Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349151 times)

David

Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1230 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
 [ghost_tongue]

My In Defense of DS piece gets published in Fangoria next month, where I point out a few facts, ignored by others, that proves the franchises' enduring popularity.

David

« Reply #1231 on: September 18, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
I'm reviewing the Depp Shadows DVD for Scary Monsters & Videoscope Mags. I've just been told to expect my copy tomorrow.

YEAH BABY! I'M BAD!!!!!!!! [ghost_cool]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 18, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
Lucky you!  [ghost_wink]

Interestingly and inexplicably, ES.TV continues to air DS interviews this week. Today I checked what my DVR recorded and it ended up being the ep with the Johnny Depp segment. That ep didn't originally run until six days after the Chloe Moretz/Bella Heathcoate ep - and it originally repeated six days afterward. This week is the first time ever since I've been paying attention (which has been since about February) that ES.TV has been running eps out of their original weekly sequence, meaning if Monday started with the rerun of one ep, that ep had originally been a Monday ep and during the rest of the week it was followed by reruns of the same eps that had originally run after it during the week of their original airing.

Though like I said yesterday, the more ES.TV wants to keep running its shows with DS segments, the better.  [ghost_wink]

130 days 15 hours 42 minutes 52 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

13 days 8 hours 17 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 19, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »
Box Office Mojo just declared Depp Shadows one of the summer's losers, while films that grossed LESS than DS, and cost the same, are being declared winners.

F THIS BS!

What you said!  The film lasted in theaters for a third of a year, longer than many, if not most or even all of the other "blockbusters."  And it cleaned up on the foreign markets.  The only thing that went wrong was the marketing, and even despite that, it still was a money-maker internationally.  There are just people who hate DS (and now hate Burton and Depp).

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 19, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »
No DS segments on ES.TV today. And my DVR finally has the schedule and there won't be any for the rest of the week (though they're still running eps wildly out of sequence). But hey, it was fun while it lasted.  [ghost_wink]

131 days 10 hours 59 minutes 35 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

12 days 13 hours 0 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 19, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
DOSE depp keep the rights to ds or sell them since another film seems unlikely why would he keep the rights?

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1236 on: September 19, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
i think there will be another film.

David

« Reply #1237 on: September 19, 2012, 06:14:56 PM »
I just got my DVD screener, look for my reviews.
I'm rubbing the disc all over my body!
 [ghost_smiley]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »
Of course the expectations of profit for a Burton/Depp venture are higher than most, even if the duo doesn't always look for big box office projects to do.  They are held to a higher standard in terms of performance expectations.  Depp Shadows wasn't a wild success but it wasn't the absymal failure either.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
Of course the expectations of profit for a Burton/Depp venture are higher than most, even if the duo doesn't always look for big box office projects to do.  They are held to a higher standard in terms of performance expectations.

Given the performance of their past films, I can see where there can be high expectations when Depp/Burton collaborate. But neither that nor the reasoning as to why DS might be considered a different case was honestly the issue I was attempting to illustrate with my post regarding what was recently said on Box Office Mojo. In that specific case it was huge distortion of previous opinion for the writer to have previously laid out valid reasons for why it was very unlikely that DS would make the kind of money that Depp/Burton's previous films have and then to turn around and blast the film for not making the type of money that Depp/Burton's films have been known to make in the past. And what the writer recently said was worse still when his very own prediction of what the film could make domestically (without The Avengers being factored in, which is a whole other issue in itself) was basically half as much as what he's now saying it was "inexcusable" that the film didn't make. Apparently he thinks none of us remember what he said previously so we're not about to realize that what he's saying now completely flies in the face of what he said then.  [ghost_rolleyes]  It's his flip-flop that's at issue - not what DS should've would've could've made.  [ghost_smiley]  And actually, it's his own credibility that can be more negatively viewed than anything negative he aimed at DS.  [ghost_wink]

Depp Shadows wasn't a wild success but it wasn't the absymal failure either.

Very true.  [ghost_smiley]

131 days 14 hours 35 minutes 22 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

12 days 9 hours 24 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

David

« Reply #1240 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
I don't thing Avengers affected the film at all, people who wanted to see Depp Shadows did so regardless.
I do think the American trailer drove a few people away.

Any way, International box office money is stil trickling in, $1.5 million was added last week. By the time DVD/Blu Ray/Pay per view/cable kicks in, the film will be hugely profitable, so F the haters.
RE: Joe Integlia's last comment: I can see Warners green lighting a second film if the budget were lower.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »
DOSE depp keep the rights to ds or sell them since another film seems unlikely why would he keep the rights?

That would all depend on the terms, and what entities (production companies and studios) are party to the initial agreement.  Perhaps they have "right of first refusal" for sequels, but need to pony up more money by a certain deadline in order to exercise those rights; just a wild guess as to a possible scenario.  But I would think that probably anybody else wanting to do a DS project would have to go initially through Dan Curtis Productions, and also negotiate with Depp's company, WB, etc. to take over whatever rights they might still be holding onto.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
I just got my DVD screener, look for my reviews.
I'm rubbing the disc all over my body!
 [ghost_smiley]

I am so jealous.  Of you.

Not sure whether to be jealous of the DVD or not, since I don't know you...  [ghost_undecided]

David

« Reply #1243 on: September 19, 2012, 11:36:19 PM »
Not sure whether to be jealous of the DVD or not, since I don't know you...  [ghost_undecided]

MB can verify that I'm very sexy! [ghost_cheesy]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »
I was in Las Vegas last week and DS was advertised as one of the movies available on PPV in the hotel room (for "only" $11.95).  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was also on the list, so one could have a Seth Grahame Smith movie marathon, if one so chose.

ProfStokes