Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449775 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That James guy is at it again. I agree with the writer that the Ms. Winters part may go to a more profile actress.

http://ramascreen.com/dark-shadows-casting-rumor-kirsten-van-wagner-as-victoria-winters/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
James certainly does get around.  [santa_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just picked up the new January 2011 issue of Vanity Fair, which has a cover story on Johnny. ...

Unfortunately, the whole article isn't online

The entire article is now available online. The DS references appear on page 1 and page 4 - but the entire article is definitely worth reading.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That James guy is at it again.

Hmmm - it's interesting how some links to that article mention James' last name while others don't.  [santa_cheesy]

And getting back to the subject James brought to Rama's SCREEN, apparently there's a second wave on the subject of Van Wagner's casting because several more reports have surfaced in the last day or two...

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Paul Reubens mentions the possiblity of working with Tim Burton again, one tiny namedrop of Dark Shadows:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/41644/exclusive-tim-burton-working-nightmare-christmas-sequel

a Nightmare Before Christmas sequel??!!  [santa_undecided]

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I seriously doubt that is going to surface, especially after the very lackluster 'Corpse Bride.'  There was also a sequel to Burton's 'Beetlejuice' that floated around for over a decade dying a slow death (not to mention what became of the 'Catwoman' spinoff which was once Burton's project.) 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Toronto Star has published a list of 11 things they can't wait for in 2011 and the Depp/DS film is among them: 11 things* we can't wait for in 2011

As for Burton and a sequel to Nightmare Before Christmas, the news of that possibility is all over the Internet. But then we know how these things, whether true or not, spread like wildfire.

And yet more sites are reporting Kristen Van Wagner's casting as Vicki...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
The Toronto Star has published a list of 11 things they can't wait for in 2011 and the Depp/DS film is among them

Yippee!!!   [8_2_59]  Glad there's anticipation for this.  I think that a 2011 release is a little optimistic, though.  Both Sweeney Todd and The Tourist came out the same year they were filmed, but they both started a little earlier than April.  And we don't know how many special effects this one might have.  So it'd be pretty tight!  But as long as it starts filming, that's all I care about for now!

Cathy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I continue to be excited and very enthusiastic about Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp! :) Can't wait and I for one am keeping an open mind. Thanks for the new links....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently because she was born in Baltimore, I see where the Baltimore Sun newspaper's Web site is getting in on the act of reporting that Kirsten Van Wagner has been cast as Vicki. One wonders if they actually checked to make sure it's true or if they're simply relying on the IMDb and all the other reports. There really was a time when one could count on newspaper Web sites to check facts and that the info posted on them was accurate - but sadly, those days seem to be in the far distant past. (And it's not just newspapers because look at how often CNN has been duped and reported things from the Internet that have turned out not to have one shred of truth to them.  [snow_rolleyes]  Journalistic reporting has gone to hell...)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Someone on FB posted that IMDb had removed Kirsten's name from its site. We are in the dark about the project as always.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I see the casting is gone from both the listing for the film and from her own page. Fascinating. And all the more fascinating because we have no idea who put it up as well as who took it down - or where the hell her association with the part of Vicki came from in the first place...

I wonder if the Baltimore Sun will now be printing a retraction? I suspect it's not likely.  ;)  But wouldn't it be even more fascinating if Van Wagner actually did have the part but somehow lost it or withdrew...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Always late catching up on my e-mail, and a couple of interesting mentions of the Depp/DS film:

Hey, Hollywood -- Get These 11 In-Development Movies Made By The End Of 2011, OK?!

Apparently the MTV Movies Blog is getting impatient. And funny how they seem to ignore the fact that none of the previous reported starts were ever announced by Warner Brothers in the trade papers, yet the April start was...

This one wonders if Johnny Depp's win at the People's Choice Awards over Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner of the Twilight films "foreshadows how much better Johnny Depp's vampire will be than the modern vampires on the big screen"?

Is that a rhetorical question?  [snow_smiley]

And lastly:

The 20 Biggest Movie Stars in 2011

When it comes to Depp, this one says: "But his biggest headlines will probably occur as he dons fangs to shoot ”Dark Shadows” for his longtime friend and collaborator, Tim Burton. Considering Depp and vampires are the hottest things going, the world may actually implode when he’s first photographed in costume. At the very least, girls might start saying “Edward who?"

Love it!  Hopefully the world won't implode - but it will be a HUGE day in DS fandom when the first picture(s) is(are) released.  [snow_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I am so excited! We have been discussing this on Facebook.  My thoughts are even if the movie doesn't turn out to be wonderful it's going to bring great publicity to DS.  I feel that it's going to revive our beloved fandom like the REVIVAL did.  It brought some many new fans, like me, and it's going to bring attention to the original and I think that will get people interested in it.  If I at 13 can fall in love with the original as well then I feel that younger fans of the new movie will as well.  I feel like the movie will be great but I am just saying it's a win win situation. No publicity is bad publicity in my opinion!  Can't wait....to hear and see more about this wonderful project.  We should be so happy that our beloved DS was bought my an actor of Johnny's caliber.  I am sure he paid a pretty penny for it.  He is a fan and I feel he will do it justice. I know some are concerned about it being campy and not dark.  However, I say take a look at SLEEP HOLLOW. Burton/Depp can do dark and I feel they will go this direction with DS.   

Thanks for the links MB!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Others may have seen this already, but I just discovered this mock trailer for the Depp/DS film on YouTube. It combines elements from the original as well as the '91 Series and avoids showing faces so as to maintain the illusion of being the real thing (and wisely uses footage from the '91 Series, so MPI probably won't be demanding it be taken down). Obviously it's not the real trailer, but it's definitely gotten me psyched for the real thing.  [snow_wink]

Check out: Dark Shadows Mock Movie Trailer