Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447674 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #915 on: June 23, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
I don't really fault Sam Sarkar for his comments (or for SG saying casting news would be forthcoming) because that was before the news came out that Burton felt he needed more time with Alice In Wonderland. The business with GK Films seems odd, however. But maybe they were simply hoping that even though Burton had expressed needing more time, he actually wouldn't?  [idontknow]  It's also interesting that supposedly they had already rented studio space for the sets. I wonder if they began work on the sets and have simply extended the rental agreement (which could be a costly option)? Or if they held off and will rent the space again at a later time? Or maybe if they did begin work, they've simply put what they'd done in storage at this point?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 23, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
I guess only Sam Sarker and GK Films know the answers. The business with GK Films is indeed interesting as that information was confirmed with a subsequent communication from myentertainmentworld to GK Films who insisted that the late summer shoot was correct. Is it possible said company did not want to wait any longer for TB and wanted a different director? That is unlikely but anything is possible.
MB I also read somewhere that WB had rented stage lots at Pinewood Studios for the fall shoot. You raise a good question as to what is happening with that aspect. I wonder what WB thoughts are on this apparent delay. I would think WB would want to cash in on the vampire craze.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 24, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »
Pretty cool to see "yes" next to Dark Shadows on a card Johnny was carrying. Glad there was not a "no" next to DS. lol

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/06/23/johnny-depp-reveals-his-upcoming-projects-pirates-4-and-dark-shadows/

MirandaD

« Reply #918 on: June 24, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »
Is anybody else following John August on Twitter?  He is fairly active on there, and recently mentioned a script that he'd finished.  This might be the best route if you're interested in the possibility of getting the latest scraps of information on how the DS script is coming along.  He recently mentioned a script that he'd managed to get approved in record time (no, it was not DS).

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:32 AM »
Thanks MirandaD. I do try to monitor his website and Tweets-some of which I have no idea what he is saying. lol But I did catch that recent reference that John was working on a Tim Burton movie. I think more of us should monitor his site and his Twitter account.

On another note I asked the person running the Tim Burton Collective site essentially why it was only a possibility that the DS movie may film next year. He brought up the possibility that Tim Burton may be shooting Frankenweenie prior to the Dark Shadows movie. That could be a reason why Johnny used the word probably. You can see the exchange under the Wonderland/Dark Shadows article's comments. I just hope that is not the case.

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/tbcnews.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 24, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »
Originally all the reports did indeed say that Burton would followup Alice In Wonderland with Frankenweenie - that's why I kept saying that heavens knows when DS would get made. But then abruptly Frankenweenie fell off the radar, and we began seeing reports that DS was going to be Burton's next movie after AIW, that Warner's had rented studio space for DS, and that an announcement about DS was imminent from Warner's. And I'm trying to think - wasn't there even an interview a few months back where Burton himself said DS would be his followup to AIW (perhaps it was in the LA Times - I don't have time to check right now)? Not that Burton can't change his mind - but for the last several months reports have left little doubt that DS was definitely on the fast track to be Burton's next movie after AIW.

MirandaD

« Reply #921 on: June 24, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
I think we're in luck! [ghost_smiley] By all accounts and interviews, Johnny Depp views playing Barnabas as a dream come true.  Given his immense success, I would guess that he has enough clout to get DS done fairly soon.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 24, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »
I do share MirandaD your enthusiasm that Depp will get this DS movie done.

MB unfortunately we have to speculate on this but it sure makes for an interesting discussion. If we knew when Tim Burton will complete his Alice movie, we would be in better position of having an idea when the DS movie might begin filming. If TB is finished with Alice let's say by October or earlier, then the DS film could possibly start filming later this year. I am assuming the script will be completed by then. If TB needs more than that time, then the odds of DS being filmed this year decreases proportionately. On the other hand, TB may want to immediately begin shooting Frankenweenie based on the fact that his special visual team is already in place. Just a guess of course. But as you said everything points out that DS will be Tim's next project but something doesn't sit right with me at this moment.

MirandaD

« Reply #923 on: June 24, 2009, 09:21:30 PM »
The following link was tweeted by John August about an hour ago.  Video from Johnny Depp himself as to which projects will happen when.. he says DS next year!  I assume that means it will start filming then. 

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/403039/depps-future-projects.jhtml#id=1614449

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 24, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »
Thanks MirandaD for that excellent linked video clip. Josh was sneeky. lol JD did not hesitate at all in his response.

