Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350514 times)

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1170 on: September 04, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »
Should the film hold out for about a week-and-a-half, it will have played in theaters for a third of a year.  Yeah, that makes it a dud.  Right.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
Hmmm - perhaps something weird was going on with a previous update on my computer to Adobe Flash because the latest update was installed on my computer the other day and now when I go to the official site for the DS film, the pages that I thought were removed are back. Well, either it was the Adobe Flash installation or they put the pages back for some reason. But I suspect it's more the former than the latter because why would WB remove the pages only to put them back?  [ghost_huh]

But anyway, the point of this post is that apparently something odd is indeed going on with the release of the DS film in Venezuela. Now that I have access to all the pages on the official site again, I was able to access the Global Release Dates page - and the release date for Venezuela is still listed as August 17th even though we know the film never did open there then. But the big tipoff is that now when you click the Facebook link for Venezuela, instead of being taken to the Facebook page that I was taken to a few months back that was specifically for DS in Venezuela, you're taken to a generic Facebook page for WB Pictures Latin America. And DS is heavily represented there (and at some point I need to go back to see everything), but with just a quick glance, while I did see indications there that DS was supposed to come out in Venezuela on August 17th, I didn't see anything saying the date had changed or that it wasn't coming out there at all. Who knows? [ghost_undecided]

116 days 15 hours 25 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

27 days 8 hours 34 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »
Odd thing is I read a post on the Internet from someone in Venezuela.  He said he would not be seeing Dark Shadows when it came out, because it was "evil" and its title was symbolic of "Satan."  If it didn't have that title, he would have seen it, as he is a big fan of Tim Burton, but the title was a turn-off of sorts.   [ghost_huh]

I know virtually nothing about South American countries and customs, but I wonder how many people have similar views.  It can't be too many in the other countries, as the film seems to have done well in many of them. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2012, 01:27:23 AM »
DS has been known as Sombras Tenebrosas in several South American countries since the show was shown in them as far back as in the '70s (and I believe Frid even lived in Argentina for a time because the show was so popular there back then). It seems odd that someone would suddenly find the title satanic.  [ghost_huh]  But who knows? There are all sorts of people with all sorts of superstitions and what may seem to us to be strange ideas.

But be that as it may, a short while ago and completely by accident I stumbled upon the official Latin American site for DS/Sombras Tenebrosas and I discovered that now the film is supposedly going to be released in Venezuela this coming Friday, September 7th. I suppose we'll see.  [ghost_wink]

116 days 20 hours 27 minutes 23 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

27 days 3 hours 32 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »
Yes, I thought it was very strange, because I knew Sombras Tenebrosas had long been known throughout the region.  This individual is of a younger set, though.  So perhaps he hadn't been exposed to the original?  And perhaps he speaks Portuguese or another tongue and the name does not translate well in that language.  I'm not certain, but I found it fascinating that someone would disregard something based on its title alone, without even giving a thought to its content.  The same person said that he thought it looked "funny."  So I was quite confused.  Just one of those things you have to chalk up to culture, though! 

Nonetheless, I am glad it is finally getting a release!   [ghost_grin] 

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2012, 06:57:16 AM »
There could be some groups or individuals who feel that way; it doesn't mean it's the predominant viewpoint.  I'm sure I've read people here who said their parents didn't want them to watch the original because it was satanic or something along those lines.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
After having pretty much exhausted the potential captures I've already posted that can also be used for the games boards for the DS film, I've turned my attention to the various pre-release featurettes because they seem to contain a wealth of material worth mining for those boards. However, something I came across in the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp: A Collaboration Through The Years featurette has me a bit puzzled as it's a brief snippet (that appears at the 2:12 point in the featurette) from a scene that I don't remember being in the film. It would have had to take place in the Grand Foyer before the mirror ball falls as not only are Carolyn, Liz, Barnabas, and Vicki wearing the same clothes, but Vicki is in the same position near the stairs. But what has me puzzled is that I don't remember Barnabas and Liz conversing before the mirror ball fell or him saying to her "Indeed" with the expressions on his face that he has:

Nor do I remember ever noticing that there was a second floor balcony overlooking the Grand Foyer, much less that Carolyn was standing on it. And I know I've said that once I watch the film again on Blu-ray, I'm sure I'll notice things I didn't see the first two times around - but I wasn't talking about things like completely missing characters in scenes. But perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me and the snippet from the scene really is in the film and I really have completely forgotten it. Or perhaps it is a snippet from a scene that wasn't even in the film. Anyone have an opinion as to which it might be?

117 days 12 hours 26 minutes 34 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

26 days 11 hours 37 minutes 26 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »
this was immediately after roger left in the taxi...

david was standing in the door with tears as liz, barnabas and vicki looked on.

right after this the disco ball drops, barnabas catches fire and is doused with the mop bucket as the gang looks on in shock. as i recall carolyn witnessed this from the upstairs overlook.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »
also i believe this balcony/overlook is where vicki witnessed josette's ghost falling from the chandelier.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
this was immediately after roger left in the taxi...

david was standing in the door with tears as liz, barnabas and vicki looked on.

Ah, OK. And that explains the expression on Liz' face, too. And now with the scene put in perspective, I think I may know why I didn't recognize it. It's because both times I saw the film, after Roger left I turned to the friend sitting next to me and remarked that I thought it was much more effective with all the stuff with Roger apologizing to David and saying he should have been a better father being cut because Roger comes off as a selfish bastard who would choose money over his son, and that pretty much sums up the Roger we knew during the '66 storyline on the original And if while we were talking about that, it was the only long shot of Carolyn up on the balcony, that may be why I never noticed that she was up there.

also i believe this balcony/overlook is where vicki witnessed josette's ghost falling from the chandelier.

That would make sense, too. And if that is the case, how interesting that she was standing up above Josette's portrait while all that was taking place.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.  [ghost_smiley]  Apparently I have a lot to look forward to noticing when I watch the film by myself for the very first time.  [ghost_wink]

117 days 15 hours 25 minutes 46 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!
26 days 8 hours 34 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 06, 2012, 02:44:45 AM »
There could be some groups or individuals who feel that way; it doesn't mean it's the predominant viewpoint.  I'm sure I've read people here who said their parents didn't want them to watch the original because it was satanic or something along those lines.

That was the odd thing, though.  He said that the title was Satanic, not the content.   [ghost_sad]  And I was trying to figure out why...  haha

And, yes, that is definitely from the scene where Roger departs, though we know a good chunk of that scene was cut. 

David

« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
 [ghost_sad]

The world feels empty and sad now that Depp Shadows is leaving theaters.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
But look at it this way: starting this Friday (hopefully) in Venezuela people will just be beginning to enjoy the film.  [ghost_smiley]

118 days 10 hours 36 minutes 29 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

25 days 13 hours 23 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

David

« Reply #1183 on: September 06, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
 [ghost_tongue]

I want it to play at the Imax up the street from me again.
AND I'M NOT EATING MY VEGGIES UNTIL IT DOES!!!!!!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 06, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
I fear for your health, then, because I suspect that's not about to happen.  [ghost_nowink]

118 days 11 hours 54 minutes 39 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

25 days 12 hours 5 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!