Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447657 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1230 on: February 27, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
That was indeed a complete slam of a review. The writer waited a week after he saw it to write his review. You would think he would have calmed down a bit and have been more objective. I have seen the trailers but it also seems Disney may have a hard time marketing this film-is it designed for the younger market or adult market or both-the latter may be a hard thing to be successful with. I have a concern that parents will not bring their kids to see it if the word by mouth is that Burton has made this a scary type of movie (unless of course it is true)-or one that is for adults despite it being a Disney film. I am sure Disney didn't want this to be one of those "artistic" movies but one that would be fun for the entire family.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 27, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
In this article Depp clarifies his position on the Pirates 4 script and mentions that even Burton ran home from school to watch Dark Shadows and said this about the DS movie:

“We looked at ways to go, story-wise. We’ve started to come up with something interesting. If all goes well, I will jump into that toward the end of this year.”

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20100227-255744/Johnny-Depp-as-the-Mad-Hatter

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 27, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
I've only seen the two reviews so far, but neither would seem to indicate that Alice is too scary for kids. And Variety believes it "will pull wondrous early B.O. numbers." The only downside they see is that its long-term forecast could become clouded because of the imminent releases of other high-profile kid-friendly features...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 27, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
“We looked at ways to go, story-wise. We’ve started to come up with something interesting."

Talk about teasing us when we're starved for any actual tidbits of information concerning the storyline directions.  [snow_wink]

Although, and I could be reading more into that remark than Depp intended, but it seems to indicate that we won't be getting the same almost complete storyline retread that, oh, say, someone like DC would have most probably insisted upon. It seems like they're looking at ways to go in new directions. And so long as they keep within the spirit of DS, which would certainly seem to be their aim, that would be wonderful.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 27, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
I agree with your interpretation MB. They must be departing from John August's original script/storyline for whatever reason. I thought John's version was going to depart from the traditional DS storyline as it was. But Depp stated "we've started to come up..." meaning to me that they are preparing a new script based on this new storyline. Why are they teasing us so? jk

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1235 on: February 28, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
“We looked at ways to go, story-wise. "We’ve started to come up with something interesting. If all goes well, I will jump into that toward the end of this year.”

We haven't gotten so little over the last three years that I will take all I can get. Great to hear this! :) Thanks guys!  I have said this a thousand times I am not glad DC is dead.  However, after reading his hard headiness toward the DS pilot I am glad that he cannot interfer with this.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1236 on: March 01, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
On the Collinwood.net blog there is some new quotes from Johnny and Tim about DS. I don't think this has been posted.  They were on BBC's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and were talking DS!  They are funny talking about Fly bloopers! :) LOL Great to finally see more coming out about DS and the duo talking enthusiastically about the show!  

http://www.collinwood.net/news/
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 01, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »
I'm sure Burton was just joking, but heaven forbid: "We’re gonna fill the room with flies... and make the actors pretend that they’re not there!”

[eek]

They may be, but I haven't seen where Depp or Burton might be doing the US talk show circuit before Friday's opening of Alice.  [sadb]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1238 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:05 AM »
Hey there, a little late chiming in, but you can see most or all of the Jonathan Ross interview on the Accidental Sexiness site- it's in 2 parts:

http://www.accidentalsexiness.com/2010/02/27/johnny-depp-tim-burton-talk-alice-edward-and-more/

I was disappointed that Johnny didn't go on Letterman this time around (Conan is off the air and we're between Leno shows- I'm actually not missing Leno, to be honest  [snow_wink] )  But if he didn't do it before going to London for the Alice premiere, he's not going to  [snow_sad]  He arrived in Venice yesterday, and apparently started filming The Tourist already today.  Some paparazzi photos have showed up of the filming.  Johnny and Tim did do a couple of brief clips on Entertainment Tonight-type shows, and a couple more in London, but that may be it for now.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
Thanks so much for providing links to the videos. Depp and Burton are apparently quite funny when they get together. And actually seeing the video (as opposed to just reading the quotes) leaves little doubt that Burton was completely joking. But then, both of them were goofing on so many of the subjects that came up. And I love how Depp often does it with a totally straight face. [lghy]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
Helena Bonham Carter was aked if she will be in the new Dark Shadows movie. Interesting response(s).

http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b18347_exclusive_down_rabbit_hole_with_helena.html

PS Thanks to the other cousins for their posts here; articles and videos....

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
Considering that she seems to be in everything Burton does, it will be a surprise if she's not in it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1242 on: March 02, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
I would kind of be glad not to have her in DS.  She is fabulous actress but it's getting a bit repetitious for my taste!

Thanks for the link! :)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
OT: Depp and Burton on Friday Nights with Jonathan Ross (BBC America)
« Reply #1243 on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
This Friday night--the promo materials mention them discussing DS:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/377/guests.jsp

Other guests include Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sade.
Julia99

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 03, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
This is great news, J99, for DS fans who might have slow Internet connections (and are unable to watch/download the two videos online) but who have  BBC America on their cable. Now they can see the interview for themselves.

Thanks for the heads-up.  [snow_smiley]