Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447490 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #975 on: July 21, 2009, 05:15:17 AM »
I am posting this article who's writer is opposed to the Dark Shadows remake film.

I wouldn't argue that he's entitled to his opinion (even though many of us would disagree), but one thing he might want to do before he writes his next column/diatribe is check his facts because Zac Efron dropped out of the Footloose remake more than three months ago. But then, I guess his motto might be (as it seemingly is with so many people posting blogs) why let little things like facts spare the world of a diatribe.  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:01 AM »
Having experienced high hopes originally for a revival of a Dark Shadows series on TV, which I think is the best format for DS, I've finally settled into a general disinterest in a new film version of DS. The 1991 TV remake had some good aspects, but it wasn't "the same" as the original DS. A movie now is going to have little of what makes the original series something unique in television history. After 40 years, a new movie version is going to have little in common with the DS that many of us grew up with. I could accept Johnny Depp as a new Barnabas, but after forcing myself to make it through "Sleepy Hollow" after several attempts, I just can't see Tim Burton as the right person to direct something like "Dark Shadows," with its complex characters, intricate mysteries, and old-fashioned Gothicism. I'm content personally to keep the flame going for the original, and don't want its memory or unique place in television history usurped by a 21st century movie.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 21, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
While I, myself, am very excited about seeing a new DS on the big screen, I do share Philippe's qualms about Tim Burton directing it.  I didn't really care for Sleepy Hollow, and while I have greatly enjoyed other Burton films, I haven't seen in them anything that shows me he knows how to handle the kind of atmosphere and tone that would be appropriate for DS.  But in regard to Johnny Depp, I consider him to be immensely talented, and have no doubt that he would do a fantastic job in the role of Barnabas Collins.  And since he's a lifelong fan of DS, and this project is essentially his baby, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that he's worked things out with Burton to ensure that the film keeps to the essential spirit of the previous incarnations of DS.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 22, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
Let's pray to God that Burton doesn't decide to do the Depp/DS film solely as "campy melodrama"!  [ghost_shocked]  That has been my fear since he was announced as director. But I'm trying to take solace from the fact that he also believes that DS is "dead serious—and decidedly odd." That's more promising. Let's hope he ultimately decides the tone and vibe should focus more in that direction...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 22, 2009, 12:34:39 AM »
This may sound like a silly question but doesn't August's script set the tone of the movie? I mean I would think they got together with August before he started to write the script and they had already decided if they were going in a campy direction or in a dead serious one. Doesn't TB already have an idea which way he will set the tone of the movie because that must have been communicated to August in order that he could write the treatment and then ultimately the script? For example, if TB wanted DS to be a dead serious movie he needed to communicate that idea to the writer so I am guessing TB has a plan in place. But based on this article it sounds like he is still playing with the movie's concept although the script has been completed.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A serious script can easily be turned into campy melodrama if the director instructs the actors to play it that way. It's all a matter of degree of performance.

As I said at the outset, I thought Burton's style can often be a bit too quirky to be compatible with the DS universe. But I've tried to put that feeling aside and to keep an open mind that Burton could reign in much of his quirkiness when directing the Depp/DS film. However, Burton's response to the description of DS as "campy melodrama" doesn't exactly help me keep an open mind. But I'll definitely try to hold onto the other remarks to balance that one...

MirandaD

« Reply #982 on: July 22, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
Thanks jimbo for that link!   I agree, MB, that the choices an actor makes do tend to set the tone.  My expectations for any DS movie are pretty low, to be honest.  If Burton is intent upon creating the correct vibe for the movie, I'd be overjoyed just at that success.  I thought it was the author of the piece and not Burton describing it as "campy melodrama"?  Did I misread?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 22, 2009, 01:44:20 AM »
I thought it was the author of the piece and not Burton describing it as "campy melodrama"?  Did I misread?

