Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350931 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #810 on: July 06, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
I think that probably the blu-ray and the DVD are the separate discs.  A couple of years ago, I started buying a few favorite films as a blu-ray/DVD combo even though I didn't have a blu-ray player yet, because the price difference was usually only a buck or two and I figured I'd get a blu-ray player at some point (I finally did get a blu-ray player about 6 months ago- just a cheap basic one).  Meanwhile, the DVD would be handy for my laptop, which as it turns out is often how I watch films.  For a time, both the blu-ray and the DVD had most of the same features, but as we've seen start to happen lately, the DVD disc started to have less and less features on it, which sort of puts pressure on everyone to spring for the blu-ray player.  I'm guessing that DS will be similar- that most of the extras will be on the blu-ray now and the DVD will just be the bare-bones movie :(  Still, if the US offers a blu-ray/DVD combo like this French one, and if the price is right, I'll probably go for it.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #811 on: July 06, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
I meant to say, too, that at some point late in any film's theatrical run, they stop tracking the box office daily, and only update at the end of the week or maybe at the end of the weekend in addition.  I didn't expect this to happen in the middle of the week, though!  But perhaps that is what has happened.  As you say, MB, we will probably get the weekly numbers at the end of this day. 

At least DS is still at 303 theaters, which it was at a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 06, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
If the discs do turn out to be one Blu-ray and one DVD, I'd be really curious about where they'd then put the original soundtrack. Although, when it comes to recording artists that I like, I've bought what are known as DualDiscs, with one side being a DVD and the other side being a CD, so I suppose they could do that.

56 days 12 hours 0 minutes 20 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #813 on: July 06, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »
Well, a blu-ray disc generally won't play in a DVD player, so that's why I am assuming they will be separate discs.  I think a CD is compatible with a blu-ray player and I know it's compatible with most DVD players, so I guess I just thought it'd be an extra on one or both (edited to add- what I mean to say is that either the blu-ray or the DVD, or both, would "play" the soundtrack as if it was a CD).  We'll see!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 06, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
at some point late in any film's theatrical run, they stop tracking the box office daily, and only update at the end of the week or maybe at the end of the weekend in addition.  I didn't expect this to happen in the middle of the week, though!  But perhaps that is what has happened.

Up to this point this year WB has been reporting the box office for all their films right up until their last day in theaters, so perhaps it's simply that the Wednesday holiday had something to do with the lack of reporting. Who knows? But with the exception of Rock of Ages, none of WB's films had their numbers reported for Tuesday and Wednesday. But Rock of Ages isn't strictly a WB film - it's a WB/New LIne film - so that may have something to do with it. Though I suppose we won't really know if WB has decided to stop tracking every day until the numbers for Monday come out and either their films are reported or they're not.  [ghost_wink]

One thing I have found funny, though, is that when it comes to studios other than WB, boxoffice.com does have the numbers for a few of the films whose numbers are missing from Box Office Mojo's chart. But perhaps as I said yesterday, maybe Box Office Mojo just got sick of waiting yesterday, so they went with what had been reported to them - and then later on they figured it would be a waste of their effort to update when the weekly numbers are going to come out today.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 06, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
Well, a blu-ray disc generally won't play in a DVD player, so that's why I am assuming they will be separate discs.  I think a CD is compatible with a blu-ray player and I know it's compatible with most DVD players, so I guess I just thought it'd be an extra on one or both (edited to add- what I mean to say is that either the blu-ray or the DVD, or both, would "play" the soundtrack as if it was a CD).  We'll see!

As I've mentioned, though, I've bought Blu-ray/DVD combo releases where the Blu-ray is one side of the disc and the DVD is the other. You really never know what you're going to get until you open the packaging and find out.  [ghost_wink] [ghost_rolleyes]  And like I've said, that's one of the things that sometimes drives me crazy because to me a separate DVD is just a waste because it's something I'm never likely to use. I have yet to ever use any of them that have been included so far with the combo releases I've bought where they've been separate. Give me the straight Blu-ray release any day. But more and more studios are eschewing the straight Blu-ray release and going with the combo release - and chances are that's because they can make a bit more money on it. Apparently they don't care that part of what they're selling is useless to some.

And yes, CDs are definitely compatible with Blu-ray players. I play my CDs in my Blu-ray player or in my computer's Blu-ray drive all the time.  [ghost_smiley]

56 days 12 hours 28 minutes 24 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 06, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »
none of WB's films had their numbers reported for Tuesday and Wednesday

Oops - I'd forgotten that Magic Mike was reported for both days, and it's WB, so who knows?  [idontknow]

56 days 12 hours 59 minutes 33 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #817 on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »

Up to this point this year WB has been reporting the box office for all their films right up until their last day in theaters, so perhaps it's simply that the Wednesday holiday had something to do with the lack of reporting. 

