Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349261 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
I am not hiding anything. I live in a small town in Kentucky where prices are not what everyone is used to.  It only cost 6.50 to get into the movies. The drink was about 4 dollars with free refills. That matinee is about 3.50!

What?  $3.50 for a matinee and free refills on sodas?  And you didn't tell us about this, dear Taeylor, why?  Do you know it would've been cheaper for many, if not most, of us to buy airline tickets and hotel reservations to fly to your humble abode mixed with paying those prices at your theater than what it cost to seeing it where we live (not counting refreshments)?  Dare I tell you what a matinee costs where I reside, and it ain't like I'm living in Manhattan?  No, I dare not, for, for me to recount it, would give me the vapors. 

The next time a DS movie comes out, please be a true cousin and invite us (we may overflow your home, but we'll all chip in for eggs and bacon for breakfast, not to mention playing spin-the-bottle before we all retire). 

$3.50 for a matinee and free refills and you didn't tell us?  Oh, the betrayal!

Gerard

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
I just can't believe how many of you hadn't learned before that you should abstain from beverages for at least an hour before a movie, and make sure you visit the restroom during the trailers, ESPECIALLY when going to see a movie as momentous as DS!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
Lots of love for Dark Shadows in Japan and France.  That is good to hear... and it makes sense.  I wonder if that will be enough for Warner Bros. to look into additional avenues. 

Thanks for the links, everyone. 

And, yes, drinking soda while at a movie like Shadows is a huge no-no!   [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
Y'all are cracking me up. 

Yes Gerard! PLEASE COME ONE! COME ALL! We will have a hoe down!  ;)

I am hoping it cost 60. However, like Brandon said if it was 125 then from here on out is profit. 

I know of people who have went like eight times now!!! 

I am going to try and go at least three!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 21, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »
I'll be there, at your home, Taeylor, for the next DS movie, along with lots of others of us!  (How's that for bad grammar?)  We'll have more than a hoe-down, we'll have a riot!  We'll serve libations, order pizza and make prank phone calls ("This is WLOW with our question of the week!  Answer it correctly, and you'll win our prize!  What did George Washington say when he chopped down the cherry tree?...I'm sorry, but 'I cannot tell a lie" is incorrect.  The correct answer is:  'Timber!'" - oh, the things we did as kids before caller ID) along with playing spin-the-bottle.

I went to see it for my second and last time.  The reason why it's the last time is two-fold.  That's all I can afford (I really couldn't, so I'll be eating lots of peanut butter for awhile), and our little theater is only showing it for a few more days.  There were less than a half-dozen, if that many, in the seats.  Who cares?  I have to now save up to buy the two soundtracks.  And, when it comes out next Thursday on DVD (I'm kidding - but not too much; you know how Hollywood is), I have to buy that, too.  I said DVD, not Blu-Ray.  You think I'm made of money?

Gerard

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 21, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »
I just bought the score at Best Buy.  They had three in stock, and a special placement card for it.  Very nice to see.  Only 9.99.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 21, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »
As we discuss this film (whether one thinks it's wonderful or not), word has just been spoken that another member of of the culture we, who watched the OS, grew up with passed away.  First, we lost our beloved Jonathan Frid.  Then it was Maurice Sendak who gave us little ones back then Where the Wild Things Are.  Add to that, George Lindsey who we all (who grew up watching DS and so many other shows) who was Goober on The Andy Griffith Show.  Then came Donna Summers.  Now it's Robin Gibbs of the Bee-Gees. 

We OS watchers grew up with them all.  We are watching our era passing away.  Thank goodness that some of it has been preserved through this movie.  Thank you, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.  You both have made us feel young again.

Gerard

David

« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2012, 02:44:27 AM »
For what it's worth: of all the underperforming films that followed the release of The Avengers, DS had the highest above all grosses for it's opening weekend. I hope WB takes note of that.

Very sorry to hear about Gibb. My heart goes out to his still living Mom, who's now buried three of her four sons.
Godspeed to that poor woman.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
So how much does DS need to make to break even?  I heard somewhere that it was twice it's budget. Is that true?  Does it need to make 300 million?  Imdb lists the budget at 150 million.  Is that accurate?  That figure seems an unlikely target for it to hit.

David

« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:57 AM »
It won't make $150 million in the USA, but it could make that amount worldwide.
It'll certainly be a profitable film once television showings and DVD/Blu Ray kick in.
As long as the film turns a profit, more DS films are possible, though I suspect WB would lower future budgets.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2012, 03:44:02 AM »
If my math is correct the DS movie has earned an estimated $118.6 million worldwide to date. It includes an estimated domestic take of $50.9 million plus overseas earnings of $67.7 million in two weeks (37.3 million week 1; 30.4 million week 2).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 21, 2012, 04:16:48 AM »
According to Entertainment Weekly, DS' foreign gross so far is $81.3 million. The $37.3 million figure was what the film made last weekend, and the $30.4 million figure is supposedly what it made this weekend - though neither of those figures takes into account what it made during the week - hence the larger figure of $81.3 million for its current total foreign gross. However, I suspect the $30.4 million figure, like the domestic figure of $12,770,000, is an estimate for this weekend. The actual amounts won't be revealed until tomorrow...

It's also worth noting that EW would seem to be aligning with Variety's belief that the budget is $125 million. And if that is true, then with this weekend's worldwide box office take, DS' current worldwide gross will have surpassed its budget...

Though much of what I've just said was already explained by Brandon Collins back in reply #267.  [ghost_smiley]

9 days 23 hours 16 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #282 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:19 AM »
Currently posted at Box Office Mojo: the film has so far taken in $132 million worldwide in ten days, so it'll definitely be profitable while still in theaters.
Here's hoping for a few sequels!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2012, 04:35:50 AM »
Even more impressive than I thought. I seemed to have missed some posts. My apologies. I guess WB will soon be putting out some ads in the trade magazines reflecting the movie's worldwide performance.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
Hi all, catching up after being out of town for a few days (I popped in a couple of times but didn't really have time to contribute).  I'm glad to see that the film is doing well overseas.  Of course, it can't be anywhere in the same universe as The Avengers, but it was never going to be.

Among Johnny's movies, the domestic box office has just surpassed that of Secret Window (domestic lifetime gross of $48M; realize that I am not adjusting for inflation), and will catch Finding Neverland ($51.7M) in the next couple of days, and Sweeney Todd ($52.9), Blow ($53.0), and Corpse Bride ($53.4) probably by the weekend or so.  I also think that even though The Avengers will be the film to profit the most from Memorial Day Weekend, I do think that the holiday will be good for all movies, hopefully including DS!  I hope to see it my 2nd time over the weekend, and by the way I'm happy to see that more folks than not seem to have enjoyed it better the second time around  [ghost_smiley]