Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350940 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1320 on: October 05, 2012, 02:47:19 AM »
incidentally i work with someone who just traveled to paris and this was the in-flight movie...

this person was a fan as a child and had fond if hazy memories of it but said she enjoyed the movie alot. she also had much praise for the cast.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »
This is quite possibly proof that there is no God!  [hall2_wink]

At least one that likes DS...  Which is even worse.   [hall_angry]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
Yup, DS is STILL playing in Hooksett, NH! And it's still playing with the theater's full set of showings during the week, so it still has to be doing well.  [hall2_cool]

And what's interesting is that The Cold Light of Day, which just opened last week has already closed and has been replaced by The Dark Knight Rises (which means WB once again has three of its films playing: DS, Magic Mike, and TDKR). But what's fascinating about TDKR is that it isn't playing with the theater's full set of showings - DS has 3 showings today, TDKR has 2 - and DS has 4 showings both tomorrow and Sunday (yes, the theater is back to 4 showings on Sundays), TDKR has 3. But both have 3 showings Monday-Thursday (yes, the theater is back to 3 showings during the week). Who'da thunk we'd ever see the day when DS would have more showings than TDKR?!  [hall2_shocked]  [thumbleft]

147 days 11 hours 30 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 05, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Another batch of new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And as always, if you haven't already seen the film, be careful of opening the topics because they may contain spoilers.  [hall2_wink]

Also, if you're like me and you wondered where the fisherman (whose photo was taken down from IMDb because it was posted prematurely) -

- showed up in the film, or even if he did, apparently he was in at least this scene because I spotted him when I picked out this screen cap from The Legend of the Vampire pre-release featurette:

(Click here for a 1920X1080 version)

147 days 12 hours 59 minutes 30 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

David

« Reply #1324 on: October 05, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
maybe we should hold a DS festival in Hookset?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 05, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
This guy would have made a great Sam Evans.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 05, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »
This guy would have made a great Sam Evans.

You're right! Actually he does look like he could be the love child of Mark Allen and David Ford!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #1327 on: October 06, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips about the Focus Points and the Maximum Movie Mode! I saw both of those on there but I haven't actually watched anything contained in those yet. I'll have to set about doing that tonight. I regularly buy Blurays now and I still haven't gotten used to having to "find" certain extras through several menus. It's definitely more of an adventure than having a DVD where they are usually listed neatly for you!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 06, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »
Just watched the film and I loved it! Too teensee weensee shot of the original cast, but I noticed Lara Parker gets in as much a ham shot as she can.

Love how Angelique is a corporate... a corporate... a bitch. Perfect casting. Michelle Pfeiffer is amazing. Overall all a fun flick.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

David

« Reply #1329 on: October 06, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
Indeed a fun flick. It's it's own animal.
It wasn't meant to be the original, and I suspect we will see more of DS in the future.
There's room for satire, for homage, and for serious takes on the franchise.
All are valid.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
i quickly skimmed the closing credits and didn't see art wallace listed...

i suppose i could have missed it. or does he not have to receive a credit any longer?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 06, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
i quickly skimmed the closing credits and didn't see art wallace listed...

i suppose i could have missed it. or does he not have to receive a credit any longer?

Thanks for doing that, Michael.  I too am very interested in learning the answer to this, especially since this film used many of his original characterizations - a slimy Roger, a strong Liz, a troubled David, a rebellious Carolyn, and a corporate type hellbent on the destruction of the Collins family. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 06, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
It's always been my understanding that the '70s court ruling stipulated that Art Wallace had to get credit when any of the characters that he created where used in any version of DS - though he wouldn't share in the profits of any such version because he settled for a one time payment. That's why he gets credit in the '91 DS. However, obviously Variety never published the actual ruling because, well, that would have probably gone on for pages and pages because we all know what court documents look like.  [hall2_wink]  So, perhaps something that Variety didn't go into was that maybe there was a clause in the ruling that might have said something like after both Wallace and Curtis were deceased, Wallace would no longer get credit (odder clauses have been written). Or maybe it's that the film ignored the ruling. Though if that's the case, we may be hearing one day about how the Wallace estate has filed suit against the film and who knows how many parties connected with it.  [idontknow] Though because the previous ruling wouldn't entitle them to a share of the profits, and any legal action would simply be for a credit, the estate could easily think that it wouldn't even be worth pursuing any sort of action. But if it is a case that the film ignored Wallace's credit simply because they didn't think he deserved it, that would really be quite sad.  [sad3]

Changing reels, my Blu-ray arrived today but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet because I have several things I really want to get done today, and I know that if I take it out of the box, I will never get to them because I'll be playing with the Blu-ray all day. So, I don't dare take it out until tonight when I'll finally sit down to relax.  [hall2_wink]

148 days 13 hours 9 minutes 15 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 06, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »
I finally got to see it On Demand last night, twice, and am watching it now. I love it. It works so well and on so may levels and it was so well done (and respectfully I might add). I am glad I didn't see it in the theater. I had only three or four very slight disappointments. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1334 on: October 06, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »
entertainment tonight suggested DARK SHADOWS on dvd as a hot pick for this weekend!