Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449400 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 08:01:44 PM »
Doesn't anyone hope for a fresh story?

I would like a fresh story, with flash back maybe. That way we won't have all the comparison that  get tiring. To many of us Jonathan is our Barnabas, if it wasn't for him we might not have this board. The show would have died an early death.

It is almost like, if you read the book don't go see the movie.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »
Actually, it's a fallacy (though but one of the many that have been purported over and over again) that DS would have certainly been canceled were it not for Barnabas' introduction. It's absolutely true that ABC gave DC six months to bring the ratings up or DS was in all probability going to be canceled. However, the ratings had actually improved so much by the time the first Laura storyline had gotten into full swing that ABC renewed DS then - before Barnabas was even hinted at on the show. (I believe this was even discussed/confirmed at last year's Fest.)

Now, of course Barnabas definitely brought DS a great deal of attention and huge ratings - but he didn't necessarily save the show from cancellation. If he had never appeared, well, who knows what the next storyline might have been, and who knows if DS would have gained the heights of popularity that it did with him on board? But the possibility does exist that DS may very well have continued for years to come. Perhaps even beyond April 2, 1971. Some of the soaps that were DS' contemporaries and which weren't as well rated back in the day as DS was do indeed survive to this day. And a Barnabas-less DS would have played out very differently - perhaps even without the frantic pacing that many cite as one of the show's downfalls. But we'll just never know...

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
This is welcome but surprising news.

As I posted to the JuliaList..i Understand from Matthew Hall that Sam wanted Johnny Depp (who would've been 28) fresh from 21 Jump Street for the '91 revival series.  Sam also wanted Iman as Angelique.  He's seen some of her stage work in LA and was quite impressed.  That would've been on HOT couple i say!

Cheers!
Julia99

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »
However, the ratings had actually improved so much by the time the first Laura storyline had gotten into full swing that ABC renewed DS then - before Barnabas was even hinted at on the show. (I believe this was even discussed/confirmed at last year's Fest.)

Thanks for this. Didn't  know it had been renewed before Barnabas. Haven't been to a fest.

Perhaps even beyond April 2, 1971. Some of the soaps that were DS' contemporaries and which weren't as well rated as DS was do indeed survive to this day. And a Barnabas-less DS would have played out very differently - perhaps even without the frantic pacing that many cite as one of the show's downfalls. But we'll just never know...

Perhaps if it hadn't reached such hights in the ratings. People might not have expected so much.  Most soaps had a storylines that went on a lot longer and covered the same period of time.  2 days in real time as in hours, might be 2 weeks in soap opera time.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »
With regards to Iman as Angelique--I think having a dark skinned actress of whatever background play the character would help make a genuine new departure in a new DS.  I liked Alec Newman as Barnabas precisely because he was physically different from Frid and carried himself in the role very differently which made it possible to look at the new telling of the story with genuinely fresh eyes.

It's all truly academic at this point because the whole thing could be put on a shelf for the next five years, or at least that's my impression given what I have read so far...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »
Hmmm...the best approach might be to film the 1795 storyline.  Of all the storylines, it has (arguably) the tightest structure, with a clear and focused beginning, middle, and end.  Because it ends with Barnabas being chained in his coffin, it would set the stage for a sequel set in present-day Collinwood.

Even more important, 1795 is the foundation of the Barnabas mythos -- his origin story -- and a retelling of that storyline would give newcomers insight into the character.

The more I think about this, the more I think you've hit on a brilliant idea, Claude. Barnabas' backstory has everything going for it: the supernatural, betrayal, revenge, and all enveloped in a sweeping and tragic love story. And there is precedent for focusing on 1795 because that's the story the '88 stage version of DS pared down and dramatized.

Now, if only we could get those involved with developing the film to consider going that route.  ;)

As for Tim Burton's potential involvement, I'm not so sure. I loved Sleepy Hallow, but so many of his other films are too quirky to be compatible with the DS universe. If Burton could reign much of his quirkiness in, perhaps.

And as for doubts about Depp, as I said earlier, I was quite skeptical about his ability to portray Barnabas until I saw him in From Hell. But after watching that film I posted:

I know people have been saying Depp could be an interesting Barnabas, but I never really saw it. However, now, after watching his performance in From Hell, I think I'd be thrilled if the unlikely event was ever to happen and he was cast in the role. You weren't exaggerating in the slightest, Rainey, when you said "THAT'S a tortured soul."

Depp definitely has the range to portray Barn in all his tortured glory.

Of course, I'd also posted back then that we should

Forget Tarantino and Burton - if there ever would be a new DS theatrical film, someone sign the Hugheses to direct, Peter Deming to be the director of photography, and Martin Childs as the production designer. In particular the look of From Hell is just incredible, especially the use of light and shadow. Any potential DS film would be lucky to look half as good. Their combined efforts make for what I only hope another DS film could be.

