Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449642 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Did they do the panel  (at the fest) on the new DS movie.  I would like to hear what hey had to say
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
me too. & also the actors strike is well bullshit. i was just reading an article on johnny depp & it didn't mention DS though. someone just asked IF he was still living in paris. & i guess he isn't anymore. he's i think in L.A. now with his family anyways.furthermore it went on to say that he lives in a mansion. my point? well

my point is simply this folks. IF you are living in a mansion for example like depp is. & no i have proof that he was even involved in this stupid actors strike. anyways my point is simply this, if you are living in a mansion or a house that NONE of us on this board can EVER afford let alone
rent one to live in. why go on strike? it's just plain stupid ya know? the writers is a bit more understandable ya know? anyways i've had my 2 cents in folks. he  he anyways, as for the film charlies's angles the first one did suck. & the 2nd one was a tad better. NOT much but a tad.

i got it for x-mas & i don't think i've watched it since i got the dvd of it back in what (2003)?  buut anyays i HOPE it is DS he's working on though. & making the script better of course. NOT worse as it can sometimes happen.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I am not too familiar with the specifics of the actors' strike, and I agree that from what little I've heard, it seems most of the opinion is that the SAG is being too bullheaded and not willing to compromise.  That said, Johnny Depp has been in one of the most successful movie franchises ever, and he can certainly afford to live in mansion(s) (he does have the house in LA but still has a house in the south of France as well as an island in the Bahamas, and divides his time among them), but his financial success is certainly not indicative of all actors; I'm sure there are many out there who struggle for a living.  I'm not saying that this strike would be right, but just that I believe there is a good reason for their unions.  Further, I have read nothing that Johnny is supporting the strike.  I am not sure about this, but I think the possibility of a strike is hurting him more than helping, because from what little I've heard, the fate of Shantaram, possibly the next movie Johnny will film (and produce), is currently on pause waiting to see how things shake out.  I'm sure it would be much better to have firm plans made.  And if Shantaram gets made, it's more likely that the way will be paved for DS.  I just hope, as I'm sure we all do, that the whole bloody mess will be resolved soon.

Cathy

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
I was at the fest and sorry I didn't go to the segment about the new movie.  So I too am very interested in hearing what was said!  They did show the 2004 "40 minute" plot.  Personally I enjoyed seeing it again but it is very modernized.  For those totally stuck in the past, exclusively loyal to the series and not into the graphic horror, you may not like it.   [wink2]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Considering that there haven't been any posts concerning the details of the Depp/DS Fest panel, I'm taking that to mean that there wasn't much if any new information imparted and it was basically info that those of us following the progress online already knew.

Well, at least some of the fans who don't read/partake of the various online message boards and lists are now up to speed. But I was hoping for a bit more info, like maybe a hint as to what sort of direction the script might take (i.e. a present day story involving Barn's release, or possibly a period story dealing with Barn being cursed). Given that the script is being worked on, surely they at least know that. But alas...

Although, I suppose I shouldn't be at all surprised by the lack of new details because, well, that's basically par for the course for the Fests.  [ghost_sad]  I guess we'll just have to learn to be extremely patient.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
nothing earth shattering was said. all of what they said we already knew.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
ok 1stly io was just using Depp as an example i haven't heard him say he was for the strike or against it. i only mentioned him cause he is as you can tell mentioned QUITE a few times in this thread for obvious reasons. & i'm sure there are some actors & actresses who actually aren't as as succesfull as Depp. take the actors from "Grey's Anotomy" or however ya spell that? the actor who plays George lives in an apartment. & NOT nothing fancy from what i have read. & he's a succesful actor on a hit tv show.  & no i haven't really heard IF he was for the strike either. but than to be honest i really haven't been paying much attention to it either way ya know? & as for the DS film

on the IMDB all i see on that is that it comes out in (2010) which prolly is something that EVERYONE here already knows. but my point is they FINALLY added it to their list of Depp's films!  bout time too IF i do  say so myself ya know? anyways, that's a shame NOTHING NEW was said about the film. i myself have yet to see the (2004) version which is EXTREMLY hard to believe THAT it's been THAT long ya know?

anyways, that's my 2 cents for the time being., hehe

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I wish they would sell the 2004 version on DVD.  I have heard good and bad things about it.  I bet they would make a killing.  Some people would want it as a DS collector, but most our of curiosity!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Considering that there haven't been any posts concerning the details of the Depp/DS Fest panel, I'm taking that to mean that there wasn't much if any new information imparted and it was basically info that those of us following the progress online already knew.

