Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 351556 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #540 on: June 05, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »
Looks like it will out of the theatre here this week as well. Two showings a day here, one at 2pm and one at 10pm. I went to the afternoon showing. Small crowd but not that unusual for a Gil that's been in release for a month. Overall, the audience was younger than at previous screenings. Except me, of course! $5.00 admission can't be beat.

This is my fourth time, enough to catch some bloopers. During the scene between Barnabas and Angelique in the drawing room, the lipstick on his face changes places and, at one point, disappears.
Angelique is wearing a pantsuit when she goes to the construction site but she's wearing a midiskirt and boots when she arrives at Collinwood.

Interesting to see Dan Curtis' daughters Cathy and Tracy listed as consultants.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #541 on: June 06, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »
Many theater listings are not updated until Wed. (sometimes even later). 

Try Fandango:
http://www.fandango.com
and put in your zip code or town.  You can also search by movie.

As of now, Tuesday evening, several theaters in my area are updated, but now only list one showing for DS.  In one, it appears to be gone.  In another, only Prometheus and Madagascar 3 (the new movies) are shown for now, and the showings for current films haven't yet been added.  Still, as I feared, I think DS will take a big hit this week, with the two aforementioned movies being huge movies taking over a lot of theater screens  [ghost_sad]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 06, 2012, 02:35:21 AM »
When it comes to theaters, no two films ever play out the same way. And a lot certainly depends on how many and what types of films are opening and are in need of theaters. But just for the fun of it, here's how two of Warner Brothers other most recent films have been playing out theaters-wise:

Wrath of the Titans The Lucky One
1st Day:
8th Day:
15th Day:
22nd Day:
29th Day:
36th Day:
43rd Day:
50th Day:
57th Day:
64th Day:

And 205 and 404 are the amount of theaters those two films are currently playing in. So, it will be interesting to see how DS plays out.

25 days 21 hours 35 minutes 21 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #543 on: June 06, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
Thanks MB, interesting.  We'll soon see what the total theater number is for next week, but in my area, since I posted yesterday, the theater that is second-closest to me (the one that I said had only so far posted Prometheus and Madagascar 3 showtimes) has now posted the rest of its showtimes, and surprisingly, they will still have 6 showings per day of DS.  My closest theater, as well as another local one, will have 1 showing per day (one noontime, one 9 p.m.), and in at least one other fairly close theater it will be gone.  Plus, as I mentioned before, at least one IMAX near me will have it through June 21.  So I have the full range!  [ghost_smiley]

David

« Reply #544 on: June 06, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »
I took a friend to see it for his birthday last night--really enjoyed it even more this time.
Depp, Green & Pfeiffer are awesome, and the visuals still take my breath away!

The film will still be around here next week, but tomorrow is the last night of DS in Imax locally, so I may take in one last Imax viewing while I can.

The Castro Theatre which played HODS and NODS in 2008, plans to show Depp Shadows in mid-summer. I'll probably see it there as well, just to see it in an old fashioned movie palace.
Do I need to get a life?

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #545 on: June 06, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Boxoffice.com has reported the Tuesday box office for DS at $458,130, which is a nice jump from yesterday (as is usually the case for Tuesdays).  The domestic total is now $71,543,234, which now surpasses Chocolat ($71,509,363) to become Johnny Depp's #10 film in terms of unadjusted domestic box office (not counting films in which he had cameos).  The film is also inching closer to that coveted $200 million worldwide mark!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the numbers, madscntst - and the update on where the film now ranks in Depp's body of work.  [ghost_smiley]

And speaking of rankings among a star's body of work, I was looking around Box Office Mojo earlier, and DS could quite possibly become Chloe Moretz' highest grossing film so far in her career. Currently that distinction goes to Hugo - but DS isn't all that far behind.

And speaking of Box office Mojo, they just put their chart up and DS was also ranked 9th on Tuesday:

Tuesday's Box Office

26 days 15 hours 44 minutes 22 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
I saw it today for the $5.00 Bargain Tuesday special.  6th time!

I'm jealous!  [ghost_wink]

The film will still be around here next week, but tomorrow is the last night of DS in Imax locally, so I may take in one last Imax viewing while I can.

The Castro Theatre which played HODS and NODS in 2008, plans to show Depp Shadows in mid-summer. I'll probably see it there as well, just to see it in an old fashioned movie palace.
Do I need to get a life?

Not at all!  [ghost_grin]  Of course many of us will watch it dozens of times once it comes out on Blu-ray/DVD - but when it comes to a film you like, there's still nothing like seeing it on the big screen - particularly an IMAX screen.  [ghost_cool]

26 days 15 hours 56 minutes 28 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #548 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
New Facebook group:
I Love Dark Shadows 2012: Where's the Sequel?  [ghost_smiley]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
The official site now lists DS for next week in several RI locations, including Middletown, the nearest major, mainstream movie theater to Newport, since the Opera House closed. I'm not going to bother rechecking Boston, Dallas, and other major cities. I'm sure it's still alive in them.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #550 on: June 07, 2012, 11:13:39 PM »
DS made $401,114 on Wednesday, to retain its 8th place spot. The domestic total is now $71,944,348.

However, as feared, it will take a huge hit on Friday in terms of theater counts, losing 1,452 theaters and keeping only 1,550.  This is at least partly to make room for Madagascar 3 and Prometheus, both of which are in wide release. 

You can find the Wed. box office and theater counts on

http://www.boxofficemojo.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
Thanks for posting the box office numbers and the theaters count, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

The amount of theaters for DS' 29th day in release will be pretty much in keeping with what Wrath of the Titans had at that point in its run - plus DS has held onto more theaters longer than Wrath of the Titans did, so it's not too much of a surprise that the time has come for it to lose a good amount of them - especially with those two films opening this coming weekend. And we should only be so lucky that DS might follow suit and stay in theaters as long as Wrath of the Titans seems to be staying.  [ghost_wink]  Though like Wrath of the Titans and The Lucky One, DS could likely see another significant drop in theaters for its 36th day in release on the 15th.

One slight correction, though - DS went back up to 8th place after being in 9th for two days.  [ghost_smiley]

Wednesday Box Office

27 days 18 hours 39 minutes 6 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #552 on: June 08, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
One slight correction, though - DS went back up to 8th place after being in 9th for two days.  [ghost_smiley]

Wednesday Box Office

Oops, my bad, somehow I forgot that it had dipped to 9th at all.  Well, all the better that it moved up!  [ghost_smiley]  Let's hope that it keeps 8th place today, as tomorrow, I'm afraid it'll be dipping out of the Top Ten (I want to see Prometheus, myself!)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 08, 2012, 02:54:55 AM »
Well, all the better that it moved up!  [ghost_smiley]

Exactly.  [ghost_wink]

27 days 21 hours 54 minutes 55 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 08, 2012, 05:12:40 AM »
I planned to see it ONE more time today before it left our area.  I went to the 12:30 show.  After it was over I had time to kill.  I decided to hit the final show in Harlingen, the 3:10.  That's a first for me, seeing the same movie twice in one day at a theater!  I need a life!  I admit that freely!