Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118146 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1935 on: April 20, 2024, 05:28:14 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
DS 2012: (-1969: Ep #904) - Barnabas - 'Why MUST I alone bear the rotten fruit of our cursed family tree? My parents, taken. My true love, taken.'

From the DS 2012 script:
                                                     CUT TO:

EXT. COLLINWOOD MANOR - NIGHT

Even at this distance, we can hear the anguished
exclamations of --

BARNABAS (PRE-LAP)
          "Angel Bay!"

INT. COLLINWOOD MANOR (DRAWING ROOM) - NIGHT

Elizabeth is alone with Barnabas, trying to sooth his
melodramatic anguish, despite her own shock at the
revelation of Angelique's true identity.

BARNABAS
          The very audacity of the name
          summons vomit into the recesses of
          my mouth!. For it has as its
          proprietor the devil herself!

ELIZABETH
          I always thought there was
          something a little off about
          Angie.

BARNABAS
          Oh, if my vampire eyes were
          capable of tears, I would flood
          the earth with my weeping!

ELIZABETH
          Barnabas, you've done more for
          this family in ten days than I
          have in ten years.

BARNABAS
          Angelique means to destroy us,
          Elizabeth. She hates me.

ELIZABETH
          "Hate?" No, if she merely hated
          you, she would've killed you. A
          curse takes devotion.

BARNABAS
          Fate sees fit to punish me
          forever! Has the infernal
          calculus of grief any limit? Any
          end?

ELIZABETH
          Barnabas...

BARNABAS
          What our ancestors did to incur
          such wrath I know not, but why
          must I bear the rotten fruit of
          our family's cursed tree?

He throws himself onto the organ; buries his head in his
hands.

BARNABAS (CONT'D)
          My parents, taken. My true love,
          taken.

ELIZABETH
          And what did you do?

BARNABAS
               (a beat, then)
          I tried to kill myself by jumping
          off a cliff.

ELIZABETH
          You fought, Barnabas. When your
          parents were killed, you fought
          on!

Barnabas raises his head.

BARNABAS
          I did, didn't I.

ELIZABETH
          You tried to keep the family
          business afloat! Tried to find
          the source of our curse and
          extinguish it forever!

A raised head becomes a full-on raised body.

BARNABAS
          My God...you're right. I fought
          for the survival of our name.

ELIZABETH
          You fought because it's in your
          blood!

And the excerpt is from the November 30, 2010 version of the script, which is not the exact version that was ultimately shot. As such some of the dialogue is different in the excerpt. Case in point, in the film the quote is not preceded by Barnabas saying "What our ancestors did to incur such wrath I know not, but", and you'll note the remainder of what's scripted is slightly different from the quote, which is what Barnabas actually says in the film. Also different, while the exterior shot of Collinwood is in the film (preceded by crashing waves), Barnabas doesn't actually say "Angel Bay" until we see him in the drawing room with Elizabeth.

And Ep #904 now joins Eps #1, #124, #198, #478 and #659 as ones without any "must" lines - and that's the final one for this month.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 21, 2024, 03:54:44 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #987 (1970PT) - Quentin - 'You MUST stay. You have to. It would mean very much to Daniel.'

From  "#0986/0987: Robservations 06/18/03: Real or Memorex?"
Alexis draws back from the kiss, murmuring, "Quentin, please."  He apologizes--I didn't know what came over me. Yes you did, she says, rising from the piano bench, and so do I--you thought I was Angelique, just like everyone else--it's been that way my entire life, as if I didn't even exist, she sobs, staring at the portrait--"But I did think that YOU, at least...
"No, he says, it can't be. Why shouldn't you be like everyone else? she asks-- Julia Hoffman and Amy--they  both think I'm some kind of ghost, and the way Bruno acted this afternoon...  Bruno? asks Quentin. Yes, he was here, mostly out of curiosity, I'm sure, says Alexis. Bruno was here in this room? asks Quentin. He heard me playing a song of his, explains Alexis, and came in with all kinds of excuses, but what he really wanted to do was see if I was real!  He won't come in here again, I promise you that, says Quentin. It really doesn't matter, says Alexis, I won't be here, I'm leaving--I really believed that you, of all people, believed who and what I was, but now...  But I do, protests Quentin, I do--you're Alexis, and what I did just a moment ago was very stupid and meaningless--please forgive me and tell me you'll stay. I really shouldn't, she says, there's been nothing but trouble ever since I've arrived, I even caused your wife to leave you.  It wasn't your fault Maggie left, he says. I wish I could believe that, but I still feel I shouldn't be here, says Alexis--maybe if I leave, Maggie will come back. I got a telegram from Maggie earlier today, says Quentin--she wants to think things through before deciding anything. With me gone, it would be easier for her to decide, says Alexis. Quentin looks odd. I'll miss not meeting Daniel, she says--I've looked forward to it so much, I can't tell you. She picks up the photo of Daniel and Quentin, gazing wistfully at it. You must stay, he insists, you have to--it would mean so much to Daniel-- please. Not nearly as much as it would mean to me, says Alexis--he's such a handsome boy. Then it's settled, says Quentin, you'll stay

The Robservations has the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: April 22, 2024, 04:48:22 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1136 (1840) - Gerard - 'This MUST be worth a fortune.'

