Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348840 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »
michael c I'm in agreement with your position.

Deadline has done an analysis of the disappointing DS box office and WB's marketing strategy. This could turn out to be a flop domestically. http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/dark-shadows-opens-with-550k-midnights/

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
I saw it with my family in a packed house Imax showing in Tulsa OK. We all loved it, and the audinace seemed to really enjoy it.
There were a few missteps and things that could've been doen better, but overall it was great fun. It kept some of the mood and spirit of the original but went in different directions with it, which I think worked. A remake should find new ground to explore out of the old material or there's no use in remaking it.
I thought the Maggie/Vicki merger was exciting, I gasped and nearly fell out of my chair over that one lol
I did think that the orphan background should've been kept, and it was odd that they didn't use the oprhan background or "Pop", but Vicki being dumped in an asylum did effect orphan her and made use of Maggie's history with Windcliff.
I thought the characters were used and developed pretty well. I think an extended directors cut could improve things.
Julia needed the most development, HBC was great but Julia just didn't get enough development. I never really felt her relationship with Barnabas and the "on her knees" moment was abrupt and distasteful as it happened too suddenly and made no impact on the plot. Neither Barnabas or Julia even reacted to the scene.
I thought Roger being such a scoundral worked to show him in comparison to Barnabas in their roles in the family. Roger failed as a father and brother, businessman, and Barnabas stepped up into those roles. We saw how much Liz and the kids needed him because Roger had failed them.
I thougth Angelique's china doll breaking apart at the end was really interesting, a unique way of showing her inhumanity. I did think that a little more vulnderability from Angelique would've improved things.
Carolyn's secret was a huge WTF that would've benefited from some foreshadowing, but it still brought some great moments to the movie, providing an explanation for CArolyn's angst and I LOVED how quickly Liz adjusted and accepted it. Werewolf or not Liz loved her child and I cheered when Liz carried Carolyn to safety with no hesitation. I think that some restored footage in a director's cut would really improve that.
Johnny Depp carried the movie beautifully, exploring Barnabas as a man out of time, an outsider trying to find his way, and really the rest of the cast all worked very well I thought.
The plot kept shocking me, with Barnabas being "out" to the family, then publicly exposed, Julia's death and resurrection, Laura, Carolyn, Collinwood burning, the movie's last half hour or so left me on my toes with no idea what was going to happen next.
I liked how the family all came togather with Barnabas against Angelique, and I enjoyed the irony that Angelique had created all her own enemies out of spite, and thus brought about her own destructon, very mytholoigal in scope.
Roll out the sequel!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2012, 04:55:49 PM »
vicki's arrival in collinsport by train is such an elemental part of the series lore it should have been goosebump-inducing. but since it was not really "her" but someone else it left me cold.

without the backstories or histories of either character "victoria" and "maggie" might as well have just been random names pulled out of a hat...or a wikipedia entry...it felt completely false to me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »
Based on it opening with only $16,472,458 - and with reviews far worse than those of DS (for what it's worth, which I still claims isn't much as far as I'm concerned, it garnered a 20% score on you know where), people declared The Tourist to be a bomb. And some people still insist it was a bomb even though, as I've pointed out numerous times, it went on to make money. So, I suspect it's probably much too early to signal DS' death knell just yet because many things have yet to play out. Though, of course, as I've also mentioned before, so much of the entertainment press is fixated solely on opening numbers, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that if it turns out that DS makes about $28 million for the weekend, there will be numerous articles declaring it a bomb. Though as with The Tourist, that will remain to be seen...

1 day 12 hours 1 minute 14 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »
The AMC Metreon here in San Francisco has it on Imax and two regular screens. The 600 seat Imax was half empty, (or half full). The two regular screens were packed.
The problem the film will face happens all the time these days: they spent too damn much money making it.
It will easily gross $100 million, which won't cover it's budget.
Likewise, Superman Returns (2006) is considered a flop, even though it grossed $300 million worldwide--they spent too damn much money to make it, which is idiotic.
When they learn to get these things done without pissing away so much cash, this problem will get resolved.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
Heavens only knows what the budget for DS actually even is. Variety reported a $125 million figure the other day - but today Deadline said $150-$175 million. Something is wrong about those reports somewhere...

