Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350608 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1260 on: September 23, 2012, 07:04:54 AM »
Despite the October 2 date, apparently the movie is already on FiOS Video On Demand.  I saw them advertising it today, so decided to check, and sure enough it's there ($16.99 for SD and $21.99 for HD!!!!!).
Josette

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 23, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
I find it very disappointing that this one of those discs which netflix offers (both dvd and bluray) with no special features included.  It doesn't motivate me to buy the retail version so much as to just not bother with netflix.  Which is why (aside from living on a remote island with no movie theatre nearby) I saw the film for the first time ever last night.

Anyway, my first impression of the film was very favorable--I was taken aback by the visuals, and seeing...someone arrive on the train was awesome.  It was also problematic--I understand that she would have a need to change her name, but on such a shallow and last-minute pretext, with no emotion whatsoever?  I liked the pumpkin patch in front of the house, but I didn't like that over manicured lawn that apparently takes the place of the Collins forest that so much of the OS took place in.  I wish there was more of 1770, particularly a scene with Angelique and Josette together, and the hint that there were other Collins's alive back then.   I found the beginning of the film rather funny too, but it just didn't really go anywhere.  The characters were not developed enough--Viki/Maggie was hardly even in the film at all, I don't know when she fell in love with Barnabas, but it was off-camera.  The supposedly big dramatic scenes all felt a little stilted, awkward, like the actors didn't really know what their motivations were or perhaps were advised to keep things on a 'light' note no matter what?  I also didn't like Barnabas very much--his ability to control himself in other situations tells me that he didn't really have to kill that entire group of young hippies and Julia.  I didn't find either instance funny. 

I think if Elizabeth had been standing in the background while Barnabas caught Roger trying to enter the vault, it could have provided an opportunity for a verbal showdown between the siblings like the many compelling ones we saw between Bennet and Edmonds, and could have told us more about who these characters are, their histories, their relationship with each other.  Having Barnabas manhandle Roger and almost take over running the family in the process doesn't really do anything for me.  The actual storytelling is so clumsy, filled with little by-the-way hints (like instead of talking about who Liz's husband was, they have Carolyn open for Alice Coppers song referring to her father with Elizabeth looking stern in response) while so much time is dedicated to horror movie clichés that it's really a waste.  They could have done so much more in two hours.  Would people in the age range of the OS series actors really come to this party/Alice Cooper concert and enjoy themselves back in the 70's?   

Years ago I remember reading an interview in which Burton stated that when he was trying to shop Beetlejuice (his second ever film) to producers they made him change the script, insisting that "there needed to be some action, some romance in the third act..."  He took their advice and has used this as a formula to end almost all of his films since then, with a big chase scene, often a kidnapping and huge dramatic battle with a kiss at the end.  He used it again here; the ending was just terrible.  It almost reminded me of the X-men more then Dark Shadows, a very comic book display of "superpowers" in which I also recognized derivative elements from many other horror films.  Just an excuse for a bunch of CGI.   

So, Angelique killed Laura; why?  What was their relationship?  What kind of person was Laura?  If the film was written differently, these big reveals might have actually meant something, I might care.   I'm not really sure if Josette's ghost actually inhabited her body in the end, or if this was just another one of Maggie's spur-of-the-moment name changes.  I guess the potential sequel will involve Julia rising and forming a rival clan of vampires to fight Barnabas, and Elizabeth will turn against him once she finds out he betrayed her by killing Julia.   I'm sure the rebuilding of the house, recovery of Barnabas treasure and the Collins company will all be given a very easy explanation if there is a next film, which makes it all difficult to actually care about.  Instead of story, it's mostly just trivia, and therefore trivial.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
I assumed that Barnabas ate the hippies because, as he did with the workmen, he was hungry, not necessarily to shut them up.  I actually really liked the fact that he *really* killed people; it shows him as a more complicated, troubled character, like OS Barn.  I've been watching 1897 recently, and -- though I realize that killing [spoiler]Carl was probably more of a step to allow John Karlen time off from the series -- Barn's murder of Carl is still truly disturbing.[/spoiler]

But I *like* disturbing.   [ghost_shocked]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1263 on: September 24, 2012, 01:24:17 AM »
deepdiscountdvd.com is advertising H.O.D.S and N.O.D.S. for sale at $9.16 each. no shipping charges for orders of $15.00 or more so you can get both movies for under $20. DEPP SHADOWS is on sale for $21.80. im strongly considering ordering at least house and night from here and probably depp shadows too unless someone knows of a better deal.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »
@Nicky, I agree.  I think Barn's killing of [spoiler]Carl[/spoiler] was one of the most unforgivable things he did.  It was all the more disturbing because they had spent over a year establishing Barn as a heroic figure at that point, even though he did some pretty awful things during that horrible Adam period.

It was a reminder that the psychotic killer who tortured Maggie Evans for months was still there, lurking beneath the surface.  As Julia would have put it--"I KNOW what you ARE."  (Always loved Grayson's reading of that line.)

