Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349107 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #735 on: June 25, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
FYI The DS movie is up to $218,492,660 million worldwide (estimated) week ending June 24, 2012. http://www.rentrak.com/section/corporate/press_room/weekly_top_10_charts.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »
Doesn't look like that chart has factored in what DS made domestically over the weekend because the domestic amount is still the same. And it also looks like DS' foreign take during the week was something like $1.1 million because the total foreign take for the week was about $8 million (as it jumped from $135 million to $143 million) and the weekend foreign take was $6.9 million. It will definitely be interesting to see the individual foreign charts once Box Office Mojo posts them.  [ghost_wink]

And speaking of foreign box office, I was originally thinking that this past weekend's wave of openings in Latin and South America were the last for DS, but apparently I was wrong because the film doesn't open in Venezuela until August 17. Who knows why so much later than the rest of the world? But that could be another reason why it looks like the DVD/Blu-ray release may not be until October.

Thanks for posting the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

45 days 11 hours 29 minutes 51 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 25, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
I was looking around the Venezuelan FB page for DS and this video is included as part of their official videos:

Dark Shadows Bloopers (Johnny Depp Impression)

It's not actual bloopers - but it is funny.  [ghost_grin]

45 days 11 hours 57 minutes 15 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 25, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
Looking around on YouTube I discovered that the person who did the above video also reviewed the film (in fact, the above video is actually a part of the review):

Dark Shadows - Movie Review

The end of the review also includes some quite funny outakes from the supposed bloopers.  [ghost_cheesy]

45 days 12 hours 12 minutes 36 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
I see that according to the numbers just posted on boxoffice.com DS continues to outperform Wrath of the Titans by comparison because in its 7th weekend DS brought in $260,447 ($82,055 on Friday, $108,624 on Saturday, and $69,768 on Sunday). Though the numbers aren't up yet on Box Office Mojo, so we'll have to wait to see how the film ranked over the weekend.

45 days 15 hours 4 minutes 0 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #740 on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
I've been on vacation for the past week and didn't have too much time online, but it was great to check in here and keep up to date with all the latest news and box office, so thanks to all for all the updates!

Boxoffice.com now has the box office actuals through yesterday- I'm too lazy to add up the weekend results but it looks like DS made about $260K, and the domestic total is now $75,753,107.  (Edited to add- crossposted with you, MB- thanks for the exact total- I was close!)  They have the worldwide total at $219,353,107.  I was sad to return home to see it playing in only one theater in the whole DC region this week; it's a discount theater and I doubt I'll make it there this week at all, and I don't know if they'll keep it next week.  I'm glad I did get to see it 3x in theaters, but I'd be up for one more time if I can.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
crossposted with you, MB

No problem at all - especially when you shared info that I didn't.  [ghost_wink]

45 days 15 hours 10 minutes 29 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
As I mentioned last week, DS had reached a point where Box Office Mojo doesn't always number all the films on their charts. However, from what they are listing and what I've also been able to piece together from other sites, it looks like DS was probably in 20th place on both Saturday and Sunday, and then in 22nd place on Sunday, which ranks it 21st for the weekend overall. But also like last week, we probably won't know that for certain until Box Office Mojo posts their Weekly Chart on Friday.

Weekend Box Office

(And on the AL:VH front, it brought in $16,306,974, $193,026 less than the studio's estimate - but over $2 million more than what the so-called expert forecasters were initially predicting.  [ghost_wink]  Though as the weekend progressed, it made less every day (whereas Saturday is normally the day films bring in the most), so that may not be a good sign.)

45 days 19 hours 39 minutes 25 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:25 AM »
Now we even have the Wall Street Journal referring to the DS movie as a bomb in a political article. I don't think I will ever get used to this misrepresentation. The numbers as MB and the others have presented  here don't indicate the movie bombed. A major disappointment yes but not a disaster. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304870304577488774200644182.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
Oh, gee!  [ghost_rolleyes]  Including DS is bad enough because its box office performance has been nothing on the scale of disappointment as either John Carter or Battleship, but who knows why they've also included The Dictator because it was never expected to make a ton of money and is actually performing only slightly below what was predicted. But then I supposed they think that every Sacha Baron Cohen film has to perform as well as Borat or else it's a bomb. After all, the chief reason DS is being called a bomb and a dud and a flop is because it hasn't made as much as some of Depp's and/or Burton's other films have, so I suppose Sacha Baron Cohen is just getting the same treatment regardless of the facts involved.  [ghost_sad]

45 days 20 hours 9 minutes 6 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:56 AM »
I may be naive but I expected a more accurate description for the DS movie from the reputable WSJ. MB you are right it should not have been grouped with the others. Even though the article was posted in the publication's Opinion section, WSJ should know that there is a huge difference between a movie disappointing than saying on the record that the movie bombed especially in light of its impressive worldwide gross totals to date. I would be more accepting of this from a blogger. Again I may be just naive.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:32 AM »
as a group we've spent the better part of forty years being the underdogs of fandom...

perhaps it's just our destiny. now "bomb" can join "campy" and "bloopers" as part of our legacy.

it's unfortunate, because to me it seems like the film did relatively well and the description is hardly accurate, but i'm not going to get upset or defensive about it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:45 AM »
I'm with you, Michael. 

The only thing that really upsets me about that article is the fact that I have to pay to read the rest. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 26, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
It's probably not naive to be surprised that some newspaper opinion pieces might use standards more appropriate for an Internet blog because there was a time not too long ago that most never would have dreamed of doing so because they held themselves up to a higher journalistic standard. And I don't know it the program is available across the entire country, but my local PBS station carries a program entitled Beat The Press (hosted by Emily Rooney, the daughter of the late Andy Rooney), which features a roundtable discussion scrutinizing (and also celebrating) all manner of news media (newspapers, local TV news, cable news, radio news, etc...), and they often take newspapers to task for their reporters behaving more like bloggers than professional journalists who should be holding themselves to a higher standard. But they also concede that in this day and age newspapers are fighting for their lives because of competition from the Internet, so rightly or wrongly, some newspapers which wouldn't have ever gone that route are having certain reporters begin to lower their standards to operate like bloggers in order to attract readership. It's just the new reality in a media fighting for survival.

And as for the "bomb" word being bandied about, well, like I said a few weeks ago, seeing it is really nothing new for fandom because NoDS has been described as a "bomb" more times than I can even begin to remember - yet it was not a bomb because it made money. But once that impression gets out in the world, it takes on a life of its own regardless of whether it's based on real facts or not. Again, just look at how many times The Tourist continues to be described that way, with the latest example being just the other day. Sadly, the people doing the describing don't really even care if it's true or not because, as madscntst pointed out, all they actually care about is making bold statements in the hope of attracting as many people to their writing as possible.

46 days 11 hours 12 minutes 54 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 26, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
Monday's numbers for DS are in at boxoffice.com, and it brought in $34,538, which now brings its current domestic gross to $75,787,645. And once again, what DS brought in on Monday is not only pretty normal, it's one of the higher amounts brought in this year by a film in its 46th day and playing in about the same amount of theaters that DS currently is (it's actually more than $20,000 over what Wrath of the Titans brought in on its 46th day of release). And it's probably no surprise that once again I've prepared a list to compare DS to this year's other films in their 46th day of release. However, just as in past weeks I can't attach it just now because Monday's figures aren't in for all the films I want to include on the list - but it will be attached when I post the link to Box Office Mojo's chart after it becomes available.

46 days 15 hours 18 minutes 36 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!