1 day 12 hours 23 minutes 11 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »
at the 8:00pm friday new york showing i attended the theater was completely full.

in fact some late arrivers had to wander around trying to find vacant seats.

David

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
... My review will appear in SF's Bay Area Reporter this coming Thursday. I gave it a mainly positive review, though I did mention that ending.

I thought Depp, Green and Pfeiffer were superb. ...
...what Doc Julia "did" to Barnabas... Anyone else wanna weigh in on that one?
Now, who is Ray Shirley? Is it my imagination or is that a guy in drag?

[edited by admin: what was already posted nearly word for word in Reply #27]

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »
I didn't think it was too difficlut to understand Julia's motivation. It could've used more time, but the appeal for eternal life and beauty is easy to understand, and we did get a scene with Julia discussing her angst growing old. It was a shock in a good way, but I didn't think it came out of left field. Loved how we could see Julia growing fangs as Barnabas drained her, and that was a clear signal that Julia would be back.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
so julia and magtoria are now vampires and carolyn a werewolf for a sequel???

sounds like a mess. or like 1968 all over again.

i guess with 40 years of hindsight this story still falls prey to kitchen-sink storytelling.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
before i sound TOO critical perhaps i'll backtrack a bit...

for me the film was just bookended negatively. the "magtoria" compromise left me disengaged out of the gate. and the climax was so stupid it sort of ruined the rest of it for me.

but a large chunk of the middle portion of the film was, as i said, harmless entertainment. if it had started and ended differently i might have enjoyed it alot more.

i just couldn't get past those two story developments. [ghost_tongue]

David

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]
I meant the "other" thing Julia did to him!

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
My wife and I saw the movie last night.  She was not a fan of the original series when it aired the way that I was, and her first introduction (other than hearing me talk about it) was the revival series in 1991.  I say that because I think she enjoyed the movie more than I did, and when I pointed out a few tidbits here and there it really seemed to add to her appreciation for the movie. 

I freely admit that I WANTED to love this movie.  I think part of my problem with it is that it didn't live up to my admittedly overblown expectations.  I most certainly did not hate the movie, but I also didn't LOVE it. 

I certainly do not think that the movie played as a parody of the original series.  After all, any television show that has the audacity to use a photograph of Paul Stoddard in a coffin loses the right to be indignant about any perceived slights.  And I also did not think that the movie was anywhere near as comedic as was initially feared.  The commercials clearly were cut to make items appear more comedic than they really were.  I think a great example is when Barnabas caught fire.  I did not find that that scene played for laughs at all, and the aftermath with both David and Vicki was quite dramatic. 

I thought a lot of the movie did work.  I did not think that the Carolyn reveal was quite as "out of the blue" as others.  I think there were multiple subtle hints.  First, David's line about her at the breakfast table was clearly one of our first hints.  "She makes noises like a cat."  Second, I don't think the lingering shot of the painter installing a full moon when they were refurbishing Collinwood was an accident.  I personally enjoyed the Vicki/Maggie blending, and I was REALLY captivated by Josette - from the first appearance of her ghost with the crabs coming out of her mouth to the role she played in Maggie's life.  More on that in a bit. 

I was not as put off as many others about the reimagining of Julia.  I was not a card carrying member of the "Julia and Barnabas belong together" club, but I know a lot of fans wanted it.  I think Burton and company tried to give many fans something to like about this movie.  I have no qualms about having characters reinvented (look at Professor Stokes in House of Dark Shadows), and Julia's actions seemed pretty self consistent to me.  She was willing to manipulate people to get what she wanted, so she manipulated Barnabas' naivety through hypnosis, stringing him along about his cure (which was NOT a stretch) and any other means (which some found objectionable). 

