Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350926 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1365 on: October 15, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
Again, as some have already noticed, I've posted another batch of new screen caps and set ups to the film's Complete this Phrase / Fill in the blank(s) board. And If you haven't already seen the film, again, beware of possible spoilers.  [hall2_wink]

157 days 15 hours 6 minutes 12 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 16, 2012, 04:30:23 AM »
When I was in my local Best Buy tonight, I was very happy to see a cardboard standup display filled with both DVDs and Blu-rays of the film. And I was also happy to see both prominently displayed in Target as well - both in the video section of the store as well as at the registers. Apparently displays like what both stores have are what's helping the film do so well in DVD/Blu-ray sales.  [hall2_cool]

157 days 23 hours 30 minutes 23 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

David

« Reply #1367 on: October 18, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »
 [candle_in_skull]

Depp Shadows gross in Venezuela has passed $1.3 million, but Box Office Mojo isn't updating the film's total worldwide gross, which must be over $250 million by now.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
And it's great to see that DS' grossed 31% more than it did the previous weekend even though this past weekend it was playing in 5 fewer theaters ($6,052 per theater, as opposed to the previous $4,140 per theater).  [hall2_cool]  It may have taken forever for the film to finally open in Venezuela, but it's doing quite well.  [hall2_wink]

Box Office Mojo isn't updating the film's total worldwide gross, which must be over $250 million by now.

At the rate they've been doing it, we may never see the foreign gross updated again. But I suspect DS' total worldwide gross surpassed $250 million before the film even opened in Venezuela.

And speaking of that country, thanks for posting the updates for there, David.  [hall2_smiley]

160 days 10 hours 26 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1369 on: October 18, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
I'm so glad it's doing so well in Venezuela.  Better late than never!   [hall2_smiley]

David

« Reply #1370 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
MB, were you able to read my Fangoria piece Why DS Matters?

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 19, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »
I watched the Blu Ray of this film today. I enjoyed the film a lot for the 3rd  time, the Blu Ray looks and sounds incredible. There are about 6 or 7 short features that shows different ways the film was made, all very enjoyable.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 19, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Well, we knew it had to happen sooner or later. Yes, DS has closed in Hooksett, NH!  [hall2_cry]

This week three films closed: DS (after at least 11 weeks), The Hunger Games (after probably a lot more than 11 weeks), and Bully (after only 1 week). They've been replaced by Dredd, Lawless, and To Rome With Love. (And as a side note, I noticed that Dredd opened in Venezuela on the same week that DS did, yet DS is beating it handily in that country because as of Box Office Mojo's latest report, DS had already grossed $1,366,662, whereas Dredd had only grossed $426,975.)

Of course, DS could still be playing in some theater(s) that we're completely unaware of - but because we have no idea if it is or not, I'm going to close down the running countdown in the header of every page. So, contrary to the "official" run of 98 days/14 weeks, we're going to say that:

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

because we know that to actually be true. And it would be nice to know how much DS has actually grossed domestically beyond the $79,727,149 "official" total (because in 9 additional weeks who knows how much more money it might have brought in - especially if it continued to play in several discount theaters and not just the one we knew of) - but I suspect we may never know that.  [hall2_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 20, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »
To hopefully help lift our spirits now that DS has closed in Hooksett, NH, another batch of new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board.  [hall2_smiley]  And by now we all know who has to careful and why.  [hall2_wink]

And in the No Matter How Many Times One May See Something Not Everything About It May Be Readily Picked Up Department, it wasn't until I was posting screen caps today that I noticed that Helena Bonham Carter is actually wearing a stethoscope in some of her interview clips for the film -

- or that she's sitting in Angie's Angel Bay Cannery office set.  [6184]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 22, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »
For the first week in its DVD/Blu-ray release, DS earned over 12 Million in sales ($6,396,492 for DVD; $5,824,262 for Blu-Ray). I think that is pretty good. http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php The charts are separate and are on the left side of webpage.

David

« Reply #1375 on: October 22, 2012, 04:19:18 AM »
 [candle_in_skull_2]

That's GREAT!
The film may not have done Avengers like biz, but it's without question a moneymaker.
I think we might just get a few more films.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
For the first week in its DVD/Blu-ray release, DS earned over 12 Million in sales ($6,396,492 for DVD; $5,824,262 for Blu-Ray). I think that is pretty good.

I would say the sales figures are fantastic! DS was by far the biggest DVD seller compared to the other DVDs released the same week. And it was second only to Cinderella when it came to Blu-ray sales, which was pretty much to be expected when something like that has a huge appeal to parents buying for their kids and adult Disney fans alike.

What I do find very interesting, though, is the amount of money they ascribe to each DVD/Blu-ray. They indicate that the DS DVD cost $14.95, which it was discounted to in many stores, but not all  - and the DS Blu-ray cost $23.26, a price I never saw in any stores as it was discounted to either $22.99 or $24.96 (well, that is when it came to the DVD/Blu-ray Combo - the Blu-ray alone was significantly cheaper, and who knows if they're even considering that). But then, the Web site does say that their figures are estimated based on various sources.

But at any rate, thanks so much for sharing the link, jimbo!  [hall2_smiley]  And let's hope DS continues to sell well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 23, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
I've suddenly started to see this ad on a few different entertainment Web sites today:

And that reminded me that the figures jimbo generously shared with us the other day don't include what the film is bringing in for On Demand as well as DVD/Blu-ray rentals. Granted, those figures are probably much smaller than the sales figures because it costs less to rent the film and/or watch it On Demand. But regardless, that's still additional money that the film is bringing in.  [hall2_wink]  Though it's probably also money that we may never hear anything about.  [hall2_undecided]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 23, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
And that reminded me that the figures jimbo generously shared with us the other day don't include what the film is bringing in for On Demand as well as DVD/Blu-ray rentals.

That makes me wonder:  do the sales figures include copies sold to the big rental companies like Netflix and Redbox?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 23, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
I would think only if they buy them from a retail store because retail store sales seem to be what's measured. But I'm presuming that in the vast majority of cases places like Netflix and Redbox get their inventories directly from the distributors because I once asked a manager of Blockbuster how their DVD/Blu-ray inventory was supplied to them, and she said it was supplied directly to Blockbuster and then sent out to its various locations.  [hall2_smiley]

(And as a side note, several of my friends who rent films rather than buy have complained that quite often the rental copy of a DVD/Blu-ray doesn't even contain all or even any of the extras, so that makes me presume that in a lot of cases rental companies get "rental only" copies from the distributors - and unless someone renting is aware of all the extras on the retail copies, they may not even be aware that what they'd gotten was a "rental only" copy.)