The writer of this article strongly advises that the DS movie shoots asap not to lose out on the vampire craze.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/06/24/johnny-depp-might-have-dark-shadows-in-his-future/

MirandaD

« Reply #925 on: June 24, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »
Thanks, jimbo, for the article.  I suppose trendiness has to enter into this, but one would hope that a fine film of whatever genre would be a hit in theatres.  Plus, we have an A list star, something no version of DS has ever come close to having.  I personally think it may be too late to cash in on the latest vampire mania by the time the DS movie comes out (my guess here is 2011), but frankly, it seems to me that vampires in the arts are never really out of style. 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #926 on: June 25, 2009, 12:33:43 AM »
I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but I think it's wise to take any of the various tidbits that have been scattered here and there, including those from Sam Sarkar, that myproductionweekly woman, etc., with a grain of salt and realize that everything is very tentative until a firm production schedule is announced (and sometimes even after!)  I don't have any problem with Sam Sarkar's earlier statements- I feel he was trying to express optimism for the project, and at the very least I think it shows that he is very confident in how things are going.  If the "imminent" announcement never happened, it is probably due mainly to what we all already heard- that Tim's involvement with Alice In Wonderland, and maybe the script, were taking longer than expected.  The actual timing is just something that has to be juggled, particularly at this point with regard to Tim (and I honestly don't know where Frankenweenie fits into all of this, but I just hope it won't interfere at all).  I also don't have any problem with whoever gave some information to myproductionweekly.  *If* the project had been ready to go this summer, they would have wanted to start getting prepared for that, and that might include sending notices to industry publications.  Remember again that the information there was not intended for the public- I think of it as a good sign for planning, but also realizing that many times the planning is a bit tentative in the early stages.

While I'm disappointed that DS doesn't seem ready to go this year, overall, everything seems to look very good for this film.  Richard Zanuck, Sam Sarkar, and Johnny have been extremely enthusiastic, and have always had (cautiously) optimistic things to say about the film's progress.  When I compare this with the ups and downs and at least 3 false starts with regard to Shantaram, as well as The Rum Diary, which finally got made after several false starts, DS seems to be very smooth sailing so far (knock wood!)  This is a good thing!!  Johnny's statements the other day are all very informative and very telling, and they represent to me the most accurate information that we've yet been given.  At this point, from Johnny's statements, I believe that the film will 1) be done next year, 2) with Tim, 3) it's his lifelong dream, 4) that and Pirates 4 are the main priorities on his horizon right now, with The Lone Ranger and Rex Mundi obviously in a more primitive state of development (And Sin City 3 and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote possibly not happening at all).  This is all welcome news to my ears!

Remember that Johnny will be on Letterman tomorrow, and while the chances that DS will be mentioned are small, it is another chance to possibly hear something more.  At the very least, maybe he'll tell Dave what he is planning to do with the second half of this year  [ghost_wink]

Miranda, Johnny does have a lot of clout and respect in Hollywood these days, and I feel very confident that he is producing and starring, given that.  It doesn't make anything guaranteed- in our current economy, the industry as a whole isn't in very strong shape, but I think that this particular project looks as strong as can be without it having already been made.  As for the vampire craze, not only do I think you make a good point that DS may be too late to cash in on the craze, but I also have a little fear that there may be some backlash from too many vampire projects in the works (not only True Blood and the Twilight franchise, but I've heard there is a new franchise called The Vampire Diaries, and I have also heard that there will be an American remake of last year's wonderful film Let The Right One In).  As you say, though, hopefully vampires will never go out of style, especially if it's a quality story!

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »
Madscntst and MirandaD I really enjoyed reading your posts. It's always been a double edged sword. We want this DS  movie to be filmed asap and yet we want it done correctly. I am very confident that JD and TB will give this movie every chance of succeeding and being as great as a new DS movie can be. This movie development process can be most frustrating. Regarding Sarkar and GK Films, it is great that they are showing tremendous enthusiasm for the project but they are expected to since they are in the business to make money. But I am glad that they are co-producers of this film. These are exciting times for the DS franchise and I hope that the movie gets filmed so that we can also get the NODS and HODS released on DVD and that Darren Gross' hard and long work on the NODS restoration project comes to see the light of day and his work recognized.

MirandaD

« Reply #928 on: June 25, 2009, 04:08:58 AM »
You make very good points, jimbo and madscntst.  While I am anxious to see the finished product, I would gladly wait months longer for the best possible movie, as long as that is what the wait is due to.  I've been getting carried away with excitement by the enthusiasm Johnny expressed for DS.  It certainly is music to my ears to hear how much he wants to play the role and how much he loves the show.  As somebody who's seen all the DS remakes including the '04 pilot,  I have to remain cautiously optimistic on this new version. 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #929 on: June 25, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
Hey jimbo, I think that maybe I'm just a little more used to the ups and downs of Johnny's various movie projects, so even though in some ways I have the same reactions as you do, I am not as worried because I haven't seen any real setbacks for DS.

And jimbo, you're gonna love this one-- our good friends at Entertainment Weekly, you know, the ones who once basically said DS was dead in the water, now have an item up about the DS film- it looks like they spoke to Johnny briefly at the Public Enemies premiere on Tuesday:

Johnny Depp, Tim Burton on board for 'Dark Shadows'

Cathy