G.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:42 AM »
Killing [spoiler]Carl was one of the most despicable, pointless, and stupid acts that OS Barnabas committed.  However, unlike when DP Barnabas killed a dozen young people who had just been really kind to him, it wasn't played up for laughs, and there were real consequences to killing Carl.[/spoiler] There are only cartoonish and unrealistic threats of consequences in this film.  We also had a long history of OS Barnabas displaying somewhat better behavior, we don't really have that here, it's just cruelty with zero magnetism and poetry. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17:02 AM »
The DVD for Depp/Burton DS, which is $21.80 at deepdiscount.com, is $14.96 at Amazon - and the Blu-ray, which is $29.99 at deepdiscount, is $24.96 at Amazon. And while the DVDs of hoDS and NoDS are cheaper at $9.16 at deepdiscount, rather than $10.99 at Amazon, the Blu-rays are $14.25, whereas they're $13.99 at Amazon.

So, if one buys the DVDs of all three at the same Web site to save shipping, the cheaper would be to go with Amazon because there they would total $36.94, as opposed to $40.12 at deepdiscount. And if one goes with the Blu-rays, Amazon is still a better deal because there they total $52.94, whereas the total is $58.49 at deepdiscount.

The only way things could be a bit cheaper by throwing some business to deepdiscount would be if one orders the DVDs of hoDS and NoDS there for $18.32, with no shipping because it would be over $15, and then one orders the DVD of Depp/Burton DS at Amazon for $17.94 (due to the $2.98 shipping), and that would total $36.26. The Blu-rays are always a better deal by going with Amazon.

Though prices could still drop between now and October 2nd, so it's always a good idea to keep checking in at other sites from time to time before any orders ship from wherever they've been placed.  [ghost_wink]

135 days 21 hours 17 minutes 2 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

8 days 2 hours 42 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1267 on: September 24, 2012, 02:21:21 AM »
thanks for the info

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 24, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »
personally i never understood all the angst around barnabas killing [spoiler]carl...

carl was one of the "time travel characters".[/spoiler] eventually most of them get killed off anyways. that's sort of why they're created.

to me it's not as unforgivable as if he had killed one of the "real time" characters like liz or roger or maggie. he had no history or loyalty to the character and, well, he was a vampire after all. i think it was meant to demonstrate the character still had an element of dangerousness and unpredictability. and he didn't just kill hookers on the docks.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 24, 2012, 05:54:53 AM »
Barnabas could have very easily just hypnotized or bitten him to make [spoiler]Carl forget, or recant what he was telling everyone.  He did it before, it was unneccessary to Kill Carl, and he didn't even bother taking any of the blood so it had little to do with vampirism.  It was just a stupid, clumsy, and ultimately self-destructive act.[/spoiler] Anyway, I still think this is all totally different from killing those kids in the woods....

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 24, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
ES.TV finally began its new season today with all new interviews with cast members from current films (including Jessica Chastain for Lawless). Now it's going to be interesting to see if any of the DS film's cast shows up in the show's DVD Spotlight.

And speaking of the DVD, Entertainment Weekly jumped the gun a bit and listed it in their Coming Soon section:

It's nice to see something positive for a change.  [ghost_wink]  But then their critic Owen Gleiberman really liked the film.

136 days 11 hours 30 minutes 10 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

7 days 12 hours 29 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 24, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
It's nice to see something positive

And something else positive: the European Web site WHATCULTURE! consider DS one of the "great films" of the summer. But then in general the rest of the world has responded much more positively to the film than some in the US have.

136 days 15 hours 6 minutes 0 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

7 days 8 hours 54 minutes 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 25, 2012, 12:28:30 AM »
It's interesting that several different Web sites that I've visited today have featured ads to purchase the film's DVD from Amazon. At first I thought that it was perhaps because of some cookie on my computer that contains the info that I've visited Amazon's page for the film's DVD. But then I cleared cookies and it still kept coming up. And then I also noticed that some of the ads are also for Marvel's The Avengers and Snow White and the Huntsman (they're dimmed unless/until you place your mouse cursor over them) and I've never visited the pages for those DVDs on Amazon.

136 days 19 hours 28 minutes 30 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

7 days 4 hours 31 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
A (favorable) review of the Blu-ray of the film from the hometheaterequipment.com Web site that's mostly for the audio/videophiles among us. But it recommends the film as well:

Dark Shadows (Blu-ray) review

138 days 18 hours 42 minutes 29 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

5 days 5 hours 17 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:22 AM »
I've almost finished scanning through the pre-release featurettes with the intention of beginning to make more posts on the film's Games boards. But before I get to that I wanted to make sure that we're all on the same pages so far as how many featuettes have been released. So far as I'm aware there have been seven:

The Legend Of The Vampire
Barnabas Unleashed
Behind The Scenes
The Collins Family: Strange Is Relative
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp: A Collaboration Through The Years
Tim Burton: From Sketch To Screen
Constructing Collinwood: An Estate By The Sea

Is anyone aware of any others? And if there are any there that anyone wasn't aware of, a search of YouTube with"Dark Shadows" followed by any one of those titles should bring each one up. Though be aware that the uploads vary in quality, so be sure to find the 1080 versions because they all have them.  [ghost_wink]

139 days 23 hours 26 minutes 22 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

4 days 0 hours 33 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!