Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447132 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1140 on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »
I hope the current fad for vampires doesn't fade away by the time it comes out.  I heard something today that Brad Pitt might be doing a new Dracula.
Josette

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1141 on: December 09, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
I don't think Vampires go out of style.  They certainly cycle!  However, Johnny Depp/Tim Burton/Dark Shadows now their is combination of fans tied to each one respectively!

Actually, HODS was released around Labor Day 1970.  But I agree that a release date close to Halloween for the Burton/Depp DS movie would be cool.

I guess I shouldn't rely on IMDB then! I thought they were failry accurate!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 10, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »
I don't think Vampires go out of style.  They certainly cycle!  However, Johnny Depp/Tim Burton/Dark Shadows now their is combination of fans tied to each one respectively!

Right, vampires are ALWAYS in style.  Maybe some are more stylish than others, though...   [santa_azn]

I'm trying to get my head around Brad Pitt playing Dracula (I assume that's was meant).  He seems more suited to play Jonathan Harker, although he'd better hurry up because he's starting to get a little long in the tooth to play that part (pun partially intended!)

I guess I shouldn't rely on IMDB then! I thought they were failry accurate!

Unfortunately, junk does find its way in there.  What's really odd is that the entry in IMDB is even basing the release date on the Detroit premiere, and Detroit is specifically where I recall it opening around Labor Day!  Oh well...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 11, 2009, 01:29:34 AM »
This linked site posted an article that allegedly clarifies the status of the movie project. But in reading the article it makes the situation more unclear or am I misreading it? It almost reads as that the movie is far from a done deal especially without a script. The interview does not flow well imo.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=13209

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 11, 2009, 07:52:37 AM »
It seems like what he's saying is that they have to get the script right. Actually, they've been saying that for months and it would be very interesting to know what it is about the script that they don't think is quite there. But then, considering we don't know anything about the script, ANY tidbit of info would be very interesting.  [santa_wink]

At least it's comforting to know that they want to get everything right before they shoot. Too many movies go into production without what they consider to be the right script and they rewrite it as they go along - and quite often the results are, shall we say, less than stellar.  [santa_rolleyes]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 11, 2009, 08:38:44 AM »
it would be very interesting to know what it is about the script that they don't think is quite there.
I figure they're having heated debates over whether Jeremiah was Barnabas’s uncle, cousin, brother, nephew, father, son, or ex.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 11, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
MB you also made an interesting point in a different post about how scripts are typically rewritten by other writers. I find that interesting. John August had a vision of what the DS movie should look like. Now it seems it's totally out of his hands and parts of his script is/are being rewritten by people from GK films. I would like to know if Johnny Depp and/or TB asked that revisions be made or if GK thinks changes need to be made although he now says he hasn't read the script. I thought I read that JD received or was about to receive the script so does it mean that he sent it back or it never got to him? I don't understand if what would happen if August doesn't agree with the subsequent changes-is it still a John August screenplay and the other writers get credit. I also wish they get the script right but it seems there are serious issues with it. On a side note, King can spin with the best. jk

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1147 on: December 11, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »
I also wish they get the script right but it seems there are serious issues with it. On a side note, King can spin with the best. jk

What makes you think there is serious issues?  Rewrites are pretty much par for the course on all movies are they not???  We may as well get settled in and be patient children!  Let it come naturally and as it needs to because the rushed production of DS 2004 was one of it's biggest downfall's from what I gather!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 11, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »
Taeylor I think people are free here to say what is on their minds at a given time on any given topic. For example in the post you quoted, I was responding to MB's post but you of course can comment on it. Many films in development never get made because of script issues and I hope that in this case it is not a serious one but it could be. If I choose to feel impatient that is my right. Some people can misinterpret the word "children" in your last post but I know you were not referring to my comment as childlike.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1149 on: December 11, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
I was using children affectionately jimbo! I hope no one misunderstands my post!  I say that all the time however you are not around nor anyone else here on the boards.  Bad judgement on my part!   You certainly are very free to have your opinion and I intended to malice at all!  [santa_embarassed]  My humble apologies dearest cousin! 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 11, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
I figure they're having heated debates over whether Jeremiah was Barnabas’s uncle, cousin, brother, nephew, father, son, or ex.

LOL!!! [santa_grin]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 11, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
No problem cousin. Everything is cool. I should have picked up on your writing style by now. lol Let's continue to enjoy Dark Shadows, the Holidays and especially each other.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1152 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
HERE HERE!!!!  [8_2_59] [8_2_73] [8_2_74] [candycanes] [santa_thumb]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 11, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
I think we just need to make sure we don't turn this thread into the old game of "Telephone" ...

That said, it's SO very good to hear that things are progressing, that it looks like perhaps the creative people are being left do their own creative thing without being bothered by the money people, and the project certainly does not seem to have been shelved!  Yay!!!  Can't wait until the day the movie finally premieres!   [8_2_81]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 13, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
MB you also made an interesting point in a different post about how scripts are typically rewritten by other writers. I find that interesting. John August had a vision of what the DS movie should look like. Now it seems it's totally out of his hands and parts of his script is/are being rewritten by people from GK films. I would like to know if Johnny Depp and/or TB asked that revisions be made or if GK thinks changes need to be made although he now says he hasn't read the script. I thought I read that JD received or was about to receive the script so does it mean that he sent it back or it never got to him? I don't understand if what would happen if August doesn't agree with the subsequent changes-is it still a John August screenplay and the other writers get credit.

The rules for who gets screenplay credit for what are all laid down in the Writers' Guild of America's Screen Credits Manual. I haven't read it, but I seem to recall reading when instances of credit have been at issue that it's based on things like what percentage of the script a writer or writers actually wrote and how much of his/her/their concepts are contained in it. Anyone who's really interested in reading up on the rules should click on the link I've provided.  [santa_smiley]

As for who asked for the changes, that's anyone's guess. It could have been Depp, Burton, King, or any combination of them. We know both Depp and Burton have been closely involved with the script because we know August has had meetings with them. So, if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that it was most likely Depp and/or Burton who feels the changes are necessary. But if we ever do find out what they've wanted changed, it probably won't be until after the film is completed...

Many films in development never get made because of script issues and I hope that in this case it is not a serious one but it could be.

Going by what we've heard and seen in the past, I wouldn't think the issues with the script are project killing. We've been led to believe that the script is almost where they want it - and it is Depp himself who has said that - and his body language in the video didn't appear to be deceptive in any way. He believed what he was saying. It's not like he said the script sucks and he wouldn't do it even if they paid him a $1M.  [santa_grin]  And though that's a joke, it actually does reflect the attitude of the talent when a film dies in script development. Producers and studios might spin, but the talent hardly ever does because they're the ones that are on screen.  [santa_wink]