Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 351499 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
[ghost_huh]

DS does not appear in the Friday estimate listings at Box Office Mojo.

Box Office Mojo tends to add films over the course of the day. Though quite often when it comes to films at the point in their runs that DS is in, its a case that they don't show up until the full weekend estimates or even the actuals chart.

Even boxoffice.com, which breaks up their weekend estimates into three separate categories: films playing in 1000+ theaters, between 100-999, and between 1-99, doesn't have a full list yet. In fact, the 100-999 list, which is where DS should place, currently only has 1 of the 10 films that should ultimately be listed.

36 days 12 hours 32 minutes 0 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]
So far, DS is the most succesful Warner Bros film this year, though that will probably change when Dark Knight opens.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
Actually, DS is in third.  [ghost_smiley]  As of Thursday Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is in first with $103,617,522, and Wrath of the Titans is in second with $83,472,818. Though, of course, both of those are sequels with already established audiences. But DS is currently Warner Brothers highest grossing non-sequel film.  [ghost_wink]  And it will be interesting to see if that changes because I honestly haven't been paying attention enough to know what other non-sequels Warner Brothers might have coming up later this year.

36 days 12 hours 46 minutes 55 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »
we definitely didn't see david's room in the film. from the picture it looks like a cool set...

if i'm recalling we only saw bedrooms for victoria and carolyn. and i guess the room barnabas was using.

the collinwood set was huge and splashy but we didn't actually see too much of the house really. what did we see? the entrance/foyer/grand hall space with the stairwell. elizabeth's study. the dining room. julia's laboratory. the cavernous basement space where the jewelry/valuables were hidden. the labyrinthine upstairs hallways where vicki followed josette's ghost around...

is that it?

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #664 on: June 16, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
 [ghost_cool]

I just Facebook friended actor Gabriel Frielich, who played the blonde hippie in the film--he sat right next to Depp at the campfire. I'm going to try to get an interview with him for the film's DVD release.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 17, 2012, 02:39:35 AM »
And when one thinks about it, it's actually quite amazing that the position of his bangs stayed perfectly the same throughout the entire 1972 portion of the film. He must have discovered some great early-'70s hair product!  [ghost_grin]

Maybe Dippity-Do? That stuff could make your hair stiff as concrete!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 17, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »
Dippity-Do!  Now there's a blast from the past!  When did they stop making it?  I can just picture Barnabas trying it.  At least he would've just barely escaped "that greasy kid stuff."  And how would he have reacted when told, on the sorcery box in Carolyn's room to "take it off - take it all off?"

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 17, 2012, 03:36:15 AM »

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #668 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
Dippity-Do!  Now there's a blast from the past!  When did they stop making it?  I can just picture Barnabas trying it. 

There is/was also an alternative product  [ghost_wink]  A few years ago, on a promotional stop in Japan, someone presented Johnny with a gift- let's see if I can attach this photo (didn't work the first time)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 17, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
Both Box Office Mojo and boxoffice.com have added another $5 million to DS' foreign gross, bringing it up to $135 million so. But it's going to be very interesting to see how much in brings in next weekend once the film opens in Latin and South America.

Neither Web site is reporting anything for DS for the weekend, so I suppose we're going to have to wait until the actuals are released tomorrow afternoon.

37 days 17 hours 44 minutes 32 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 17, 2012, 10:59:36 PM »
A comprehensive behind the scenes.

Very nice article. Thanks so much for posting the link to it, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

37 days 17 hours 59 minutes 36 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #671 on: June 18, 2012, 04:45:27 AM »
We can add Rock of Ages and That's My Boy to the list of films DS did much better than. Surprised about Rock which was a big hit on Broadway, but DS' opening weekend did twice as well.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 18, 2012, 05:21:48 AM »
Yes those 2 movies are being described as "thuds". DS pulled in $2.7 Million internationally over the weekend at 2,900 screens in 50 markets which I think is a good number as it is playing at far less locations than the top movies. That brings the total international take at $135 million. It should do better when it opens in more markets later next week. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/foreign-box-office-madagascar-3-snow-white-huntsman-prometheus-rock-ages-338555

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 18, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »
The weekend numbers have finally been posted at boxoffice.com. DS brought in $189,061 on Friday, $254,576 on Saturday, and $179,751 on Sunday, which totaled gives it $623,388 for the entire weekend (which is more than I was anticipating), and that brings its current domestic gross to $75,156,016.  [ghost_cool]

Box Office Mojo hasn't posted their actuals chart, so we'll have to wait a bit longer to see where DS ranked for the weekend. But judging by the estimates chart it should be somewhere in the high teens.

38 days 15 hours 17 minutes 39 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 18, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
Very interesting - Box Office Mojo now has both their daily actuals and weekend actuals charts up for the weekend, and though DS placed 14th on Friday, 15th on Saturday, and 16th on Sunday, it came in at 14th for the overall weekend:

Daily Weekend Actuals

Weekend Actuals

38 days 15 hours 33 minutes 20 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!