Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349202 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #525 on: June 04, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Willie's crack about "You'll have to excuse him, he's English," or something to that effect, didn't make the final cut.  Willie looks as though he's speaking to someone as he sits in a car.  I assume he's excusing some odd behavior of Barnabas'.

Yes, that's definitely one of the two I noticed.  [ghost_wink]

The other may be a bit harder to pinpoint because unless you were really paying attention, you may not have noticed its absence because it's a missing part of a scene that is in the film...

24 days 12 hours 28 minutes 40 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
Amazon has an image for the Dark Shadows Art of the Film book (which, according to the photo, is actually called the Dark Shadows Visual Guide).  It also contains a foreward by Tim Burton.

Oops - I'd completely forgotten until a few minutes ago that I received a text message on my phone yesterday. And when I just finally opened it I discovered it was a tweet from GK Films to say that this book won't be coming out until November 27th. So, I checked Amazon, and their page is actually reflecting that - as well as that the price has dropped to $34.95:

Dark Shadows: The Art of the Film [Hardcover]

And my order has also been updated with the new price and with an estimated delivery date between December 3rd and the 7th. I suppose it will be a Christmas gift to myself. [santa_wink] And that's all well and fine. But who knows why it's being delayed so long? But then, I guess we should just be happy that it's still coming out because for a while there I had my doubts - especially after it disappeared from Amazon UK.

24 days 13 hours 48 minutes 56 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 04, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
According to figures I just saw on boxoffice.com, DS came in between the $3.8 and $3.6 million estimates with $3,703,205, which brings its current domestic gross to $70,677,046. And what's interesting is that going by the $3.8 million estimate, it actually brought in a bit more on Saturday than estimated but a bit less on the other two days. However, I have no idea where it ranked for the weekend because all the figures for the other films haven't been posted yet. But Box Office Mojo should have those sooner rather than later.

24 days 15 hours 16 minutes 56 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 04, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
Box Office Mojo just put up their chart for the actuals and, as expected, DS placed 8th for the weekend.

Also, thanks to its weekend take, DS has now bypassed Act of Valor to become the 12th most successful film of 2012 so far - and it has also bypassed Blade to become the 9th most successful vampire film. And with regard to that chart, I believe that with the exception of Van Helsing, it is the only film in the Top 10 that isn't based on a popular book or comic. (At least I don't think Van Helsing was based on a comic. Was it?)

24 days 15 hours 40 minutes 56 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
OK, this is really trivial and barely on topic, but ... we all know about the DS themed cosmetics campaign one of the big brands (I honestly forget which one) has launched as a movie tie-in... well, I was just in the drugstore buying a few sundries and I saw in the perfume and makeup department this huge maquette (or whatever it's called) for a new line from Cover Girl with the tag, "Don't spend your life living in somebody else's shadow."  And whether I'm hallucinating or not, the model featured on the ad looked a lot like Magtoria/Josette as portrayed by Miss Heathcote.

It made me giggle...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #530 on: June 04, 2012, 11:22:44 PM »
A sweet friend of mine bought and sent me the lovely makeup collection.  I don't know if I will ever be able to bear using any of it though.  It's positively fabulous makeup though.  Wonderful colors to get Liz, Angelique, or Julia (VAVAVAVOOOM) looks...The packaging alone is gorgeous. Again I just don't know if I can use it. I guess it will eventually dry up by the time I am old--er......decisions decisions....

Great to hear DS is still doing well.  It's going still showing into next week at both theaters here....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 05, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »
well, I was just in the drugstore buying a few sundries and I saw in the perfume and makeup department this huge maquette (or whatever it's called) for a new line from Cover Girl with the tag, "Don't spend your life living in somebody else's shadow."  And whether I'm hallucinating or not, the model featured on the ad looked a lot like Magtoria/Josette as portrayed by Miss Heathcote.

It made me giggle...

Cute story, Gothick.  The Cover Girl was probably Taylor Swift.

David

« Reply #532 on: June 05, 2012, 02:02:59 AM »
I'm ready for one more big screen showing
Going with a friend tomorrow night. His first time

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:32 AM »
I was surprised to discover that this past weekend's installment of Access Hollywood, which I just finally got around to watching, and which was dubbed the "Stars Of Summer,"had new stuff with Michelle Pfeiffer and Chloe Moretz.  [ghost_cool]

24 days 22 hours 19 minutes 32 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #534 on: June 05, 2012, 05:07:50 AM »
Michele Pfeiffer, looking like she's in her 30s, is being interviewed on Piers Morgan Tonight (CNN) right now, it airs again in 3 hours.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 05, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »
And then there's Roger. I forget what secret was hinted about with him - but his part was so cut down that, sadly, he barely even registers in the film

I haven't recalled his secret, but I suddenly remembered today that it was often said in descriptions of his character that Roger treats Willie terribly, and in at least one of the descriptions it said that Barnabas definitely takes note of that - yet there's none of that in the film either.

25 days 10 hours 55 minutes 59 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
According to figures on boxoffice.com, on Monday DS brought in $408,058, which now brings its current domestic gross to $71,085,104. And lest anyone think that Monday's amount seems like quite a fall from the $970,883 it brought in on Sunday, it's actually pretty normal - and I've prepared another list to show just that. However, I can't attach it just now because Monday's figures for MIB III haven't come out yet. But I'll definitely attach the list when I post the link to Box Office Mojo's chart after it becomes available.

25 days 14 hours 51 minutes 37 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
DS ranked 9th on Monday:

Monday's Box Office

One thing I find fascinating - even more fascinating than when the 3rd and 8th films were only separated by $239,280 on May 30th - is that on Monday the 4th and 9th films were separated by only $153,108. But then, they are the same films even if they're in a bit of a different arrangement. And as they play longer in theaters, the amount of money they bring is inevitably going to decrease. But still, it's quite interesting how much closer they're getting, particularly when they've all been in release for different amounts of time.

But apart from that, once again for anyone who really is interested in seeing just how this year's films stack up when compared head-to-head, I've prepared and attached a list that compares them as of their 25th day*. (And once again, the first column is obviously the name of the film, the second column is the film's gross as of its 25th day, the third column in the date it hit its 25th day, and the final column is what the film brought in at the box office on its 25th day.)

(* MIB III is the only film that wouldn't otherwise be on the list that prior to its 25th day in release has grossed more than DS, so that's why it's included. And because Snow White and the Huntsman is likely to overtake DS shortly, it's also included on the list.)

25 days 16 hours 0 minutes 26 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 05, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
DS leaves the McAllen-Brownsville TX area on Thursday night.  Corpus has it playing once daily next week (150 miles from me).  I might try to catch it once more on Thusday.  I saw it today for the $5.00 Bargain Tuesday special.  6th time!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
I checked my hometown, Newport, RI. It's playing through Thursday as well and then seems to be leaving. The situation is the same for the Providence area.  I'm using the search engine from the official site.  Maybe they don't have listings for Friday on yet.  The info regarding the S. TX locations came from a bored manager who was all tot happy to give me info on the local and Corpus theaters.