What panel? lol It was just Jim Pierson standing alone at the podium. All he said was that the script was in the process of being written and that when it is nailed down and approved, casting would then start; Jim said to ignore the casting rumors that are out there as there have been no formal discussions with anyone. He did admit that informal discussions may be happening with some actors but that he has not heard anything about that; he did say that the movie was definitely going to happen-that this is not just one of those deals that you hear about that a studio bought the rights from someone to film a movie; that he expects the movie to be released within two years; that the dvd release of the 2 DS movies were directly tied into the movie's release and said that he hoped by this time next year the dvds will be released; that there was hope by WB that the movie would lead into a DS movie franchise; the "panel" lasted about 5 minutes.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I would love a Franchise myself.  Johnny Depp is 46 and still looks AMAZING, so I don't think the age thing matters. The man looks like he is about 35 to me.   I would like nothing less than at least a trilogy! How lovely that would be.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the "panel" lasted about 5 minutes.

Considering that we wondered how in the world they were going to fill 30 minutes with what was already known, that doesn't surprise me in the least. What is a bit surprising, though, is that he didn't at least mention that John August is writing the script.  [ghost_huh]

Jim said to ignore the casting rumors that are out there as there have been no formal discussions with anyone.

Um, what casting rumors? The only casting discussions that would seem to be going on are the ones on DS message boards and lists, and those are all pure speculations. Anyone would be pretty foolish to lend credence to any of them as it's all just fans having fun among themselves. Well, unless there's some fool out there claiming to have inside info, and, sadly, I can't say it would actually surprise me in the slightest if something like that might be happening in one certain place that shall remain nameless [ghost_sad] - but certainly not on any of the legitimate message boards and lists...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB I can't say for sure that he did not mention August's name. The hotel's sound system was not at its best and I was near the back. I am trying to remember most of what he said. JP started talking in very general terms which was very disappointing but not surprising. It wasn't until he allowed a couple of questions from the audience that he opened up a bit. Perhaps someone else can provide more specifics but the bottom line is that he did not provide any additional specific information from what we already knew. As for the actors rumors he was not specific and just recommended that we ignore casting rumors in the media.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
jimbo, thanks for elaborating.  "Um, what casting rumors?" was my first reaction, too!  I haven't seen any yet in the media (other than Johnny for Barnabas), but I imagine it will start to happen if the film gets reported in the media more often.   Now I want to know which sites have the "inside information"  [ghost_cheesy]  Nah, just kidding, I tend to be skeptical of such sites and their agendas- I can wait for the real reports. 

BTW Johnny's only 45 (born June 9, 1963)- I know that makes a huge difference  [ghost_wink]  The guy has always been incredibly youthful looking.  That said, I can't help but hope that there might be an aging sequence in the film- I think he'd have a hoot playing a 150 year-old man!

Cathy

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Forgot to ask, did Pierson happen to mention what his role is (if any) in this film? 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
What jimbo said.  Nothing was announced that hasn't already appeared here.

I did hear that John August is writing the script, though we don't know any specifics about the story and therefore fans should ignore plot rumors.  Yet he provided reassurance that the key elements of DS will be there, such as the Gothic romance.  He (Pierson) personally felt that having Vicki be Josette's reincarnation in the '91 series worked very well.

Wow, that man can ramble.  I hope his role won't be as the movie's official spokesperson.  [ghost_wink]