But I'm presuming nothing like that is likely to happen. Though maybe I shouldn't presume too easily. After all, back in 2005 I thought it was an "unlikely event" that Depp  would ever get the opportunity to play Barnabas.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
the whole thing could be put on a shelf for the next five years, or at least that's my impression given what I have read so far...

Well, we know for certain Depp definitely has one film already lined up. That's likely to mean that at the earliest he wouldn't be doing any DS project until about a year from now. But if he chooses to do the Alexander Litvinenko project before DS, who knows how long it might be? I suppose it's all going to depend on which project comes together first...

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 10:12:51 PM »
As for Tim Burton's potential involvement, I'm not so sure. I loved Sleepy Hallow, but so many of his other films are too quirky to be compatible with the DS universe. If Burton could reign much of his quirkiness in, perhaps.

I agree. I like Burton, but he's too heavy-handed. I'm afraid we'd end up with a film that was more about Tim Burton than it was about Dark Shadows.

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »
MB, thanks for reminding me about your earlier comments about From Hell.  I'll definitely have to have a look at that film at some point in the next few months.  I have to say that nothing in Depp's oeuvre that I have seen (and I admit that I've seen very few of his films) makes me think he'd have a hope in hell of conveying the depths I'd want to see in Barnabas... but, I haven't seen the Alan Moore film so...

I also agree about Tim Burton's nutty side probably working against the project.  I just think that if the movie happens, and Burton is available, he's practically a shoo-in for various reasons... not that I know anything about how the "Industry" works, you understand (and thank god I don't, for the sake of my digestion!).

cheers, G.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »
I'm not so worried about Burton or Depp, i think they have the chops. . the issue in my mind is (if they went Team Burton-Depp) who would Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs. Burton) portray.  I like her but she's Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd?  That one threw me .. i don't see that.  she'd be a good Aunt Abigail or maybe even Natalie duPres?
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »
Great news about the movie. I enjoy reading everyones comments about all things DS when I have the time...
I am excited to see what happens with this situation, not only with who they might cast but what the plot might be...

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 12:32:36 AM »
I've read about 50 different Web site reports about the film today, but not one of them has mentioned the dreaded "C" word until this one: Depp plumbs vampire depths

Oh, well - I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.  ::)  Though at least 1 out of 50 is great odds...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 02:32:26 AM »
Hmmm...the best approach might be to film the 1795 storyline.  Of all the storylines, it has (arguably) the tightest structure, with a clear and focused beginning, middle, and end.  Because it ends with Barnabas being chained in his coffin, it would set the stage for a sequel set in present-day Collinwood.

The more I think about this, the more I think you've hit on a brilliant idea, Claude. Barnabas' backstory has everything going for it: the supernatural, betrayal, revenge, and all enveloped in a sweeping and tragic love story.

I'm agree that a feature film set in 1795 (or 1797 or whatever year the writers decide for the new incarnation) that establsihes Barnabas' curse by Angelique (assuming Angelique is the witch [or other supernatural being] who curses him) would set the stage for any number of sequels, and eliminate the need to rehash the 60s stories.  On the down side, for fans, we might never see Quentin or Petofi or Julia....but we've already seen them.  Maybe it's time to let a new audience discover Barnabas and his "new" friends and family.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 03:50:40 AM »
I read this news in V ariety this morning. How fantastic.

I think Tim Burton could do a good job directing.  He allowed Depp to develop Edward Scissorhands into sweet perfection.   Depp apparently has a long time affinity for DS and I seem to recall reading that Tim Burton did as well.  They might have just enough reverence for DS' influence on their own lives to not even think about camping it all up. That's my hope, anyway.

This is very exciting news.

Nancy

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 04:17:35 AM »
Damn, is this topic ever popular! I wonder what it is.....?

I too am hoping for a fresh take on things. But honestly, we can't expect it to be too fresh. I mean, there's only so many ways you can tell the basic story of Barnabas without completely mucking it up in some fashion or another. Because personally, I would be heavily offended if whoever was writing this dropped everything that we hold dear about our Barny, and went with something completely new.

As for Burton, I love him. I think that the issue of him bringing his "sillyness" or whatever it was called to the project is largely dependant on the producers involved and the state of the script they are using. Because, if you think about it, the director only takes the script and portrays his or her vision of it onto the screen. Basically they interpret the thing. So as long as the script is written well, I don't think Burton will be able to infuse his signature style into it too much. I'd love to see him direct. I think he's one of the few out there who could do justice to this project.

I have no doubt that Depp can play this part. I've loved every movie I've seen him in, and I believe he can play anything he sets his mind to. I mean, I completely abhor the Pirates movies, save for Depp's Captain Jack. And to think, Depp has said that he modeled Sparrow off of Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. Man, that guy can act.

Speaking of the script, is there any information about who's writing the damn thing? I wonder if they've even commissioned a script of it at all?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran