntst.  [snow_smiley]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

David

« Reply #1522 on: March 05, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
I hope I don't get banned from the board for this:
I'm in the pro-Depp Shadows camp, but I'm not sure I can say it's a better film than the genuinely scary Woman in Black!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
Yes, David, you're banned - pack your things and get out!   [snow_mad]

But seriously, I've said this before but I really liked The Woman in Black too.  [snow_smiley]  Interestingly enough, though, is that a lot of the places that liked the Depp/DS film liked it better than TWiB (Entertainment Weekly being one of them) - and a lot of the same places that savaged the Depp/DS film also savaged TWiB (maybe they're just not horror fans).

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
I'm glad DS was nominated, but I doubt it will win. I think the inconsistent tone might work against it. It's a horror film, sort of. It's also a comedy, sort of.  It's a romance....  I wonder if it will be enough of a horror film to actually take home the prize.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
I don't know what sort of a chance it has to win. I think it's hard to predict because the film was so much more popular in Europe than it was in the US and Empire is a European magazine. But regardless of how things pan out, even though it's a cliche to say it, it's still an honor that the film was simply nominated.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
I finally got the chance to post another 7 new screen caps and set ups to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. Please be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.  [snow_wink]

I wonder if this boat is the same one that was written about as having been a landmark but was purchased for the film?

I haven't had the chance to hunt down the link to that article.

I've been trying to locate the link but haven't come across it so far. But I will keep trying...

David

« Reply #1527 on: March 16, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »
No sign of Depp Shadows on HBO's schedule--it should be showing up soon!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »
Isn't that shot of that wrecked boat meant to be what is left of the boat the Collins sailed in on?

Forgive me if I am belaboring the obvious.

I seem to recall a derelict 1950s boat having been bought for the movie during the pre-production period.

G.

David

« Reply #1529 on: March 18, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »
Depp Shadows comes to Cinemax on April 6--many airings are scheduled.