Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350445 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1560 on: May 17, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
I'm watching the original series, and just finished episode 346 (Vicki's dream of being in Josette's room with Barnabas and Julia; Julia bringing flowers to Vicki and them wilting after Barnabas touches them). There isn't really anything plot wise that made me think of the Burton movie, but the overall tone--and in particular some of the actors' mannerisms--really struck me as being key to the essence of the movie. Just the whole weirdness of it all, and the melodrama mixed with humor. THIS must have been what Burton was after, and I think he did very well in that regard.

One other thing came to me: A major criticism of the movie is that Vicki drops out of it for an extended period of time. Well, part of what Burton said he wanted was to emulate the episodic, soap opera aspect of the show. And on the original show, characters would frequently disappear for several days, often even for weeks at a time. For instance, Carolyn just showed up today after being gone a long time.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 17, 2013, 04:45:05 AM »
Re: Episodic Drop-Outs

Well, that was not something that needed to be repeated in the film.  It was a necessity for the TV show, but certainly not for the film.  "Victoria" was a great character who deserved a lot more screentime.  I doubt it was stylistic.  Most of her scenes probably ended up being cut, because they wanted to focus more on the "first... last... everything" angle. 

In HoDS, Maggie was featured prominently.  I don't think anyone felt she was missing.  Dan Curtis made the on-screen relationship make sense, though it could have been a little more fleshed out.  But in Depp Shadows, the character just sort of disappears for the whole time the relationship should have been building.  For the first time, it actually worked out for Barnabas, which I love, but the viewers didn't get to see any of the build-up.  More of the Josette-Maggie relationship/take over would have been welcome.   

David

« Reply #1562 on: May 17, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
There are a lot of positive reviews posted for the film at Amazon, with 5 & 4 star reviews far outweighing one star reviews.
It seems the only people who really hated the film are those who went in expecting a carbon copy of the original.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 20, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
it isn't the only place in the trailer where words are dubbed that don't appear in the film and that weren't said in the footage that's accompanies the dub. But more on that once the 2012 DS Film Slideshow reaches the scene with the next example.

The current scene depicted in the slideshow -

- contains the moment where the trailers once again deviate from the actual film. But before I point out what's different, I'll give someone the chance to point it out for us.  [easter_wink]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »
Doesn't she say, "Hello Barnabas, remember me?" or something like that?  And to be fair, I don't know if Eva Green ever said "remember me" at all during the entire film (but I also was convinced for awhile that Gully McGrath said "I don't like him" in the trailer, vs. the "I like him" he utters in the film). 
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #1565 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
I saw last night Dark Shadows starts June 8th on HBO. Bout time....

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 21, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »
Doesn't she say, "Hello Barnabas, remember me?" or something like that?  And to be fair, I don't know if Eva Green ever said "remember me" at all during the entire film

Yup, that's it. And I knew that if anyone would pick up on that, it would be you.  [easter_cheesy]  And just as with the Barnabas "My love" line from earlier in the trailers, Angie's lips don't even match her asking "Remember me?" Plus, you're also right that she doesn't even say "remember me" at all during the entire film, so once again it's a dub specifically to make things in the trailers clearer for the audience.

The other day I happened across one of the latter set of TV ads, and I believe there was something in it that also isn't in the film. But more on that when I find the time to research it better...

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »
Sort of OT but not really because we went through the same sort of foolishness with the Depp/DS film:

You've got to love the Hollywood prognosticators, many of whom are now declaring that The Hangover III is DOA because in its first two days it hasn't made as much as either of the first two films did (though it's merely less than about $5 million behind the first). Only in these wacko's deluded minds could a film that has so far brought in an estimated $26.3 million in two days be DOA!  ::)  But then, as I said, we know only too well the type of things many of them said about the Depp/DS film. It's amazing how they live in their own little worlds where if a film doesn't meet the expectations that they made up for it themselves, then it's DOA.  [sad3]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 25, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
there were several such dubs in the trailers...

I recall one where liz tells barnabas to "fight on...fight on FOR US". in the film she indeed tells him to fight on but the dramatic "for us" part is never uttered.

and wasn't it already noted that several lines spoken during the initial barnabas/josette flashback sequence in the trailer were never in the film either? come to think of it did josette even speak during that part of the film at all?

and the scene at the breakfast table where barnabas states "my beloved Collinwood...the Collins family!" in the trailer is a verbal pastiche of other lines from the film.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 25, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
another line from the trailer where angie tells barnabas "i'll destroy you...AND YOUR FAMILY" never shows up either.

she just threatened him.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
Showing scenes in trailers that weren't in the movie (because they ended up on the cutting room floor) is nothing new.  There were scenes from NoDS, especially during the seance scene, that were in trailers but didn't appear in the film.  Nothing changes in Hollywood.  It's all tease and bait-and-switch.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 26, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »
did josette even speak during that part of the film at all?

Yes. From January 13th's installment of the film's slideshow:

1776 - Josette (to Barnabas): 'Promise me we'll be
together forever.'
[spoiler]Which sets up the end of the film[/spoiler]

and the scene at the breakfast table where barnabas states "my beloved Collinwood...the Collins family!" in the trailer is a verbal pastiche of other lines from the film.

That's true - and it's not the only example of such a pastiche because there's also the one that accompanies Angie's "Hello, Barnabas. Remember me?" - namely his answer, which is "Witch, you cursed me to be this hideous creature." The "Witch" and the "you cursed me to be this hideous creature" come from dialogue from two totally different scenes. All of which brings up an intriguing possibility: rather than being dubs - meaning Depp, Green, and Pfeiffer went to a studio to record bits for the trailers, what if all the bits of dialogue in the trailers were assembled from scenes that were indeed shot? It's just that what doesn't appear in the film ("My love." "Remember me?" Etc.) is actually taken from bits of dialogue from deleted scenes, so that's why we're unfamiliar with it.

It's a fascinating thought, anyway...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 26, 2013, 02:11:59 AM »
That's quite possible, MB.  And it would be fun to be able to see everything that was filmed.

I also remember the news that Bella had to go in and dub some dialogue after filming was completed.  Perhaps that was for promotional purposes? 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 26, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
I believe it's very common for a significant amount of dialogue to be rerecorded ("looped") after photography is finished. There can be lots of reasons that the original sound from on set isn't clean enough to use in the final soundtrack.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 26, 2013, 04:33:49 AM »
Oh, I know that, KMR.  But it's fun to speculate - especially if some of the lines in the trailer were written especially for promotional purposes.