Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350597 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #840 on: July 11, 2012, 01:11:30 AM »
So it's really only when you compare the budget to the boxoffice gross that DS can be viewed as something of a disappointment. Its steady performance shows that it really is a successful film as far as just counting butts in seats.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #841 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
The Tuesday DS box office take was $46,717, up 14.8% from yesterday, and again better than the Tuesday box office for 2 weeks ago (though much lower than last week's holiday-eve number).  This brings the domestic total to $76,948,27.  At the moment, DS is in 22nd place for Tues., unless something else sneaks in.

You can see all the daily numbers here:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=darkshadows.htm

The big question is, how many theaters will be lost next week?  We won't know the theater counts until tomorrow evening.  It will apparently be leaving my local cheapie theater next week  [ghost_sad]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
We didn't go see the double feature of DS (the other one playing was that Snow White movie) at the drive-in a few towns away because of the heat.  Both played for just Thursday-through-Sunday night (the only time it's open) and from what I heard, despite the heat, there were lines of cars waiting to get in.  I guess we were just too wimpy.  It would've been fun - I haven't been to a drive-in for 30 years, but that heat was just too much, even in the evening.

Once again, when it costs a gazillion dollars to see a movie, especially in this economy, people stay away.  When I saw DS at full price, the theaters were less than 10% filled (if that much I'll wager it was only around 5%).  When the cost is cheap, a downright bargain, the theaters are filled.  When I saw HoDS back in the stone ages, where it cost 35 cents (for a double-feature), the line extended down the block and around the corner and the two balconies and box seats (the uppermost balcony and the box seats technically closed because, before restoration, they were ready to collapse, but back then government agencies weren't as picky) were packed.  Take a note, Hollywood, take a note.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 12, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
Once again thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]  And it's looking like DS did come in 22nd because again I don't seen any other films being reported that might have bested DS.

And about the only things I have to add is that now that any holidays are out of the picture, DS once again regained its 1st place position so far as films in the same range of theaters go at this point in their 9th week of release. In fact, it beat second place (WB's The Lucky One (and not Wrath of the Titans for a change  [ghost_wink])) by well over $9,000.

61 days 19 hours 34 minutes 43 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »
Although this article is from 4 days ago we are not the only ones noticing how well the movie is doing recently. Wonder if WB or the movie chains have taken notice. http://www.horrorsociety.com/2012/07/07/horror-sales-abe-lincoln-true-blood-and-haunted-highway/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
The big question is, how many theaters will be lost next week?

It will definitely be interesting to see - particularly when so far DS has been following fairly closely to Wrath of the Titans release pattern (give or take 50 or so theaters here or there). And for what it's worth, Wrath of the Titans dropped to 205 theaters in its 10th week.

we are not the only ones noticing how well the movie is doing recently. Wonder if WB or the movie chains have taken notice.

I would say both have noticed because the theaters are the ones doing the business and WB is reporting the grosses. And it's definitely nice to see that at least one Web site has also taken notice, even if it has taken them a while because DS has been performing well for longer than the past three weeks. Though it won't surprise me if we don't see more sites acknowledging how well DS has been doing because then they might actually have to admit that their opinion of the public's perception of the film is wrong. I mean, even horrorsociety.com can't seem to realize or doesn't want to accept that chances are that it's word of mouth that's been driving ticket sales.

62 days 11 hours 53 minutes 36 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #846 on: July 12, 2012, 06:28:14 PM »
The film has continued playing in Bay Area suburban theaters, but has not been in the city proper for a few weeks. Tomorrow, it opens anew in SF at the UA Stonestown Twin, an older two screen theater. Four shows a day for at least a week.
Plus four shows at the Castro Theater next week on Wed only.

The one day gig at the Castro is typical of how that theater programs itself, but the Stonestown surprises me. It's unusual that a film would open in a first run theater 10 weeks into it's run!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #847 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
David-Elijah, that is nice news that DS will be opening in a first run theater.  Unfortunately, in the DC area, it looks like it will be gone completely tomorrow- at least no theaters come up on a search  [ghost_sad]

Altogether, DS will lose 64 theaters next week, and will still be screening in 239 theaters.  That's a bit better than the Wrath of Titans (thanks MB!)

theater counts from Box Office Mojo
http://boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2012&wk=28&p=.htm

DS made $44,755 yesterday, to keep it in 22nd place.  The total is now an annoying $76,993,032 (oh c'mon, just make another $7,000 already!  [ghost_wink] )

Wed. box office
http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-07-11&p=.htm

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #848 on: July 13, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »
Thursday Box Office was $48,230, up 8% from Wed. and finally putting the domestic total over $77M at $77,041,262.  DS retained its 22nd place position.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2012-07-12&p=.htm

I imagine there will be a noticeable drop in the coming week, due to the drop in theaters.  At this point, I don't think it can reach $78M, much less $80M.  Hopefully the foreign box office can chug along a little bit, so that perhaps DS could reach a quarter billion worldwide before all is said and done.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #849 on: July 13, 2012, 11:01:23 PM »
I've just heard the sad news that Richard Zanuck, one of the producers of the Dark Shadows film, passed away today at age 77.  It was said to be a heart attack.  RIP, Mr. Zanuck  [ghost_sad]

Huffington Post:
Richard Zanuck Dead: 'Jaws' Producer Dies At 77

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #850 on: July 14, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
Here is a statement by Tim Burton about Zanuck, from Deadline.com:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/tim-burton-dick-zanuck-death-long-time-producer/

And here are some other statements by Johnny and by other stars and collaborators (Johnny is on page 2):

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20120714/APA/1207140533

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »
I happened to be in NYC and saw the dealer of bootleg DVDs with a huge selection of current movies. I didn't see the DS movie, so I inquired. The guy told me that it was one of his most popular titles and he can't keep it in stock.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 15, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
yeah i saw it at a street fair last week here in ny...

i didn't pick it up because i've been burned by low quality bootlegs before. i can wait a few more weeks.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 15, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »
My friends bought me a bootleg of some cheesy horror movie. The picture quality was murky at best. It would have been watchable except thT it comes to an abrupt stop about 5 minutes before the end.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #854 on: July 15, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
^^^ Yikes, that's a bad time for a horror film to cut off, even if it's a cheesy one! 

I don't usually deal with bootlegs of movies, though I will confess to having some music bootlegs.  I wonder if part of the reason DS is such a popular title is because of all the fans of the OS who declined to see it in theaters.  But I still hope it might mean that there will also be a good market for the real DVD/blu-ray when it comes out, too!