Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449802 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #945 on: July 14, 2009, 05:24:10 AM »
MirandaD, if you refer to this thread's main topic on page 1, you'll see that Variety broke the news on Thursday, July 26.

The first link in the topic to a ComicCon article is in this post on page 5:
Lots of articles turning up on this subject. Take a look at the one below. Some inaccuracies but overall good.

Depp Sinks Teeth Into Classic Character

The above article is dated 7/29, and it states that the announcement was made at ComicCon by Warner's on Friday (7/27).

MirandaD

« Reply #946 on: July 14, 2009, 05:32:53 AM »
Thanks Midnite!  Right under my nose .. [ghost_cool]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 14, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »
MirandaD Comic Con does seem to be a good source of information. At the very minimum we should find out if TB is finished with Alice or if more work is required. We know Alice's endgame which is March so we know Tim will be done by then or months before that. Plus I am hoping that Tim will be asked about the DS movie. At least here is an opportunity to learn more information.

MirandaD

« Reply #948 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
jimbo, we can hope for good news from Comic Con!  By the way, John August was on twitter last night asking people their opinions on good gunfights.  Today on his website he said he is busy working on "Preacher" (for which he has to write a gunfight).  What that means for DS I have no idea, but there it is!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 14, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »
I have a question.  Maybe it's been answered here before and I missed it but why is there the assumption that Jim Pierson/Fest knows anything more about the movie than anyone else?  The rights were purchased from DCP.  Does that obligate Depp/Burton and company to keep JP and/or the DCP updated as to the progress of the movie or lack thereof?

Nancy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 14, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
It was reported somewhere along the way that Pierson would be a consultant on the film. Though you're probably right that even that doesn't mean that he's being kept in the loop about every development. The former DCP person who would most likely always be in the loop would be David Kennedy as he's a producer. But who knows whether Kennedy keeps Pierson informed?  [idontknow]

What that means for DS I have no idea, but there it is!

Maybe it means he's finally done tweaking the DS script.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
I don't doubt Jim will be involved with the project but communications in that industry are not any better than they are in any other setting which means inadequate in my experience.  That said, there is no reason to keep Jim in the loop until he is actually needed.  I don't think there is any obligation.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 14, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
I assume most people read "consultant" as someone who would be, at least as part of their job, involved in script ideas. But again, who knows? And we all know how dangerous it is to assume.  [ghost_grin]

At this point I don't honestly recall which report mentioned Pierson's involvement. Maybe someone else does and can point us to it. The actual wording might clarify things better.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 14, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
the word "consultant" like the word "producer" can mean a myraid of things depending on the person or entity assigning the title to someone.  In my experience, there is a consultant (more business and fact-oriented) and a "creative consultant" who does have the involvement you stated in your post.  I've been both and they can be very different things.  I've also been a producer and that title can also mean many things as well.  

nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 14, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
I found a reference to the report in this topic's reply #322. Unfortunately, though, the actual report is no longer up on MPI's site so all we seem to have left is the bit that Midnite quoted:

Don't ever underestimate Jim Pierson's resourcefullness to have his name placed somewhere. jk Actually he is certainly the man to critique the script.

I think that's a safe bet, jimbo, considering Pierson's ties to Producer David Kennedy.  And this is from the article "Johnny Depp to Portray the Angst-Ridden Vampire Barnabas Collins?" at http://mpimedia.com/wp/?p=19 --

Producer Jim Pierson of Dan Curtis Productions and MPI Media Group will serve as a consultant on the project.

But at any rate, whatever his involvement ultimately is, as I said here:
I don't envy the position that being a consultant on the film puts him.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 14, 2009, 09:32:16 PM »
It was reported somewhere along the way that Pierson would be a consultant on the film.

I think we all should be asked to be consultants on the film!  Who better to ask to evaluate and critique the perfect story, script and approach?  Heck, we could all agree to do it just for the popcorn.  But then considering how much popcorn costs in theaters now that would probably add a considerable amount to the movie's budget.

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
Here is my 2 cents on this issue if Jim Pierson is in the know on the developments of the Dark Shadows movie.

David Kennedy is in fact a producer of the movie. David Kennedy is representing DC's family's interests in this movie. Can we assume that Kennedy is keeping the family up to date on the movie's developments? I would think so. Can we assume also that the other producers of the movie are keeping Kennedy in the loop? That should be a given. Then the question is is Kennedy keeping JP in the loop? How could he not? In fact it may actually be reversed. JP may have more of a role in this movie project than Kennedy himself if JP is actually a fully active consultant and that Kennedy may have other professional commitments. In any event, I would say that it is more likely than less likely that JP is involved in this project and is kept in the loop by Kennedy and/or the other DS producers or its writer.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
I can't imagine the DC family being kept up to date.  When you buy the rights or license to a "product" or entity, the only reason any representative of said license holder would be kept updated is in relation to the completion of the project for which the license was purchased.  Maybe occasionally an update about where the project is if an inquiry is made.  

Even if we were to assume Jim Pierson knows where the project is at this stage, there are a multitude of reasons why he cannot share information on an ongoing basis.  There's no reason to be secretive for the heck of it.  Afterall, it's just a movie and not a plot to overthrow a government. [ghost_wink]

It's normal rather an abnormal to keep information about an ongoing project to a minimum until the last minute.  TV series do this all the time.

nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 14, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
Also, I hope for Jim's sake he has a substantial role in the new DS film if only because such work is how the man earns his living.  If he is not involved in a project, he doesn't earn any income.

Nancy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 14, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »
Nancy thanks for your input and insight. I also do hope that Jim does have a big role in the movie-is there a person more dedicated to Dark Shadows?