Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348835 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1485 on: January 09, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
As some have already noticed, another batch of 7 new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And the usual warning to be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film still prevails.  [snow_wink]

And as for this capture, I didn't even notice until today that there's something wrong with the way this shot of Collinwood is used in the scene when Vicki first arrives:

(Click here for a 1920X1080 version)

Check out the scene for yourself to see if you can tell what it is.  [snow_strange]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:27 AM »
Well, so far as DS clips on the People's Choice Awards go, they showed the infamous shot of Barnabas' reaction to Julia demonstrating doctor/patient confidentiality, Barnabas being chained in a coffin by Angie, and Barnabas' reaction to seeing The Carpenters on the TV. And that was all part of Depp's nomination. However, he lost out to Robert Downey, Jr.

But so far as DS goes, its category wasn't presented on the air, nor was the winner in the category referred to. So, we have to wait until whenever they put it up on the Web site to see which film won.

Also, Chloe Moretz was there presenting both Favorite Dramatic TV Actress and Actor.

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

David

« Reply #1487 on: January 10, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
 [snow_huh] [snow_rolleyes] [snow_cry] [snow_mad]

Oscar nominations announced. Nothing for DS, not even in technical categories.
I didn't  expect the film to get any acting nods, but come on: production design, cinematography?
nothing?
Frankenweenie got a nomination, for God's sake!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 16, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
And as has been the case with most Wednesdays lately, another batch of 7 new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. Be sure to be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.  [snow_wink]

And I'm honestly surprised no one seems to have picked up on a few things that either I've pointed out or have come up on their own on the forum in some other fashion recently.  :tsk:  ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 20, 2013, 08:54:37 PM »
I have a technical question about the pre-credits sequence for DS.  Was it filmed, or post-produced, using some special technique to make all of it, or at least certain scenes, look like an 18th century Gainsborough painting in motion?  I have only seen the complete film once and don't own it, so can't go back to re-watch.  I began to wonder this when the current run of captures began.  Particularly when Josette is on screen it looks more like an animated 1770s academy painting by Gainsborough or Joshua Reynolds than it does like film.  (I could be mistaken, but it seemed as if there were a couple of deleted scenes included in the mix of this series of captures--since I only sat through it the one time, though, I can't be sure about that.)

I'm quite intrigued by this process, whatever it is.  Makes me think back to a much more lo-fi tech (that at the time was quite extraordinary) where an animated version of the Dickens "Christmas Carol" was done based on the original Victorian steel engravings that were the illustrations.  It was an amazing bit of film although it only lasted, I think, about half an hour.  This would have been around 1973, I think.  There was talk of doing a Dorian Gray animation in the style of Aubrey Beardsley but it never happened.

It's surprising to me that Depp Shadows was not at least nominated for art direction, costumes, or other technical aspects.  The look of it was stunning, even when I disagreed with the choices that were made.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 21, 2013, 01:11:47 AM »
For Christmas, friends gave me a Walmart gift certificate (even though I hate Walmart, but - hey - whatchya gonna do?).  I'm going tomorrow to buy the DS-2012 DVD.  I should spend it on a new pair of shoes (since mine have holes in them), but sometimes you just have to splurge!  I'll use what's left over for tape for the shoes.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 22, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
I have a technical question about the pre-credits sequence for DS.  Was it filmed, or post-produced, using some special technique to make all of it, or at least certain scenes, look like an 18th century Gainsborough painting in motion?

There are several linked articles in this topic that explain how a lot of the visual effects were done for the film. But to save having to search for and then check out each one, what I can say is that it's my understanding that the actors were shot using whatever special lenses the cinematographer had decided on, then that footage was often blended with set or location footage, and then the final look was augmented with CGI. Examples of this would be the shot of Joshua and young Barnabas on the dock where -

-the actors were shot with green screen -

- then the outdoor set was shot -

- and then in post production CGI was added for the final look

And one thing that I really find fascinating is the whole look of Widows' Hill, which was -
- a combination of the actors -

- and post production CGI to create a fantastic look.
(Click on some of the images for larger versions.)

It's surprising to me that Depp Shadows was not at least nominated for art direction, costumes, or other technical aspects.  The look of it was stunning, even when I disagreed with the choices that were made.

