Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449639 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
dose anyone have a opion on what childstar should play david

I thought the kid actor from the 2004 DS pilot was very good. But that was over almost 4 years ago. I think the pool of actors that can play David is pretty big.

http://www.barnabasundead.com/shadowscast.htm

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
I don't know how many of you feel about the '04 DS show that never made it. For me the pictures that I have seen of the stars, I was pretty disappointed in the casting area with many of the characters that were chosen. I think that they should have been chosen to look sort of similar to the originals. It might have worked for someone that has never seen the original DS but for the fans of the original show I thought in my opinion that the cast sucked.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I don't know how many of you feel about the '04 DS show that never made it. For me the pictures that I have seen of the stars, I was pretty disappointed in the casting area with many of the characters that were chosen. I think that they should have been chosen to look sort of similar to the originals. It might have worked for someone that has never seen the original DS but for the fans of the original show I thought in my opinion that the cast sucked.

I can't speak for the casting, since I have only seen photos (and Blair Brown is the only cast member whose work I know), but I've read the teleplay and was very impressed with it.  Of course only those of you who actually saw the (sort-of) finished product at one the DS Fests can speak to the execution of that script.

Brian

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The 2004 DS pilot was heavily discussed here as you can imagine. You will find most if not all all of your answers at the WB 2004 Pilot topic thread when you do a search with that title. If the 2004 pilot made it to series, I don't think Depp would have had a chance to see his life long dream come true. Strange how things work out. The faster the DS movie is filmed the faster we could see the HODS and NODS on DVD and have the NODS fully restored.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
You're quite right, but I was hoping for the release of those DVDs next month at the DS fest as rumored. I hope.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I see that on John August's IMDB page there's a link to one of the many articles saying he's writing the script, but no one has added the Depp/DS film to his credits.

And on that same sort of subject, a June 2nd article at BeyondHollywood.com (Tim Burton Directing Depp in Dark Shadows?) wondered if WB might have rushed to issue a denial (as they did not that long ago when incorrect casting info was "leaked" regarding Spider-Man 4) because Peter Segal's info was wrong? Well, if WB are considering it, they're taking their sweet time - which is unlike them - and which would seem to lend credence to everything Segal let slip.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Foolish me for not noticing this one - the National Enquirer is reporting the story: JOHNNY DEPP DARK SHADOWS. So, it HAS to be true because they're never wrong. The National Enquirer and the New York Post (which has also reported it) are my entertainment bibles. ... Yeah, right!!  ::)  [lghy]

But getting back to seriousness, the article Burton And Depp Re-Vamp Dark Shadows on screamindemon.com claims "both the writer and director have been officially confirmed" - though they don't offer the slightest hint of by whom, which is hardly a professional way to make the claim.  :-\

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
how dare you question the credibility of the National Enquirer MB?  [ghost_angry]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I think that Danny Elfman will probably end up scoring the film, just because of the quad that he, Depp, Bonham-Cart and Burton usually make up when a film is being made. Elfman is usually Burton's go-to guy for music. But, I think it would do a great disservice, not to mention piss off many fans, if Elfman did not use the influence of Cobert's music underlaid on his new compositions. He shouldn't change the original theme--that's as timeless a piece of music as any I've heard--but if you own the DS Music Collection, you know well that there are many different ways that the theme can be played, especially beyond the four or five samples in the music collection. It would be a nice nod to the fans if Elfman created his own compositions, but for "true" fans of DS like us, we could pick out some of the original notes or something.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Oh good... the National Enquirer has reported the story... my mind is now at ease  [ghost_rolleyes]   [ghost_wink]  I suspect that the "official confirmation" is simply the IESB report that everyone has been citing.  But I agree that if it hasn't been denied by WB by now, that it's probably true. 

Speaking of Danny Elfman, though I love his work, I cringed a little at first at the prospect of him possibly being involved in DS, because somehow, I thought his music might be too fantasy-like to suit DS.  However, by pure coincidence, I was watching a film called A Simple Plan today (great film, by the way) and was surprised to see that Elfman did the score.  The music was really great- serious and haunting yet beautiful- and reminded me that his range of styles is probably much wider than I recall from the familiar Burton films.  I love Brandon's idea of him possibly jumping off from Colbert's themes.  Well, I guess we'll first have to see if he'll even be involved!  But you're right that I think there are only 2 times when a Burton film didn't have Danny's involvement: Ed Wood and Sweeney Todd (and the latter, of course, was already composed by Sondheim).

Cathy

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
yes alexander gould he,s on weeds now on showtime dose a good job and if they film soon is still young enough to play david. david henesy did a great job as david don,t recall him ever fubing his lines he was a better actor then some of the adults.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Actually, I don't envy the position that being a consultant on the film puts him. You've already expressed a doubt that many in fandom would share that Pierson might not want to deviate too much from the storyline that DC always seemed to want to do - and if the finished film adheres too much to that storyline, Pierson will get the lion's share of the blame because fans will just assume he fought for it. Whereas, if the finished film breaks new ground and goes into new directions, even if Pierson suggested many of those directions, he'll get little to no credit because fans will in all likelihood simply assume that the new participants like August, Burton and Depp brought their own fresh perspectives.  :-\

That is a good question MB. I hate to bring up the WB 2004 pilot but it seemed that producer Dan Curtis had absolutely no input on how the filmed pilot turned out. For example, it was alleged that director Hogan did not film scenes that were in the script and took liberties with the characters like Elizabeth making her a bubbly air head when the writer did not intend her character to act that way or so it appeared. Pierson could review the script, make some adjustments but clearly the director has final say and its what his interpretation of the script that seem to count the most. Pierson is in a no win scenario but I do hope they accept his input. On her another note I am beyond thrilled that the Enquirer confirmed the discussed leaked information as well as the NY Post. All we need now is the NY Daily News to get on board.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oh good... the National Enquirer has reported the story... my mind is now at ease  [ghost_rolleyes]   [ghost_wink]

Yes, I'm sure we're all breathing a sigh of relief now that they've reported it!  [ghost_cheesy]

I suspect that the "official confirmation" is simply the IESB report that everyone has been citing.

Actually, and it's probably my fault for not quoting the entire sentence from the article, but what screamindemon.com said was, "While both the writer and director have been officially confirmed outside of the interview [meaning IESB's interview with Peter Segal], Depp’s starring role hasn’t been", which certainly implies they received confirmation from some source other than IESB/Peter Segal - but they don't say or even hint who - which doesn't exactly make their claim as credible as they would probably like, even if it is true. Throwing it out there without citing anyone at all is worse that citing "unnamed sources."  ::)   

Speaking of Danny Elfman, though I love his work, I cringed a little at first at the prospect of him possibly being involved in DS, because somehow, I thought his music might be too fantasy-like to suit DS.  However, by pure coincidence, I was watching a film called A Simple Plan today (great film, by the way) and was surprised to see that Elfman did the score.  The music was really great- serious and haunting yet beautiful- and reminded me that his range of styles is probably much wider than I recall from the familiar Burton films.

I've probably seen several things that Elfman has scored, but I never watched them with DS in mind. If he signs on to do the Depp/DS film, I suppose I might revisit some of his films with an ear to DS.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I am beyond thrilled that the Enquirer confirmed the discussed leaked information

If only the Enquirer had published their story before screamindemon.com had put up theirs, I would have certainly assumed that screamindemon.com had been referring to the Enquirer as the source that had "officially confirmed" the news "outside of the interview."  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh my MB now that would really be scary. The N.Y. Times lists Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins. Wonder who they checked with to confirm this "fact". I mean the Times can never be wrong.

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/451864/Dark-Shadows/details