Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349138 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #675 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
Quite interesting that while the number of screens dropped from 1500 to 680 for this past weekend, the average gross per screen didn't drop at all! Granted, the total gross was down from last weekend, but that's to be expected when more than half the screens were dropped. But this is the first time the average per screen didn't go down. I really wouldn't have expected that.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2012, 06:45:19 AM »
Well, it's gone from Missoula, MT, which bums me out a bit (even though I saw it four times!).  I was going to go again tomorrow; guess I'll just have to wait 'til the DVD ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 19, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »
I was in NYC over the weekend and passed the usual bootleg guys selling DVDs of the Avengers, Rock of Ages and Madagascar 3. Dark Shadows was not among the titles I saw on display.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
Trailers en Espaņol are out there. More than one version, if I understand correctly. I don't know if these were edited specifically for the Spanish language market, or if they're simply dubbed versions of existing trailers. The voice-overs are interesting, and I think the "foley" might be over-dubbed as well. YouTube has some, but they don't offer a linkable link if you're using a lowly iPhone. But, VIMEO does. Behold:

SOMBRAS TENEBROSAS!

http://vimeo.com/40770097
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 19, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
and I think the "foley" might be over-dubbed as well.

Nope. I was eager to use that word I just learnt, and headphones reveal a bit more than the iPhone speaker. Sounds pretty kosher to me.

If I can find a way to stop wasting time, I'll see if I can't interpret any peculiar wordage.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 19, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing the link, retzev.  [ghost_smiley]

That particular Spanish trailer looks to be the same as the European version - it includes both the shot of Barnabas between Angelique's legs and the shot of her dragging her nails across his back (both of which were apparently just too shocking for US audiences to handle in a trailer but obviously perfectly fine seemingly everywhere else in the world  [ghost_rolleyes]).

That trailer also includes the second bit that doesn't appear in the film but no one else as yet would seem to have realized it isn't actually in the film.  [ghost_wink]

39 days 11 hours 20 minutes 50 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #681 on: June 19, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
no bootleg dvds of ds? the powers to be are probably patrolling and reporting any of the bootleggers. nothing gets by you know who.

David

« Reply #682 on: June 19, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
Fangoria Mag told me to interview Gabriel Frielich, the blonde hippie from Depp Shadows.
The young man just responded and said yes.
Should be interesting to get his perspective of being on that set.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 19, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Definitely, David. I'll certainly be looking forward to the interview.  [ghost_smiley]

39 days 13 hours 31 minutes 20 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
Monday's numbers for DS are in at boxoffice.com, and it brought in $79,483, which now brings its current domestic gross to $75,235,499. And once again, what DS brought in on Monday is pretty normal. In fact, it's one of the highest amounts brought in this year by a film in its 39th day and playing in about the same amount of theaters that DS currently is. And, yes, once again I've prepared a list - now one that will compare DS to this year's other films in their 39nd day of release. However, like past weeks, I can't attach it just now because Monday's figures aren't in for all the films I want to include on the list - but it will definitely be attached when I post the link to Box Office Mojo's chart after it becomes available.

39 days 15 hours 17 minutes 28 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
It looks like on Monday that DS may have retained its 14th place overall weekend placement - however, at this point in a lot of films' runs Box Office Mojo no longer assigns them a number on the list - and that is the case with DS. But looking at the weekend's number, at least one of the two films that placed ahead of DS on Sunday (Bernie) came in on Monday with numbers lower than DS - but the other film (For Greater Glory) wasn't tracked on Monday, so it may or may not have brought in more. But at any rate, we can be certain that DS isn't any lower than 15th.

Monday's Box Office

I also noticed that DS finally opened in Turkey this past weekend. It was the highest debuting film and came in 3rd for the weekend behind Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted and only $2,617 behind Prometheus.

(And again, if you haven't checked out one of the lists already, refer to the explanation in reply #537 on page 36 of this topic because the premise is basically the same with the 39th day's list attached here.
And it's worth noting that this is the first week in a few weeks that nothing that was released is likely to overtake DS on the 2012 Yearly Grosses chart.  [ghost_happy])

39 days 16 hours 4 minutes 28 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 20, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »
This might ramble a bit.

I'm thinking about that Spanish trailer, and wondering if "big" films like DS12 are typically released in foreign language markets on DVD with foreign language dubs, or are they usually released with foreign language subtitles alone.

From what I've gathered, subtitles are a tricky business, and they can take a couple of different forms.

Let's say you're watching an Italian horror film from the 1960s on DVD. The original Italian language track is included, as well as an English language dub. You might opt to watch it in the original Italian language with the English subtitles on, in order to best experience "the directors's vision".

Hopefully, the subtitles are "good" subtitles. Assuming they're  clearly visible, are they well written? Are they a faithful rendering of the original language dialogue? Or, are they what are known as dub-titles, transcriptions of the English language dub? If they're dub-titles, and the English language dub is a fairly accurate representation of the original foreign language track, all might be well and good. But, as is often the case, if the dubbed English dialogue strays far from the original language track, you might not be getting everything you bargained for.

My favorite scenario is a foreign language film on DVD that includes an English language dub, with "true" subtitles in English.  It can be a lot of fun to watch a favorite foreign language film in its English language dub with the English subtitles on, and enjoy the often significant differences in translation, emphasis, nuance, etc.

I'd love to get my hands on some foreign language versions of DS12 that include English language subtitles of the foreign language dialogue.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 20, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »
That could be very interesting and possibly even quite enlightening - especially if the translations are really way off.  [ghost_wink]  Though the problem with foreign release DVDs are that they're most often released with a different region code, so unless one has a player that can handle them practically (like not having to reset the player's region code so often that the ability to do so ever again eventually gets completely lost), checking out foreign DS DVDs might ultimately be more of a problem than the fun of watching them might be worth.  [ghost_sad]

40 days 10 hours 54 minutes 2 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 20, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
As expected, DS' box office was higher on Tuesday, bringing in $91,379, which brings its current domestic gross to $75,326,878. And it also seems as if DS retained its 14th or 15th placement:

Tuesday's Box Office

DS also had one of the highest percentages of increase within the films in the Top 15.

40 days 18 hours 41 minutes 1 second since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 21, 2012, 02:04:20 AM »
It is slowly approaching the $80 million mark. I don't see the movie earning more than that doemestically.

The DVD release date in the U.K. is October 22, 2012 http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Films-TV/DVD/Johnny-Depp/Dark-Shadows/product.html?product=E11100575