Yeah, well, I wasn't too surprised that the Oscars went with Colleen Atwood's costumes for Snow White and the Huntsman rather than DS because her costumes for SWatH were much more elaborate. But when it comes to the other categories what can you say other than the Oscars are often very political and some of their nominations or lack thereof never make sense. I mean, just look at Ben Affleck - he's winning director honors left and right at many of the awards shows, yet he's not even nominated for an Oscar for directing Argo[snow_rolleyes]  And that's but one example from this year's nominations.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
For Christmas, friends gave me a Walmart gift certificate (even though I hate Walmart, but - hey - whatchya gonna do?).  I'm going tomorrow to buy the DS-2012 DVD.  I should spend it on a new pair of shoes (since mine have holes in them), but sometimes you just have to splurge!  I'll use what's left over for tape for the shoes.

It's good to see that you have your life priorities straight, Gerard!  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:08 AM »
It's well below zero here, MB, but I wear thick woolen socks!  At least it hasn't snowed, so my feet won't be wet.  Until then, DS is more important!  You know us fans!  I did put some plastic I cut from a milk carton into my shoes to cover the holes; necessity is the mother of invention!

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 23, 2013, 04:10:40 AM »
Hi MB, thanks for that very informative post.  I knew that lots of CGI, lenses, filters etc. were involved in what was seen on screen for the movie.  What I was wondering is if there's some new technique--I would guess that CGI must be the base for it--that superimposes painterly layers of quasi-animation over real actors.  I saw clips of how one version of this was done a few years ago in that version of Beowulf with Ray Winstone.  It wasnt until I started looking at your captures when the Depp Shadows slide show started at the beginning of this month that I realized just how extraordinary some of the processing of the shots was, certainly for the pre-credits prologue.  I'm not sure that this technique was used all that much in the rest of the movie.  I would think primarily in close-ups involving Depp to transform his physicality and make his look more a part of the pervading design of the art direction (ultimately, presumably, all pointing back to Tim's sketches and paintings).

You probably heard that some site called the Vulture Crew or some such as named Depp Shadows the 2nd worst movie of 2012.  I forget what won for worst movie.  It was something I had never heard of.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
You probably heard that some site called the Vulture Crew or some such as named Depp Shadows the 2nd worst movie of 2012.

Actually, no, I hadn't heard that. But then I don't even know what the Vulture Crew is, so... Though there are certainly plenty of sites on the Internet that make up all sorts of lists - some that even decide that some if not all of the films nominated for and even that win Oscars and other awards are the worst films of the year. And for the most part, even when I am aware of them, I don't pay them much attention. After all, anyone can create a site and make a list about anything - but all it does is reflect the site creator's opinion - just as I could make a site and declare the Depp/DS film the best film of 2012. Not that I actually believe it is. But then, I don't believe it's the 2nd worst film of 2012 either, so...

But getting back to the main topic, I don't *think* the same sort of technique that was used for Beowulf was employed with the DS film. At least I've never read or seen anything that indicates it was - and I've read all sorts of articles about the visual effects used for the film as well as seen all sorts of footage on the making of the film and the visual effects. I would think that if it was used, it might have come up somewhere. But who knows? Perhaps some sort of offshoot of the technique was used because several different offshoot techniques have been created since Beowulf was made. Though even at that, I haven't read or heard it mentioned.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 23, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »
To say that Depp Shadows was one of the worst films of the year is ludicrous.  The same goes for it being one of the best films, as you rightfully point out, MB. 

It might make more sense if the Vulture Crew had a slew of fans on its editorial board...  But, still... 

There's so much that is wonderful about it.  And so much that isn't.  It's one of those "in the middle films," in my opinion, as I believe that the mixed reviews are pretty spot-on.  I still can't help but wonder what the film might have looked like if it were pushed back to Fall 2012 instead.  Perhaps we'd get to see Angelique's aged body as opposed to just the cracking doll death scene...  That is something I would have loved. 

David

« Reply #1497 on: January 23, 2013, 07:48:13 AM »
I wonder if the relaunched Hammer Films would consider doing a DS movie if we wrote to them?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
It might make more sense if the Vulture Crew had a slew of fans on its editorial board...  But, still...

I suspect it might be more like they could have a slew of Burton haters. After all, there are hordes of them online.  [snow_rolleyes]

I still can't help but wonder what the film might have looked like if it were pushed back to Fall 2012 instead.  Perhaps we'd get to see Angelique's aged body as opposed to just the cracking doll death scene...

In all probability Angie's death wouldn't have turned out any differently had the film's release been delayed - and the only reason I say that is because, as explained in the "From Sketch to Screen" featurette, the whole cracking of her skin was a concept that Burton came up with on his own for the scene:

(Click here for a 1920X1080 version)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
That's a pretty cool drawing by Burton.  The DVD I got from Netflix had NO extras on it apart from some trailers.  blech.

This is the site I mentioned in my earlier post, for those curious to see what was said:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/the-10-worst-movies-of-2012-critics-poll.html

Best, G.