From  "#1136/1137: Robservations 10/22/03: Julia & Leticia Tend to Zachary"
Gerard caresses the mask--Leticia where did you get it? he asks.  I found it, simpers Leticia.  You're lying! he accuses, this must be worth a fortune--this gold and all these jewels.  Jewels? she laughs, no they're pieces of colored glass!--it wouldn't fetch a farthing, it's just a plaything.  Don't take me for a fool, he says, growing angry

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 23, 2024, 06:00:34 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #973 (1970) - Sabrina - 'I know Chris has forbidden me to get involved, but I feel I MUST.'

From  "Robservations 6/9/03 - #972-973 - On the Run From a Shadow"
I want to try, she says, help Chris--I don't care how much he tries to shut me out, I will--I thought of one way--get rid of Bruno--Chris won't mention it, but I know he's worried about the fact that Bruno knows all about him--and Bruno is waiting for Chris. Quentin sits on the bed. I wish Chris had killed him when Bruno captured him, says Sabrina. Don't wish him that, says Quentin--every life he takes gives him great pain--very great pain--and he looks as if he knows exactly what Chris is experiencing.
He isn't to blame for that, says Sabrina. I know that, says Q--but the pain is still there. You have great insight, she says, seem to understand how others feel--please try to understand how I feel, she begs--Chris has forbidden me to get involved, but I feel I must.

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And if only they'd written Quentin like they did for this scene more often, he would have been a lot more interesting during Leviathans, which is a storyline he was all too often wasted during. But sadly, no - that's certainly wasn't what DC wanted pushed.  [easter_rolleyes]  I suppose we should just be grateful that we got this scene and the one between Quentin and Chris in Ep #962. And should we be surprised that both eps were written by Violet Welles? I think not...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 24, 2024, 02:58:20 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #878 (1897) - Garth Blackwood - 'Justice MUST be served, sir. He who obstructs justice will suffer for it.'

From  "Robservations 4/4/03 - #878-879 - Tim and Judith Plot Together"
Garth, holding his chain in both hands, enters Evan's house--I've come for the prisoner! He declares.  Who are you, and what do you mean by barging into my house? demands Evan. Garth comes closer and says, I am THE LAW--tell me where the prisoner is!  You're a madman, accuses Evan--get out!  He was seen entering this house, says Blackwood--the penalty for harboring criminals is severe--justice must be served--he who obstructs justice will suffer--I will search until I find the criminal. You will not search this house, says Evan firmly--you're here illegally and I'm calling the police!  I have one and only one warning for you, sir, says Blackwood--stand aside!
Evan refuses.  Garth wraps his chain around the lawyer's throat and throttles him unconscious.

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: April 25, 2024, 05:46:14 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #657 (1968) - Barnabas - 'Vicki wants my help and I MUST stay here and help her.'

From  "Robservations 9/20/02 - #656/657 - Barnabas Deals With Heartbreak"
Maggie comes in and tells Barnabas she wants to speak to him. She sends the kids upstairs. David asks if something's the matter, but she brushes him off. The kids overhear her telling Barnabas what happened. He reads the note and tells her he didn't want to believe it before, but Vicki must really be trying to contact them. What will they do? We can't leave the house, insists Barn--Vicki needs my help, and I must stay and help her.

If not for one word, the Robservations would have referenced the quote perfectly...

And Barnabas does indeed use "must" in that other spot during the scene - but that's a quote for another time.

And who knows what sort of glitch the camera shooting the quoted moment was having?

But thankfully they either repaired or replaced it before it caused weird shots in too many eps...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: Yesterday at 05:18:24 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #360 (1967) - Tony - 'Miss Hoffman, I--I, I can't pretend to understand any of this. I only know that my clients MUST trust me.'

From  "#0359/0360: Robservations 02/15/02: Julia Asks Sarah For Help"
Although Tony Peterson is in a big hurry to get to court, Julia tells him someone could die if he refuses to help her immediately, so he agrees. She wants to see her notebook, she says, to reassure herself it's all right.
She's behaving just the slightest bit loony, but Tony complies and opens the safe; however, when he can't find it immediately, she accuses him of being in on the conspiracy, of stealing the notebook from her. He's so insulted that when he does find it and she checks the lock to make sure it hasn't been tampered with, he tells her to take the blasted thing with her, if she doesn't trust him. She has to work hard to convince him she does trust him, and he reluctantly takes it and puts it back in his safe, clearly thinking she's got some missing attic insulation.

This is another Robservations with little detail and the actual quote isn't referenced - but at least the circumstances under which it comes up is...