Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349450 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
I was even more surprised than last week to notice that DS is still playing in 3 out of the 5 theaters it was playing in my vicinity last week - and the 1 that was showing it 4 times a day is still showing it 4 times a day. (The other 2 are still showing it 2 times, though one has changed it to the middle two shows and the other to the last two shows.)

35 days 11 hours 36 minutes 6 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
DS took a much bigger hit in my area this week  [ghost_sad]  The one theater that still played it 4 times daily this past week will now only have one late showing (~10:30 p.m.), and it's gone from most others.  It's still playing in one IMAX in downtown DC through the 21st, and two places a bit further from me.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Equally surprised that the film is still playing at the theatre I went to last Tuesday, also at four screenings a day. So I guess I will be paying them a visit this week.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
I've found 7 theaters in the Chicago metro area (one in Chicago itself) that are still showing DS. In Fandango, if I search by my Zip code it only brings up the one theater in Chicago.  Searching by Chicago brings up 5.  Searching by the other specific cities brings up various combinations of two or three.  One of them only comes up if you search for St. Charles, even though it then returns a list that includes Elgin, but if you search Elgin, you don't get the theater in St. Charles.  (What kind of geographical radius does Fandango default to?  And why isn't it consistent???  Or maybe Elgin doesn't like St. Charles...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
As some members have already noticed, I've just finished posting another batch of screen captures on the film's Caption This! board.

Happy captioning!  [ghost_wink]

35 days 15 hours 23 minutes 25 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #650 on: June 15, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
I wonder what our chances are of another film, or a new TV series on the CW or HBO?

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #651 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
DS held onto 11th place yesterday, making $178,359 for a domestic total of $74,532,628.  I'm guessing the numbers are going to drop a lot next week due to the loss in theaters, but hopefully it can make an even $75 within the next week  [ghost_smiley]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 15, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
but hopefully it can make an even $75 within the next week  [ghost_smiley]

I think you mean $75 million within the next week. (Let's hope it makes much more than $75 during the week!!)   [ghost_wink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
but hopefully it can make an even $75 within the next week  [ghost_smiley]

I think you mean $75 million within the next week. (Let's hope it makes much more than $75 during the week!!)   [ghost_wink]

Sorry, was lazy and attempting shorthand  [ghost_wink]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2012, 02:02:07 AM »
If I can believe the official website, there are no more theaters in Houston showing DS. I went one last time yesterday (my 9th). I doubt I'll be able to catch it in any second run theaters. I'm going Newport RI on the 25th. South Texas has a ton of second run theaters, but I don't know of any near Newport, and I'll be relying on public transportation. It's also not playing anywhere in RI (or at least no where in the Newport or Providence area). It's still showing in 2 theaters in Boston.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2012, 02:14:37 AM »
OK, I read some previous posts and discovered Fandango. DS is playing in some of the areas I mentioned. It's not in the Newport County area, but if you are willing to drive a bit, you can see it in the Providence area. Dallas has quite a few theaters showing it and so does Houston.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2012, 02:46:24 AM »
DS is still playing in New Bedford - but from Newport that's probably further away than Providence.  [ghost_smiley]  If only you'd come to Newport this past week because DS was playing in Middletown.

And as for the gross reaching $75 million, it's not hard to imagine that DS could bring in between $400-$500 thousand this weekend, so I could see it reaching that mark by Sunday or Monday.

And thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst. Here's a link to Thursday's chart:

Thursday's Box Office

It's really nice to see that DS was pretty consistent on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.  [ghost_cool]

35 days 21 hours 46 minutes 24 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
i'm noticing that in the original EW cast photograph...which images make up the perimeter of this board...depp looks much less heavily made up, and his hair less spiky, than he does in the movie itself.

he almost looks "normal".

i wonder why they decided to tone him down for this image?

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »
 [ghost_huh]

DS does not appear in the Friday estimate listings at Box Office Mojo.
Still in four Bay Area theaters.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
Given that the cast photo was taken before shooting actually began, it may have been the case that they decided to make Barnabas' look more pronounced for the film rather than toning it down for the photo. Who knows? Though there's certainly no denying that his face and eye makeup definitely looks more human in the cast photo:

Though the bangs are still pretty much the same - they were just pushed more toward the right of his face. And when one thinks about it, it's actually quite amazing that the position of his bangs stayed perfectly the same throughout the entire 1972 portion of the film. He must have discovered some great early-'70s hair product!  [ghost_grin]

And changing reels somewhat, I'm actually quite glad that you brought up Barnabas' look because while I was going through stills to locate a good one to use for comparison I came across this scene with David and Barnabas from one of their scenes that isn't even in the film:

And presumably that took place in David's bedroom, which I don't recall ever even seeing in the film...

And changing reels entirely, I see that in the Quick To Judge Films Sweepstakes we have two new films that have already been judged to be duds: Rock of Ages and That's My Boy. The first was forecast to bring in $28.6 million this weekend, but based on Friday's numbers they're now saying it will only bring in $15.3 - and the second was forecast to bring in $24.5 million, but now they're saying only $13.1 million. And of course, how they can be so certain of those numbers at this early stage I don't know, but it will be very interesting to see how things really do play out for those two films this weekend. But if the estimates really do prove true, it just goes to show how much better DS did in reality vs. forecasts on its opening weekend because it was forecast to bring in between $35-$30 million and at least it ended up bringing in $29.7 million.  [ghost_wink]

36 days 12 hours 22 minutes 31 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!