Not at all. But it's Burton's claim in response to that question that they're still debating the tone and vibe the film should take and that campy melodrama is seemingly even a possibility that scares me.  [ghost_blink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:26 AM »
I love Tim, and even I have some reservations about him directing this particular film.  Usually, I love the universes that he creates, but as others have mentioned, DS seems a bit stranger of a fit for him than, say, Alice In Wonderland (which IMHO is a perfect choice for him).  I do love both Sweeney Todd and Sleepy Hollow, and if DS is somewhat along those lines, with a little bit of subtle humor but not enough to make the story silly, I think I'll be okay.  DS is not silly! 

With regards to Sweeney Todd, a lot of the diehards of the musical didn't think that Tim's take was humorous *enough*, and if you've seen the wonderful stage show, you'll understand why they say that.  But I find it a positive sign that Tim understood that some of the jokes that went over so well on stage just wouldn't translate to the tone of the movie, and so I'm hoping that he'll be able to show restraint on the "campy" temptations. 

At any rate, I'm thrilled that Tim spoke about the project to MTV.  I hope we'll be hearing more and more tidbits soon!

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2009, 04:26:19 AM »
It seems that Tim Burton is just going to close his eyes and believe that the 1991 Dark Shadows never happened. I would say that series was dead serious most of the time and that is what Tim should go with. (not an exact duplication of the 1991 series of course). What is there to think about? I would say the ending of the 2004 pilot would be considered campy melodrama and that final scene ruined that pilot imo.

MirandaD

« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:37 AM »
jimbo, to me the whole 2004 pilot was campy in a "Tales from the Crypt" kind of way, and for that reason I did not enjoy it very much.  Certainly the last scene was completely over-the-top.

But back on topic.. I did a search on the Comic Con website, and here's what came up under Tim Burton's name:

Thursday, July 23
11:00-12:30 Disney: 3D Panel— Walt Disney Pictures presents key filmmakers, select cast members and previously unseen footage from its upcoming slate, including Disney’s A Christmas Carol, Alice In Wonderland and Tron. Special guests include Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Sean Bailey, Steve Lisberger, and moderator Patton Oswalt. Hall H
Categories:  Animation | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

Friday, July 24
2:30-3:30 Focus Features: 9— Focus Features and Comic-Con present an exclusive look inside director Shane Acker's animated fantasy epic 9, the feature-length expansion of his short film of the same name. Directors Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov are among the feature version's producers. The action-packed adventure—opening nationwide 9/9/09—takes place after our world fell to pieces, when a group of "stitchpunk" creations must summon individual strengths well beyond their own proportions. While showcasing a stunning steampunk-styled visual brilliance, 9 dynamically explores the will to live, the power of community, and how one soul can change the world. Join Shane Acker, Tim Burton, Timur Bekmambetov, and actors Elijah Wood and Jennifer Connelly LIVE for this panel presentation! Hall H
Categories:  Animation | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 22, 2009, 05:06:38 AM »
I agree MirandaD that parts of the pilot was campy-scenes with the Elizabeth character is one performance that stands out as campy or over- the-top.
Thanks for the schedule of events. Wish I could be there. It will be interesting to see when in 2010 they will shoot the film. Just because Tim is ready may not mean Johnny is but it should both be there next movie project. And I think we should finally be hearing from the studio for an official announcement "soon". There is that word again.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 22, 2009, 05:13:12 AM »
Interesting article from the Hollywood Reporter on Johny Depp's future projects akin to being all dressed up with no where to go. Dark Shadows is mentioned.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i00860fac3d23b30ee40277d8157b4624

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 22, 2009, 05:24:45 AM »
Definitely an interesting article. Some reports several months back were wondering if Depp was going to become overexposed because of so many films in his pipeline. I guess they no longer have to worry about that. And honestly, it could work to the benefit of the DS film if his disappearance from the scene for a time causes audiences to crave seeing him once the DS film is finally released.  [ghost_wink]