Frankly, my biggest beef with the film was Angelique.  I suppose the first scenes were meant to show that she had fixated on Barnabas at an early age (clearly before they'd become sexually active), but the movie would have been much better if they'd developed her character AT ALL.  For me, Lara Parker's Angelique was at her scariest when she would be casting a spell with her wild eyes, and often having somebody else perform her bidding.  We never really got a hint of that.  The porcelain cracking of her facade was never explained or developed.  And if she was really interested in destroying the Collins family (which was her stated motivation), I'm not sure I get the 180 years of inaction between burying Barnabas and sending a werewolf to bite Carolyn in her crib.  Why fixate on Carolyn and David instead of Roger and Elizabeth?  That said, I thought the payoff of having all of her machinations work together to bring about her downfall (Carolyn, Laura and Barnabas) was kind of cool. 

I thought that there were quite a few nods to the original story that worked well.  I LOVED Carolyn appearing on stage before Alice Cooper's "Ballad of Dwight Fry" to ask "Mommy, where's Daddy? He's been gone for so long, do you think he'll ever come home?" and the look on Liz' face as she hears that.  I also liked what they did with Laura, although as others have pointed out she's kind of a hybrid phoenix/banshee (phoenshee? banix?).  And the aforementioned Maggie Evans. 

There has been much made of whether Burton and Depp were true "fans" of the series.  I feel like they did something with this movie that I always secretly hoped for, and since I'm roughly the same age as Depp I completely understand.  I always found Barnabas to be a sympathetic character who simply wanted to be with his true love.  In many ways, what I loved about the series died when Josette "released" Barnabas during the Leviathan storyline.  Despite two chances at revisiting this (HoDS and the 1991 revival series), Dan Curtis never gave Barnabas always left Barnabas one step away from reuniting with Josette.  To me, this movie finally provided that.  I absolutely LOVED the way they showed Josette driving Maggie back to reunite with Barnabas, and for the first time ever Barnabas gets his "happy" ending.  That said, I wished the movie had some kind of epilogue.  The last we see of Liz and the kids is them looking at a burning Collinwood.  What becomes of Barnabas and Josette?  Oh, and what about Roger, who's COMPLETELY wasted in this movie? 

In retrospect, this was a no-win situation for Burton.  This movie already looks like he tried to cram in more than he should have, and I've already seen people lamenting the absence of other characters.  In all, I'm happy I saw it, and happy that it got made, but I think it was just OK. 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
Perhaps Angelique had already messed with Roger and Elizabeth. Maybe she had something to do with the absence of Paul Stoddard. Maybe she did stuff to encourage Roger's unscrupulous nature. Doing nasty things to David and Carolyn would have been a double edged sword to loving parents. Too bad that only Elizabeth actually seemed to love her child.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
I loved the Magtoria reveal. I knew that Vicki would be the love intrest and had no expectation of Maggie being in the movie at all, and since Vicki already would have elements of Maggie with her being the look alike of Josette, that really really worked for me.
I do wish that Laura had been more of a fire creature, but that's a small thing.
Liz did tell Barnabas that the family had been cursed by supernatural creatures and tragedy for many generations, so I took that as Angelique's ongoing vendetta with the Collins family. Angelique did kill Roger's wife and cursed Liz's daughter, who knows what else she did to them. Probably introduced Paul Stoddard to the Leviathans.  Also, Angelique obviously took delight in the declining fortunes of the Collins family, striking at them any harder would've ended her fun. I saw her as a vicious cat toying with a mouse in that regard.
I thought there were interesting things done with Roger, that he was banging some anonymous girl in the coat check room and had David standing guard, and that Roger took the money and ran was interesting. The movie had a limited amount of time to devote to each character. Who knows, Roger may return for the sequel with his new wife Cassandra.
Julia's sex act does play out better if I look at it as her manipulating him. I prefer Julia here as being crafty and devious instead of pathetic.
LOVED Carolyn's Daddy moment and Liz's reaction. Little touches like that added so much to the movie and show that tptb there know and love the classic source material.