Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349157 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #570 on: June 09, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
It's funny that SNL Kagan should come up here on the forum because until a few months ago I had never even heard of them. But allow me to backtrack to give the whole picture:

As everybody knows, for months now I've been DVRing entertainment shows like Access Hollywood, Extra, and Entertainment Tonight so as not to miss anything they might do with regard to the DS film. But what might not be known is that I was once a big fan of Entertainment Tonight, well, until it became so tabloid that real entertainment stories were ignored in favor of seemingly endless segments about the likes of Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton, at which point I gave up on it and couldn't even stand seeing the promotional ads for it, much less the actual shows. But originally I watched ET faithfully every night from the day it premiered. But even back then it wasn't exactly perfect because there used to be a host who would literally proclaim the end of the film industry as we knew it based on his belief that the box office numbers at the time proved it. Well, obviously, his dire predictions never really materialized - and fairly soon he was actually out of a job.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I was with my friend who works in a bank, and I was telling him that ET isn't half bad nowadays and maybe he should start to check it out again like we both always did back in the day. I asked him if he remembered the host who used to proclaim the end of the film industry, and we both had a good laugh at the guy's expense - but then my friend said that he might know where the guy had gotten a new job: SNL Kagan. It seemed as if there was an article in one of the financial magazines that his bank regularly subscribes to, and because it was film industry related it caught his eye. He then proceeded to tell me about how one of the things SNL Kagan supposedly does is "analyze" box office and proclaims what film will or won't be profitable - however the article deconstructed and criticized their practices because what comes out of SNL Kagan is strictly based on guesstimating, meaning they fabricate their own figures and conclusions - they're not based on actual fact because, well, they make their proclamations long before films complete their runs in theaters and before things like complete box office numbers and actual sales/rental figures for DVD/Blu-ray releases can actually be factored in. Of course, SNL Kagan countered that everything they do is based on research and trends in the film industry. But the article came back by pointing out that if the amount of films that SNL Kagan proclaims to be unprofitable were actually true, then every film studio would clearly already be out of business because there would be no way they could all be surviving on the few blockbuster films that come out each year. Plus, they also pointed out that much of the "research" they do is in and of itself based on estimates because, for one, it's extremely rare when any of the studios release the actual budget figures for any of their films. However, one thing that they do release to their boards, stockholders, and the public is their profitability statements, and clearly not one of the studios is in as financially dire straits as what SNL Kagan would have be believed because, again, if they were, they would all be out of business.  [ghost_huh]

So, take from all that what you will. But based on that article's conclusions, when it comes to what SNL Kagan has said about almost any of the films recently mentioned, it would seem that it needs to all be taken with a huge grain of salt. And another interesting thing is that there seems to be a site on the Internet called MCN whose favorite mission would appear to be to rip apart practically everything that comes out of SNL Kagan with regard to the film industry to show how outlandish many of their conclusions are. So, it's not just some of us here on the forum or financial magazines that would seem to have a problem with what SNL Kagan spouts.  [ghost_wink]  And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that former ET host not only works for SNL Kagan, but if he's its CEO!  [ghost_grin]

But anyway, changing the subject somewhat, we forgot to post a link to Box Office Mojo's chart for Thursday, so here it is:

Thursday's Box Office

And thanks for sharing the worldwide numbers for Hugo, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]  I hadn't realized that DS had already passed it on that front.  [ghost_cool]

29 days 11 hours 19 minutes 33 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 09, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
DS movie came in 10th place on Friday.

Very interesting if that holds true when the actuals for the weekend are released on Monday. My belief that Thursday might be the last day we'd see DS in the Top 10 was based on predictions at boxoffice.com that Moonrise Kingdom would overtake DS over the weekend with a total of $1.7 million for the three days. However, I now see that they've revised their predictions and they're estimating that DS will bring in $1.4 million for the weekend for a 10th place ranking - and Moonrise Kingdom is nowhere to be seen in the Top 10. I wonder what happened? But if DS does indeed bring in $1.4 million, that would be great because, with the drop in theaters, I was thinking more along the lines of $1.2 million (and probably the last weekend we'll see it over the million mark). And while that may not seem like a big difference, at this point in a film's run every $100 thousand it might bring in is a significantly better amount.

29 days 12 hours 7 minutes 23 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 09, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »
Hmmm - I just noticed that Box Office Mojo has their Friday estimates chart up, and according to them DS will place 11th with $410,000 and Moonrise Kingdom will indeed be 10th with $455,000. Though, of course, those are only estimates, and we'll have to wait until Monday for the real figures. But it makes the changes to boxoffice.com's weekend predictions even more interesting.

29 days 12 hours 53 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
this weekend it's down to only three cinemas in new york...

it's run is definitely winding down.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
Still in two San Francisco theaters. 7 shows a day between the two.
Also still playing in a number of suburban towns here in the Bay Area:
Daly City, Redwood City, Emeryville, Berkeley, a few others.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 10, 2012, 04:14:25 AM »
Down to three theatres in the Orlando area.

Petofi

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
8 in Houston.  We are going there next Thursday. I might hit the 10:15 show if the 7 hour drive doesn't wipe us out.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
5 in my area by this Wednesday, with 4 showings in the main theater, 2 in the newest theater, and 1 in the others. 

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 10, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
I did go to the cheapy theater yesterday (wonderfully air-conditioned as it was 90 outside, and I walked) to see if for the third time, along with The Hunger Games.  I splurged and did the five-dollar package.  The buttered popcorn was so big I couldn't finish it through two movies, so I took it home with me.  Oh, and the theater was more than 3/4 full.  It really did feel nostalgic seeing, after about 35 years, a double-feature, and paying what it cost back then (including admission, popcorn, soda and candy).

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 10, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
That's retro in a good way!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 10, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »
I don't even remember the last time I saw a double feature, Gerard. I'm glad you had fun.  [ghost_wink]

And thanks for the update, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]  It's also interesting that they're no longer saying it's an import, so I guess the book is also being published in the US - and that may be why the price continues to drop.

30 days 11 hours 36 minutes 24 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 10, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
The DS movie is estimated to come in 10th place over the weekend. I think it will make it to the 80 million dollar mark in the U.S. when all is said and done. http://collider.com/weekend-box-office-madagascar-3-passes-prometheus-with-60-3-million-opening/172252/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
Saturday is normally the day during the weekend when films bring in their largest amount of money, so on the DS vs. Moonrise Kingdom front it's going to be very interesting to see the Saturday estimates because if DS isn't in the 10th spot on Saturday, then I can't see it ranking 10th for the weekend. Though I'm certainly hopeful that it will be 10th on Saturday.  [ghost_wink]

30 days 12 hours 2 minutes 40 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #584 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

DS is still ahead of four major releases that followed it.
Way ahead!