Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349244 times)

David

Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #870 on: July 19, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
 [ghost_smiley]
I saw the 7pm show at the Castro Theater Wednesday night. The one day engagement did well. Around 300 people, and they applauded at the end!!!!
the friend I saw it with loved it, it was her first time. She had avoided it because of that god-awful trailer. She said the film was nothing like the trailer.
Ya think?

That horrendous trailer may have affected the film's grosses.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 19, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
That horrendous trailer may have affected the film's grosses.

Seems quite likely that it's word of mouth making the film a steady performer late in its run.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 19, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
I still understand why Warner Brothers did what it did, but there's no doubt the trailers and the majority of the TV spots affected the film's grosses for its first weeks. That marketing campaign didn't do the film or the studio any favors.  [ghost_wacko]  And what's truly unfortunate is that a film's first couple of weeks tend to be when it brings in the lion's share of its gross.

69 days 11 hours 57 minutes 40 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #873 on: July 19, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »
They really could've done what many of us hoped/predicted they would, which would've been to release one "funny"/young trailer, and then another with a darker and more horror-oriented tone.  Then, those who liked either type of film would realize that there was more to the film than just what was being depicted in one type of trailer.  A couple of the clips that were available online later on did show the darker tone, but those weren't really shown as advertisements, and by then, it might've been too late to attract part of the audience, anyway.

Oh well :)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #874 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
boxoffice.com has most of the Wed. numbers up:

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2012-07-19

DS brought in $35,809 yesterday, which is WAY more than the $29,644 it made 3 Wednesdays ago. It continues to beat Battleship.  The domestic total is now $77,376,451.  It'll be interesting to see how many theaters it will lose next week; the theater counts usually go up Thursday evenings.  Since The Dark Knight Rises will have the 2nd-largest theater opening ever, that is bound to take a bite out of a lot of other films, but I don't know how much of an effect it will have on DS since DS is mainly in second-run theaters now.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Thank you, madscntst, for posting the box office numbers for Tuesday.  [ghost_smiley]  It was nice to see that DS is still doing well - and even nicer to see that it bested Wrath of the Titans' head-to-head 10th Tuesday's numbers by over $15,000. In fact, once DS brings in just another $12,500, it will have bested what Wrath of the Titans brought in for its entire Monday-Thursday period. And unless something radically bizarre happens with Wednesday's and today's numbers, DS is going to bring in much more $12,500 for those two days combined.  [ghost_smiley]

I haven't seen a change in the overseas number in the past week- it's still at $156,800,000.

I looked around on a few sites today and no one seems to have posted the foreign gross for DS for last week. Though Box Office Mojo did post some of the foreign charts today, and DS is included on many of the ones from Latin/South America, so perhaps the foreign number will show up eventually.

69 days 15 hours 43 minutes 18 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 19, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
Now that I see that while I was composing my previous post, madscntst had already posted Wednesday's numbers, it's definitely official that once again DS has bested Wrath of the Titans' Monday-Thursday numbers. In fact, DS has already brought in over $94,000 more than what Wrath of the Titans brought in for its entire 10th week - and it's looking good that DS will likely best it by over $120,000 once today's numbers are released and factored in.  [ghost_cool]

It'll be interesting to see how many theaters it will lose next week

For what it's worth, in its 11th week Wrath of the Titans went from 205 theaters to 150.

69 days 15 hours 56 minutes 14 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #877 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
Yikes, DS is actually *adding* more theaters next week- the count will go up by 173 to a total of 412!  Great news, though it still doesn't look like it will be playing in my area.  Not all the theater counts are up yet, but here is the table on box office mojo (DS is in the "expanding" category):

http://boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2012&wk=29&p=.htm

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 20, 2012, 12:31:05 AM »
Yikes, DS is actually *adding* more theaters next week- the count will go up by 173 to a total of 412!

Wow, that's really something!  I think we can officially say that the DS movie has "legs"!  Unfortunately, it's only showing at one distant theater in the Chicago area (that I can determine).  I'm wanting to go see it again!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 20, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »
I read an article that listed the top 50 weekend-opening films, stating what the weekend take was, along with the final tally.  Many of these films were just from a few years ago and the final take was around $330 million after they left the theaters, the same amount that DS-2012 has already made and it's still in theaters.  All these movies, making that much are touted as "successful," yet, there are those involved in the industry stating that DS-2012, making the same, if not more, was a "box office dud."  I'm wondering if there's some prejudice involved regarding what's considered a "hit" and a "dud."

Gerard

David

« Reply #880 on: July 20, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »
Based on what I saw at the Castro last night and more theaters picking it up next week, I'd say DS is on track to be the next cult film.
It'll make money for years at midnight screenings, cable airings and DVD sales. And maybe we will get more films or a new TV series.
 [ghost_grin]

David

« Reply #881 on: July 20, 2012, 01:24:47 AM »
Just checked Fandango. The UA Stonestown Twin is holding the film for a second week. 3 shows a day Sunday thru Thursday and 4 shows on Friday/Saturday. This is it's only SF location for now.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 20, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
Wow, that's really something!  I think we can officially say that the DS movie has "legs"!

The very likely reason that it expanded this week is because it's been doing so well during the past several weeks. And because it's expanded, it's broken away from the release pattern of Wrath of the Titans. In fact, it's broken away from the release patterns of all of WB's other films so far this year because none of them have expanded twice in these latter weeks of their runs.

Unfortunately, it's only showing at one distant theater in the Chicago area (that I can determine).  I'm wanting to go see it again!

No new theaters have been added in my area - but it's still showing four times a day at two of the theaters where it's been running for the past few weeks. And the fact that they haven't let it go yet or even reduced its showings probably means it's been doing well at them.

70 days 12 hours 2 minutes 16 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #883 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Even if DS is still doing pretty well, I'm pleasantly surprised that it added as many theaters as it did- I was hoping that best case scenario, it'd keep the theaters it had, but I guess I should've aimed higher  [ghost_wink]  I wonder where all these extra theaters are, though, since several of us haven't seen it being added near us.  Oh well!

Anyway, DS made $34,709 yesterday, which once again beats the total from 3 Thursdays ago (which was $32,608).  It's slightly down from Wed., but almost all the films did worse yesterday than Wed.  The domestic total is now $77,411,160.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
That's a really good question, madscntst.  Where is it picking up traction if not around us?  DS left my area two weeks ago, and I don't think it's coming back.  So I wonder what regions it is doing so well in!