Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350426 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1140 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
This might be the most attention that Hooksett, New Hampshire has ever received.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 24, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
No kidding!  [ghost_grin]

105 days 10 hours 31 minutes 59 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
It's funny because when I was told, in the 77, that DS was not offered for syndication any longer after WLVI 56 ended its run, a station out of NH had its listings in our TV Guide. I believe it was Channel 9 that ran DS in 78. I was never able to really watch and episode. The reception was on the outer fringes on the best of days. The closest I ever came to really seeing an episode came in August of '78. I was able to get a very, very fuzzy picture that came and went, along with audio that did the same. If it had not been one of the eps I'd seen before I'd never have been able to follow. It was the one in which Joshua confronts Barnabas about his condition. I had to literally stand in front of the TV, holding a portable set of rabbit ears.  So, flash forward 34 years, perhaps even to the day, and the Manchester area is again showing DS in theaters, even though it's supposedly not available! 

David

« Reply #1143 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »
there are two theaters in Hooksett, DS is at the smaller, 8 screen theater, which is showing films that are, for the most part, older. I suspect this may be a second run discount house.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 24, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
I suspect you're right, David, because if one checks the ticket prices on Fandango, they're $3.50.  [ghost_wink]

And what's interesting is that we know that DS is going into at least its 4th week in Hooksett because Uncle Roger first found it playing there on August 5th.

(And yes, The Doctor and K9 - DS was definitely playing at 4:30 in the afternoon on WMUR Channel 9 out of Manchester, NH in '77-'78.)

105 days 11 hours 40 minutes 38 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 25, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
Well, once the MaxiSaver cut it down from 4 showings a day to 2 last week, I figured that would be the final week.  However, it's still listed for 1 evening (9:20) showing every day this week, which makes it the 9th week.  I'm really amazed.  I suspect that will be it.
Josette

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 25, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
digressing back to the topic of DS "purists"...

what's funny is that over on FB where alot of the more heated conversations over the film initially took place, and even a few silly deppshadows "hate groups" popped up, tons of people who post in the various forums there are now using images from the film as their avatars. every day people pop up in my "people you make know" box with a picture of johnny or eva or michelle...

true they're probably not the same people who objected to the film in the first place but it's definitely part of our "vocabulary" so to speak.

to me it's definitely more evocative, even with all the storyline changes, to the OS than the 1991 series in it's tone and sensibility. it's trippiness and strangeness recall that more than the florid and over-earnest soap-opera-ish-ness of the later series.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »
tons of people who post in the various forums there are now using images from the film as their avatars.

That IS very interesting, michael c - thanks for sharing.  [ghost_smiley]

However, it's still listed for 1 evening (9:20) showing every day this week, which makes it the 9th week.

And that's also very interesting. Thanks for sharing, Josette.  [ghost_smiley]

106 days 12 hours 4 minutes 40 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
The other segments will probably follow next week - but next week's schedule hasn't been released yet.

The schedule has been released, and ES.TV will indeed be reshowing Jonny Lee Miller (and Jackie Earle Haley) on Monday, Johnny Depp on Tuesday, and Helena Bonham Carter on Thursday.

Hopefully they'll reshow all these segments again once the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out in October.

107 days 11 hours 2 minutes 14 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
Hmmm - while just going through previous captures/set ups/fill ins on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Blackmailing Liz-Intro to Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Intro to Julia" board for Ep #284, I came across this set up:

Episode #0284

and this fill in:

Re: Episode #0284

Suddenly makes me wonder if Seth Grahame-Smith actually read any of our game boards to get any ideas for the DS film?  [b003]

107 days 12 hours 19 minutes 42 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 27, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Also, on the off chance that Amazon (or some other site) doesn't eventually list the extras for the individual releases and it turns out that there could also be a Blu-ray only release, be very careful of buying it sight unseen or even if you see it in a store because there was a big brouhaha with Warner Brother's Blu-ray only release of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Stickers on that release indicated that it contained a Maximum Movie Mode feature hosted by Robert Downey Jr., whereas no such feature is on that version of the Blu-ray - it only appears on the Blu-ray/DVD Combo release. So, who knows if a Blu-ray only release of DS may be similarly lacking when it comes to some of the Blu-ray/DVD Combo's extras?  [ghost_rolleyes]

I was just over on Amazon's Web site, and what should come up in my recommendations but a Blu-ray only version of the DS film. (Though why they would think I'd also be interested in that when I've already ordered the Blu-ray/DVD Combo is a bit of a mystery? But then, I suspect DS related items come up simply because they are DS related and regardless of what you've already ordered.)

Dark Shadows (Movie Only + UltraViolet) [Blu-ray]

And as I suspected, people wanting all the Blu-ray extras shouldn't order it because, like the Blu-ray only of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, the DS Blu-ray only release only contains the same extras that are on the DVD. None of the Blu-ray extras specific to the DVD/Blu-ray Combo release are included. And even if you happen to see the Blu-ray only release in stores with stickers that say otherwise, it would best to ignore them. Though given how WB Video was burned when that happened with the SH:AGoS Blu-ray only release, one would suspect they shouldn't make that mistake again.  [ghost_nowink]  Plus, the packaging for the DVD and the Blu-ray only releases are extremely similar, so it's a good way to remember that their contents are similar and to avoid them if you're looking for the full set of Blu-ray extras.

108 days 10 hours 36 minutes 0 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 28, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, MB!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
And yet another batch of captures/set ups have been posted on the film's "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)" board.

109 days 17 hours 6 minutes 22 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 29, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »
I was just glancing through the flyers from the Sunday newspaper and noticed that Best Buy is offering an exclusive additional 30 minutes of content when people buy their version of the DVD/Blu-ray Combo release of Battleship. That got me wondering if Best Buy or Target (which also offers exclusive additional content from time to time) might do the same with the DS film? So, of course, I went to their Web sites to see what their listing for DS are like. Target gives the exact same info as Amazon. And Best Buy has the exact same info for the DVD/Blu-ray Combo. However, there is something odd about their listing for the DVD because it says it's 2 discs, while everyone else says it's only 1. And while it's more likely to see exclusive additional content only with Blu-ray releases, I have seen Best Buy offer such extras only with the DVD release, so it might be possible that something is afoot. However, at this point I'm more inclined to believe it's a misprint so far as the listing goes and we shouldn't probably get any hopes up. But at the same time, it's also something worth keeping an eye on...

110 days 16 hours 56 minutes 58 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #1154 on: August 30, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
I want a sequel, damnit!
Hugh Jackman as Quentin!
Meryl Streep as Magda!