Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350353 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1545 on: April 02, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
Something written in the latest SG Update reminded me that I forgot to mention yesterday that I was surprised that no one has corrected the dates in the film's description on IMDb. It still indicates that the events of the prologue take place in 1752 and 1772 even though in the film they take place in 1760, 1761, and 1776. And it's certainly not like changes haven't been made to the film's pages since the film was released because many things have been updated/corrected.  [easter_undecided]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

David

« Reply #1546 on: April 07, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »
Love it or hate it, Depp Shadows begins airing on Cinemax tonight: many showings are scheduled.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
Just saw the flick.   All I can say is that I did not like it so much.    [easter_angry]

[spoiler]Between Carolyn being a werewolf, Victoria/Maggie, and Dr. Hoffman's last moment in the film, I was completely turned off.  Not to mention that Dark Shadows was never a story to rely on CG and action.  The comedy was misplaced, I only chortled once and I can't even remember what it was that I did that at -- a comment made by "Angie" (ANGIE, REALLY? ugh) [easter_angry].  One compliment goes to Depp for actually focusing on the Barnabas character; he seemed to have gotten it (when he wasn't making asinine comments for cheap thrills). [easter_smiley] Pfeiffer was miscast and did the best she could. [easter_undecided]  Eva Green overdid Angelique -- Angeliques scariness was her subtleness in her actions -- Green was doing the BIG BAD WITCH routine, which was not even an attempt at creepiness, just bitchieness.  The sex scene and puking scenes -- totally uncalled for.  Didn't Barnabas and Angelique always have a sexual tension after Martinique?  [easter_huh]  Bonham Carter almost had Hoffman down, but failed.  [easter_rolleyes] Burton seemed to have wanted a cartoon effect and he did actually get that down.[/spoiler]

So, I can honeslty now criticize the move with authority now.   It basically sucked.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 11, 2013, 01:34:42 AM »
Cinemax promo for the movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMjYeqXerA

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:28 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing the link, jimbo.  [easter_smiley]

It's also nice to see that DS is heavily featured in Cinemax 2013 Spring Preview Trailer, where it also has the distinction of being only one of two films to include a clip with dialogue.  [easter_wink]  (And it's also nice to see clips of Banshee - though including them only makes me miss the series more than I already do, seeing as it won't be back until 2014.  [easter_sad])

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »
Excellent MB. I think WB could learn from Cinemax on how to construct a proper trailer. I haven't seen Banshee yet. Looks good.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 11, 2013, 03:09:06 AM »
Great trailer, jimbo. Thanks for sharing it.
Fade Away and Radiate

David

« Reply #1552 on: April 14, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Last night I posted on Facebook that Depp Shadows was about to air on Cinemax.
"Is anyone else watching?" I asked.
I got 71 opinions about the film--it does get people talking!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 14, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
does no one learn...

so now we're back to a "trailer" featuring the camp/comedic aspects of the film??? teen werewolves and flying green puke?

isn't that what turned so many people off in the first place? that definitely wouldn't make me want to see the film. [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:31 AM »
I agree Michael.

fyi Word and Film listed the movie 5th of Tim Burton's best movies.

http://www.wordandfilm.com/2013/04/through-the-big-eyes-of-burton-5-of-tim-burton%E2%80%99s-best/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 16, 2013, 03:57:09 AM »
It's excellent to see the film considered to be among Burton's 5 best! Thanks so much for the link, jimbo.  [easter_smiley]

David

« Reply #1556 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »
After all these months, Box Office Mojo just added $6 million to the overseas box office. The site now says the film's worldwide gross is $245.5 million.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1557 on: April 29, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
Great (if belated) news, thanks David-Elijah!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »
It's very nice to see that BOM has actually updated the foreign numbers again, and thanks so much for alerting us, David.  [easter_smiley]  However, I still think the foreign figures are underreported because back at the end of July when I tallied and posted a list of the foreign figures that were known to us at the time:

So, given that last we officially heard the foreign gross was $156,800,000, at the very least the foreign gross has to be $161,358,837, especially when the foreign numbers through July 29th have yet to be reported. And as of this past weekend DS' worldwide gross must have been at the very least $240,709,366. Though even beyond the foreign numbers through July 29th, it has to be more because of all the countries that haven't been reported on BOM.

Plus all that was even before DS opened in Venezuela. And let's also not forget that DS was still playing in some US theaters long after WB stopped updating its domestic box office.  [easter_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 13, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
it's interesting how Angelique's fate in the climax is actually hinted at in the scene where her forehead cracks slightly after she witnesses Barnabas and Vicki kissing at The Happening

And as I was preparing the quotes/captures for the slideshow this month, I noticed that it's also interesting that from the very outset of seeing Angelique in 1972 we're shown that it's as if her retained youth and beauty are simply a mask she's presenting to the world, which is indeed exactly what she is doing -

- though without knowing the ending, we certainly wouldn't really pick up on that so soon in the film.