Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449648 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This article in December, 07, August had stated at his website that he was working on a secret Tim Burton live action movie project and he himself could not divulge its name. Was it DS?

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/2007/12/john-august-hinting-at-unknown-future.html

Apparently we're not the only ones speculating the Depp/DS film was most probably the project August was referring to in his blog because, since you posted this last week, I've come across several reports about Burton and August's involvement that are doing the exact same thing. Interestingly, though, August's posting on his blog was earlier than we originally thought because he made it back on November 27th. That, of course, means he's been attached even longer -  though that still doesn't change the fact that he couldn't have begun working on the script until after the writers' strike ended on February 12th.

(August's blog posting also shows that you can't always believe what you read on the IMDB - but then, we already knew that.  ::))

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is interesting. It's possible that the script is further along than we thought. Although August was unable to start writing the script until February 12, 2008 this gave him enough time to really think about the storylines in his mind. Although IMDB updated the DS 2010 site naming Burton as its director it still does not name John August as its writer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Although August was unable to start writing the script until February 12, 2008 this gave him enough time to really think about the storylines in his mind.

Oh, I don't know - would even thinking about the script have been in violation of the strike?  [b003]  I'm envisioning every union writer having had to wipe out of their heads even the slightest thought about what they were working on before the strike or were about to be working on. And if a thought did indeed pop into their heads, I'm then envisioning a scenario right out of AA where that writer had to quickly phone a colleague to confess and that colleague would then have had to force the writer to think about something/anything else.  [lghy]

Seriously, though - I do wonder if ideally no one was suppose to even think about any of their work? It would be interesting to read what the strike's bylaws were and if they were that restrictive. Though, of course, no one could actually prove that any writers had "illegal" thoughts during the strike so long as nothing was actually written down regarding them...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Seriously, though - I do wonder if ideally no one was suppose to even think about any of their work? It would be interesting to read what the strike's bylaws were and if they were that restrictive. Though, of course, no one could actually prove that any writers had "illegal" thoughts during the strike so long as nothing was actually written down regarding them...

I would have to guess that writers are just as human as we are. jk I really don't know what the bylaws and the ethical obligations were during the strike. I would have to guess that TPTB gave some plot line ideas to August in order for him to write a script. We will never know exactly what the timeline was when the script was discussed. I am encouraged by the fact that he has been working on the script possibly at least from February 12, 2008. The IMDB page for the DS 2010 indicates that the status of the movie as "in production" However, my  limited understanding of the movie world is that the DS movie is not yet at the pre-production phase. Is this an error? Doesn't WB have to first greenlight this movie or has it done so already?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
I film in B&W with Johnny Depp?  It has a chance because of his drawing power IMO. I say go for it. I believe that  although the target audience may be a little younger, they will take into consideraton female fans. Female audiences are getting to be a very important demographic. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I would have to guess that TPTB gave some plot line ideas to August in order for him to write a script. We will never know exactly what the timeline was when the script was discussed.

Not necessarily - that could be explained as part of the Fest presentation.  [ghost_wink]

The IMDB page for the DS 2010 indicates that the status of the movie as "in production"

I wouldn't necessarily put too much stock in the info on the IMDB because we have no idea who's adding it or how reliable a person they are. Just look at how wrong the listing about John August working on Burton's Frankenweenie was.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Is it not possible that depp has moved ds ahead of some of his other projects and its going to move faster then any of us though.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
If the 2004 45 minute pilot cost six million dollars I can't even begin to think how much this movie will cost with Depp's and Burton's salary and not even considering the CGI effects, entire cast, location shots , interior shots plus marketing etc......

I'm betting that this film will have the modest budget range of probably $40 to $60 million. (Or less).
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That may be a fair estimation.  Having his own production team producing the movie, I guess Depp's salary would be lower than normal. I am still going with 60-80 million budget.  I just think WB will go all out for this movie.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It might all depend on how much CGI they plan on using because CGI can really ratchet up a budget.

Personally, I don't believe the film should really require all that much CGI to get the story across. But then, I'm not 12-25 years old...

As for things like Burton's and Depp's salaries, I have no idea what their practices tend to be, but some directors and stars will completely forgo a salary in lieu of a percentage of the gross, particularly when/if they're working on projects that are close to their hearts, which this film would certainly seem to be in at least Depp's case.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
The new DS movie should be a block buster because even people that have never heard of the greatest television show in American history  will flock to see this movie because of Johnny Depp who is a huge box office draw. [ghost_tongue2]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The person who wrote this report even provides visual aids to prove his point that he can think of no one better than Depp to play Barnabas. Check out:

A Fool's Utopia 06.12.08: Summer Time
This week in one man's utopia ... Johnny Depp's next project...

(Scroll to about a third of the way down the page.)

It's frightening to think that Barnabas could look like almost any one of them! And not frightening in good way.  [lghy]  (Though it's too bad he didn't also include Depp's look for his role as a transvestite prostitute in Before Night Falls[b003])

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The person who wrote this report even provides visual aids to prove his point that he can think of no one better than Depp to play Barnabas.

That's so amusing!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Here's an example of one of the reports that are also speculating that the Tim Burton project John August was hinting about last November was the Depp/DS film: Burton + Depp + August = "Dark Shadows"? But what's actually most interesting about this one from The Tim Burton Collective is that they also mention that even if Burton is attached as director, that doesn't necessarily mean that he will direct, and why that *could* be.

I'm still on the fence as far as Burton directing goes, so I'm not sure if I feel like rooting for him to direct or not to direct...

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I've read one of the worse remakes Burton directed is "Planet of The Apes". I just hope he doesn't add
the new DS movie into the list of worst remakes.

I've checked Moviefone and it said the Burton's "9" will be release in 2009 and "Alice In Wonderland" will be
release in 2010. It did'nt mentioned a word about the DS movie.