Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450276 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
I'm so excited that Sam Sarkar has spoken up about DS!  He is the head of development at Johnny's production company and seems to tell it straight.  I was a little surprised that he hedged a bit on whether Tim Burton would direct.  Maybe the deal's not set in stone yet and as an official spokesman, he can't say.  Nicki Finke of Deadline Hollywood Daily usually has good sources, and she says it's definitely Tim but that Tim's busy with Alice In Wonderland.  Hmm.   Alice will be released next March so I hope it won't be delayed that long.  The best part is that Sarkar hints that an announcement may come very soon.  Hopefully that will clear things up!

Having never seen a frame of the 2004 pilot, I'd absolutely love if they could include it as a DVD extra!

As for Oscar chances, I'd seriously doubt DS could be up for any of the major awards, but I could see it being nominated for things like set design, costume design, and makeup if it's worthy (and I sure hope it would be!!).  Maybe effects, too, though I am kind of hoping that it won't be an effects-heavy film. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 20, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
heath ledger only won for the dark knight because he died.

I can't agree with that.  I thought he was amazing.

the last time an actor won for a horror film was frederick march for dr jeckyl and mr hyde in 1932 !

Oscar Nominated Horror-Related Movies  The list is not as short as you might think.  The last best actor winner on the list, btw, is Anthony Hopkins for "The Silence of the Lambs."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #827 on: March 20, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »
I   can't   agree   with   that  either!   [easter_rolleyes] Heath  DESERVED  it   dead or alive.  I cried my eyes out when he and Kate both won!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #828 on: March 20, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
i agree that it was a great performance but so was his performance in brokeback mountain. they didnt give him an oscar for that. if he had not died i doubt he would have won for the dark knight.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #829 on: March 20, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
Well everyone is entitled to there opinon of course.  I love BM cause I am gay and it hit home but I thought that the JOKER performance was off the chain! We all have our ops though! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 20, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
I would have liked to have seen Heath Ledger in the projected DS film.

His performance as "The Joker" in Batman was incredible and he deserved the Oscar.  Ledger's performance in Brokeback Mountain was also amazing on many levels. 

Too bad he can't be considered for a role in the upcoming DS movie.

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 20, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »
Well, I thought Brokeback Mountain should have won for Best Picture too, so I don't think his loss is proof of your original statement that he "only won...because he died."

The LA Times had a poll recently asking which actor is most overdue for an Oscar.  The field was limited to 10, but last time I looked, Depp had garnered nearly half the votes.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 21, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »
This article says that the DS movie was originally scheuled to film this June which I don't think I was aware of (I am losing track of all of these timelines), then in August and now possibly in the fall with Burton needing more time for his Alice movie. I am beginning to lose patience with him but who would listen to me anyway. lol

The other articles posted here states that Warner Bros. had already booked some studio lots for the DS movie. Are they now going to be filming in the United States or were they referring to studio lots overseas? Just curious.

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/03/20/depp-and-burton-push-back-dark-shadows/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #833 on: March 21, 2009, 01:06:26 AM »
I saw the Cinematical article, and I think the mention of June was just a lazy guess from the reporter.  I think that Richard Zanuck was the first to say something concrete, and as I recall, he said "late summer".  Which is consistent with August, but not June.  I don't think I recall June being tossed around at all, and if I had, I think I would've been worried about it overlapping with The Rum Diary filming.   If filming starts in fall, that won't concern me because it's not really much different than "late summer."  But I took Nicki Finke's article as potentially a more open-ended delay (which I hope it won't be!!   [easter_grin]  )

All to say, it will be all the better if there is an official announcement very soon, as Sam Sarkar tells us there might be- any concrete news would be great, at this point!

I agree with all that's been said about Heath Ledger- he was a phenomenal actor and was transcendent in The Dark Knight, and amazing in Brokeback and so many other films.  Such a great loss to lose him so soon.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 21, 2009, 01:17:25 AM »
I just read two of the comments posted at the Cinematical article and its seems like they were overly harsh of the author-she is just the messenger. On the other hand maybe they do have a reason to be critical. I digress. I think Warner Bros is getting antsy and wants to cash in on the vampire craze asap so I don't think they are too happy about the movie's delay. Another guess of mine.

Regarding Heath it is true. What a great actor he was.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #835 on: March 21, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »
As much as I want the DS movie to come out. I don't want anything to be rushed.  I want them to take there time in every way to make sure it's done righ! [easter_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 21, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »
Exactly, Taeylor. If Burton is to be the director (which everything save a formal announcement points to), then I'm sure we all want him to be able to give his full attention to the Depp/DS film once production begins. I doubt anyone wants someone directing who has a split focus because in the back of his mind he's fretting over another project that he's simultaneously working on that has to meet a production deadline for release.

Honestly, I can't say that it comes as a surprise that Burton might need more time with AiW. Before production began I'd speculated here that it was probably going to take him much longer to complete the film than what subsequent reports had been saying up to now. That's not to say that I endorse Nikki Finke's report - I know absolutely nothing about the woman or her track record for reporting - but her report certainly seems plausible. But even if it turns out to be true, that doesn't necessarily mean the Depp/DS film's release would be delayed. That would all depend on how far back production gets pushed and how long is needed to complete the film for release. Some films are complete and ready for release months before their actual release dates - it's just that the studios have timed their releases for when they hope to get the most attention and the biggest returns.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 22, 2009, 02:38:38 AM »
Sam Sarkar's remarks are quickly appearing on dozens of Web sites. No surprise there - news like that quickly spreads like wildfire on the Internet. What might be a bit surprising is that Nikki Finke's report of a possible delay has only been mentioned on a handful of other sites. I don't know if that's a commentary on what others think of her reporting or not, but it's anecdotally interesting.

Two of the more interesting reports on the new sites are these:

ilovedepp.com - Dark Shadows

and

The Weekly Wrap-Up
(scroll down about halfway)

Neither is particularly thrilled with the idea of Burton directing and wouldn't mind seeing him drop out - though for differing reasons...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #838 on: March 22, 2009, 02:43:44 AM »
This is a bit off topic however, it's crazy that Johnny and JF are about the same age and look years apart. Johnny is holding up nicely and I am pretty sure he is a heavy smoker just like JF was then.  Nothing against smokers I used to but I had to quit because of asthma...I loved them.  However, I would have died.  It was hard....anyhow thanks for the articles...they are very interesting.

OT: If the movies end up being franchised then maybe Burton can set the tone and then the others be directed by other directors.  I think it's cool to have different visions, much like with the Harry Potter Franchise and Twillight.

ALSO: GOOD GOD that man is hot!  LOl

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 22, 2009, 05:42:06 AM »
This is a bit off topic however, it's crazy that Johnny and JF are about the same age and look years apart.

They are almost a decade apart in age, nine years to be exact.  Karlen was born in 1933 and Frid in 1924.