Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350444 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1065 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
MB, I was just composing this post while you posted, but I will go ahead and post this anyway- it addresses your question about what the theater counts might be this coming week:

The theater counts for next week will be reported this evening, but I noticed something on the box office mojo site this morning.  The tab for "showtimes" has been removed from DS's BOM page:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkshadows.htm

There are still "showtimes" tabs for both Rock of Ages and Bernie, which are 2 movies that are also nearing the end of their theatrical life.  So I wonder if this means that DS closes today, or if it'll simply be in too few theaters to bother to keep a "showtimes" tab (and its search function) available. 

Either way, all in all, while I do wish that DS could've done slightly better at the box office (I'm too lazy to go back and read what I was hoping for somewhere earlier in this thread, but I suspect that I was originally hoping for $100 M), it did do respectably, especially by showing some "legs" later in its run.  I do hope that the DVD sales will be robust.  I have the blu-ray/DVD combo in my Amazon cart (along with HODS and NODS), but haven't yet hit the pre-order button, but I will pull the trigger soon.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1066 on: August 16, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »
Or is it that you never have the nerve to post what you think of?!  [naughty]  If so, you should really go for it. Don't be shy - especially because it all likelihood you'll be rewarded for it.  [laughing6]

No really, I'm not that shy!  [ghost_grin]  I just can't seem to be able to think of anything, but then I always laugh when I see what others post.  But if I do think of anything, I will try  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 16, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
Well, if DS does close after today, it wouldn't be a surprise. In fact, given how so far this year only one WB film has played in theaters longer than 13 weeks, I was anticipating DS possibly closing after its 13th week, too - so I was really quite pleased to see it go on to a 14th week.  [ghost_smiley]  And yes - DS performed really well domestically over the past two months and more. And when it comes to its foreign grosses, there's still so much that hasn't been officially tallied and reported (though Box Office Mojo is still reporting its grosses in several countries). Not to mention that DS doesn't even open in Venezuela until tomorrow.

97 days 11 hours 0 minutes 8 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 16, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »
I checked Box Office Mojo to see what it said about DS for TX. I went to the Showtimes Tab for today, to select DS. It's not on the list of available movies in the dropdown menu. When I entered the zip code for Brownsville, DS came up, playing at their 2nd run theater. Now....I'm staying at South Padre Island...Brownsville is only 20 miles out of my way back home....should I or shouldn't I???

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 16, 2012, 04:13:45 PM »
I'm curious about where DS is playing today. Since there are most likely 45 theaters running it and 50 states, that implies that, on average, it's only playing in one place per state, if it's there at all. Of course, you don't need to tell the guy who grew up in RI and moved to TX that state sizes vary widely!  Still, even if Brownsville isn't the only place in TX still showing it, I'm still scratching my head. Why Brownsville?? I have a friend who grew up in that city. He calls it, with no affection at all, Tatooine. I know someone else reported it was a a maxi-saver somewhere.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 16, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
More probable signs that the film is closing: the official US Web site no longer has a link to check showtimes - and the home page graphic now simply says "Own It October 2" as opposed to "In Theaters Now," which is what it used to say.

97 days 11 hours 24 minutes 6 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1071 on: August 17, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »
DS made $3,670 yesterday (down 6.5% from Tuesday) for a total of $79,722,912.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-08-15&p=.htm

The theater counts for next week have been linked from the home page, which usually means the list is "finished", but DS does not appear.  As MB says, that doesn't *necessarily* mean the film has closed, but it *might* mean that.  Well, at least we still have today's box office to consider  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 17, 2012, 12:55:43 AM »
Though it's interesting that Wednesday's numbers for DS were a bit higher than Monday's because Wednesday tends to be the lowest day of the week for many films. It's also interesting that when it comes to the percentages of decrease, DS had one of the lowest percentages, meaning DS didn't drop all that much compared to others. And what's even more interesting is that only 3 films managed any sort of increase - and of those, 2 had pretty low percentages - 1 was even a puny percentage.

And as always, thanks so much for posting the numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

97 days 19 hours 55 minutes 43 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 17, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »
I've posted another batch of captures/set ups on the film's "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)" board - including something from one of the deleted scenes.

97 days 20 hours 48 minutes 8 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 17, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
According to Fandango, the theatre in Hooksett, New Hampshire still has the movie, with four shows a day. It's also playing at 1 theatre in North Carolina and 1 in Pennsylvania. So it isn't quite dead yet.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1075 on: August 17, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
I also saw one in the LA area when I was plugging in a few random cities into Fandango.  Nothing in my area, though, as it's been for several weeks.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1076 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
DS had a nice increase of 15% yesterday, of $4,237, to bring the total to $79,727,149.  (It's funny- most of the bigger films went down yesterday, but a lot of the so-called "platform releases" of 1 to 99 theaters went up).

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2012-08-17

Well, they will certainly not be doing weekend estimates for DS, as they haven't done that for quite awhile, and it'll be interesting to see if the film gets tracked daily next week with the small handful of theaters it may have remaining.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 18, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »
Very, very interesting that DS is still in theaters!  [ghost_cool]  And as I've been saying, WB has been tracking all of their films right up until their last day - even Chernobyl Diaries when it was only playing in 23 theaters and pulling in well under $2,000 a day. (Though the amounts it was pulling in in its final week were massive amounts of money compared to what Mirror Mirror was pulling in this past week! At least CD's per screen never fell below $63.  [ghost_wink]  As opposed to the $7, $8, and $9 per screens of MM this past week!  [ghost_shocked])

And once again, thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

98 days 23 hours 5 minutes 19 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 18, 2012, 04:54:45 AM »
A friend in NY, near the PA line, said DS is playing in her general area but too far away for her to be tempted to go see it. Sounds like the situation I had with Brownsville. It was 45 miles from where I live, but since I was going to South Padre Island overnight, I took the 20 or so mile detour to see it on its last day. It really only added about 12 miles to my trip back home.

David

« Reply #1079 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:51 AM »
The film is still playing in several Latin American countries. Sure wish the overseas box office would get updated.