Are you sure that they actually post the box office daily, though?  Or do they just report all the numbers for the week at the end of the week?  I can't speak for WB per se, but that is how a lot of films are reported when they are late in the run.  I just remember having to exert a lot more patience to know the numbers after a film has been out for awhile, for other films.  As for Magic Mike and even Rock of Ages, they are more recent releases.  At any rate, I do hope we will soon know the full numbers.

I haven't come across those dual DVD/blu-ray discs, but I don't have that many blu-rays (or blu-ray/DVD combos) in my collection yet.  But man, I *hated* the dual-sided DVDs or dual DVD/CD discs that I have gotten from time to time in the past!  It's so hard to tell which side is which, and I think it's so much harder to damage them because both sides are so vulnerable.  So, I hope DS won't be one of those!  As for whether a combo package is needed, yeah MB, you're right in a way that you're just kind of getting an extra disc that you may not need.  But as I said, I got a few of those combos when I didn't have a blu-ray player yet, so I did need the DVD for the instant gratification of being able to watch it even before I bought a blu-ray player!  And I also figured that the extra would be good for my laptop, or for travel.  And in the cases when I sprung for it, there was always such a small price difference, like a buck or two, that it was almost like getting another disc nearly for free.  But I do agree that if there is a wider price difference and you don't need that extra disc, it's certainly a rip-off!  Now that I have the blu-ray player, I wouldn't buy a combo unless the price difference is very small and/or there are a *lot* more extras.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 06, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
Are you sure that they actually post the box office daily, though?  Or do they just report all the numbers for the week at the end of the week?

No, up until this past Tuesday they had been reporting all of their films daily all this year - even a film like Joyful Noise when it was only bring in like a couple thousand a day during its final days. But that sort of tracking would seem to have come to an end because Box Office Mojo has posted the chart for Thursday and the Weekly chart and neither WB's DS nor The Lucky One nor Chernobyl Diaries nor their IMAX film To the Arctic is on them. The last reported day for all four was Monday's box office. So, unless it's simply that something odd is going on this week, it's looking like WB has decided to suspend tracking all their films every day. Or maybe they just can't afford to do it any longer because, well, this hasn't exactly been a boffo year for WB at the box office, now has it?  [ghost_wink]

I guess we're going to have to wait until the weekend actuals come in to see how DS has been doing.  [ghost_sad]

56 days 16 hours 15 minutes 17 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #819 on: July 06, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
Maybe it's just too hot this week to do them all  [ghost_wink]  I know that I only feel like doing half my work, too  [ghost_cheesy]  Oh well, patience, patience, and hopefully at some point we'll get some numbers!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 07, 2012, 01:58:18 AM »
July 5 total is now reflected at Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 07, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
Thank you, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]  Who knows what the hell took Warner Brothers so long to report the numbers for the past three days? But better late than never I suppose.  [ghost_wink]

(One things that's still very weird about Box Office Mojo, though, is that boxoffice.com has had the box office numbers for the past three days for The Dictator up since they actually came out on Thursday and today - yet Box Offcie Mojo still doesn't have them posted.  [ghost_huh]  What's up with that?!)

But anyway, DS pulled in some great numbers for the week, continuing to best the numbers that Wrath of the Titans had brought in - and where DS is still strongest is during the Monday through Thursday period where in its 8th week it brought in over $100,000 more than Wrath of the Titans had.

56 days 21 hours 42 minutes 0 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 07, 2012, 03:16:10 AM »
And now that I've had the chance to analyze the charts it looks like the news only gets better because DS not only came in 21st for the week, but it actually beat Battleship by close to $85,000. The so-called experts who even just a few weeks ago were forecasting that Battleship would surely eventually best DS' domestic gross were apparently way off because that film is currently trailing DS by $12,506,126 - and considering they're both at a point in their runs when they're bringing in under $1 million a week, that sort of lead is virtually impossible to overtake - especially if DS continues to best Battleship for the remaining weeks they might be in theaters. But then, quite often one has to wonder what the so-called experts are thinking?  [ghost_rolleyes]

And I also see that it's looking like DS ranked 18th for Tuesday with $71,202, 22nd for Wednesday - even though it brought in a bit more with $73,527, and 21st for Friday with $67,909, which combined now brings its current domestic gross to $76,555,971.

Apparently, as I had hoped, losing those 62 theaters to The Amazing Spider-Man didn't really do damage.  [ghost_smiley]

56 days 22 hours 16 minutes 10 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 08, 2012, 04:42:35 AM »
Based on what we know can we make the argument that the DS movie is a success? EW doesn't think so in its last paragraph in an article on impressive box office performances so far in 2012. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/04/best-box-office-performances-of-2012/?cnn=yes

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #824 on: July 08, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
According to Dread Central, which in turn cites blu-ray.com, DS will be out on DVD and blu-ray on October 2.  No details about extras, etc. yet.

Dread Central:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/57051/dark-shadows-will-be-cast-dvd-and-blu-ray-october

blu-ray.com:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dark-Shadows-Blu-ray/35610/