Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449996 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The story hit the Variety wires about an hour ago, but the story may not be available to non-subscribers.

It also got picked up by the following site:

Johnny Depp in Dark Shadows film

Things are about to change drastically for DS.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 02:52:15 AM »
 ;) Well, Darren, since today is not April 1st...this must be based in fact!  And if anyone can bring in an audience, and make this a hit, it's Johnny Depp!

PLEASE let's hope Warners and DCP give him a good script, and make sure all of the other familiar DS characters are included.  And please don't just remake HODS (but then, I must remember, I am not the primary audience for this new movie, and a new younger audience might buy into the DS mythos, even if it is a remake of HODS.)

Guess I better go out and see those Jack Sparrow movies, too.  ::)
Brian

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 03:29:30 AM »
that's super hot news!

i will say this however.how does one go about trying to capture the breadth of the original series in just two hours?how will that translate?i've even felt that way about a twenty four episode weekly series.

will we just get "evil" barnabas?how will his guilt and reluctance be explained without the elaborate flashback to 1795?and with dozens of characters just in the "present time" part of the story i wonder who will make the cut for two hours?

i suspect some grand dame casting for liz in a small,cameo-like role.with both vicki and maggie in contention for the principle-ingenue/josette-replacement role i wonder who will show up?obviously julia and angelique factor into this tale in a major way but would depp share the spotlight with a quentin character?members of the family like roger,carolyn and david?various servants and townspeople...mrs. johnson?sam evans?sheriff patterson?oh the possibilities are endless...and i'm going to watch the development of this project with baited breath.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »
Interestingly, an article entitled "' Dark Shadows' sees the light," which begins "Film ' Dark Shadows' sees the light Warner teaming with Depp, King By MICHAEL FLEMING...to develop a feature based on the '60s daytime supernatural sudser " Dark Shadows." Depp has said in interviews that he has always been obsessed...," comes up in a search on Variety's site, but when one tries to access it, a message comes up that says:

Article not available

You requested an article that does not currently exist in our database. We apologize for this inconvenience.

But no matter, the article will become available at some point - and this is incredible news!

I know many people had thought for quite some time that Depp would be perfect as a big screen Barnabas, but I never really saw it until I watched From Hell on DVD about two years ago. However, I honestly never really thought a project would ever come together. Well, I suppose I'll have to eat my words. But it will be a very enjoyable meal.  [lghy]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:50:38 AM »
Oh. My. God.

Words fail to express just how excited I am by this bit of news. *dies*  [a345]

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 03:53:01 AM »
Wow.  Just....wow.  My husband might be about to become a full fledged DS fan ;)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:32:23 AM »
At last:

Depp lights up 'Dark Shadows'
Graham King to produce Warner feature
By MICHAEL FLEMING

(Posted: Thurs., Jul. 26, 2007, 8:00pm PT)

Johnny Depp is getting in touch with his inner vampire.

Warner Bros. is teaming with Depp's Infinitum-Nihil and Graham King's GK Films to develop a feature based on the '60s daytime supernatural sudser "Dark Shadows."

Depp has said in interviews that he has always been obsessed with "Dark Shadows" and had, as a child, wanted to be Barnabas Collins, the vampire patriarch of the series. The role was originated by Jonathan Frid.

A rights deal just closed with the estate of Dan Curtis, the producer/director who created the soap that aired weekdays on ABC, from 1966 to 1971. Depp and King will produce with David Kennedy, who ran Dan Curtis Prods. until Curtis died last year of a brain tumor. Infinitum-Nihil's Christi Dembrowski served as the point person on the deal.

Over 1,225 episodes, "Dark Shadows" was a highly atmospheric, spooky soap that featured gothic horror staples like vampires, monsters, witches, werewolves, ghosts and zombies. The show has a continuing rabid fan base that populates Dark Shadows Festival conventions. Numerous TV revivals of the series and pic adaptations have been attempted over the years but none with as high-wattage a star as Depp.

Depp, who is coming off "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and who just wrapped the Tim Burton-directed "Sweeney Todd," is next expected to star in "Shantaram," a Mira Nair-directed adaptation of the Gregory David Roberts novel that Depp, King and Plan B are producing for Warner Bros. Depp, King and WB are also mobilizing to make a film about the life of Alexander Litvinenko, with Depp poised to play the former KGB agent, who was fatally poisoned.

(Date in print: Fri., Jul. 27, 2007, Los Angeles)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »
Damn, it's finally happening! DS is going to be brought to a new audience! I can't believe it! Please God, let this thing get off the ground and happen in the next couple of years (and by that I mean that its in theaters by 2010, God that'd be great).

As far as storylines, the choices are endless. But I think, perhaps what would work best, would be coming up with a new twist on the classic story that was showcased in HODS. We need something simple, forboding, and without much backstory so that newbie's don't have a hard time getting engrossed in the world. I don't want a remake of HODS, by any means, but there is a way that this could be made to happen.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 05:15:22 AM »
I don't want a remake of HODS, by any means

I mean no disrespect at all by what I'm about to say, but with DC out of the picture, the probability that any new DS project would not be a virtual remake of hoDS seems much more likely than it would if he were still in the picture.

And I don't mean to stifle the excitement in any way because this is wonderful news we've gotten tonight, BUT as Brandon points out...

Please God, let this thing get off the ground and happen in the next couple of years

...we definitely need to note that this project is still in development. There are at least 101 things that need to happen before we'll ever see a finished film. And it's going to be a much slower process than the WB pilot, which went from announcement to completion of shooting in less than six months. The process here is likely to be a loooong one - especially when, as Variety reports, Depp already has other projects in the pipeline...

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:32:11 AM »
Just think if it comes off,  a whole new generations of fans. I hope that Johnny Depp tries to stay somewhat true to the show. I think some of the things that make it magical was that it was suspenseful with out being too gorry. It is just like the Radio Plays we made our own pictures in our minds.  The things we didn't see made is special for us to use our imagination.   Movies are a lot more graphic now!
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 05:49:55 AM »
It's nice to see that this is being treated as a big story. I just received today's Variety Headlines e-mail and it's the top story. The e-mail itself is even titled "DEPP LIGHTS UP 'DARK SHADOWS'"  [thumb]

And in addition to the Web site Darren provided the link to, MovieWeb is also reporting the story: Johnny Depp to Develop Dark Shadows

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 08:18:29 AM »
I'm personally pleased as punch that this is going to be developed with Depp at the starring helm.  In fact, I'm dancing with joy!  [skelleton_2]

He is a perfect choice for the role of Barnabas.  Even if it is HODS, there can be sequels.  The franchise needs a fresh breath of air and this could bring in a new generation of fans.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »
A few more links:

Sci Fi Wire News: Depp Bites Into Dark Shadows

Though that one basically recycles everything that's already been written. At least the following two give it a bit of their own spin:

Zee News: Johnny Depp the next `Dark Shadows` vampire?
(Complete with a photo of Depp with drawn in fangs.  :D)

Orlando Sentinel: Deep to do Dark Shadows
(They obviously need to hire a proofreader.  :- )

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »
This must bode well for your pet project, Mr. Gross!

I couldn't be more thrilled!

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »
This must bode well for your pet project, Mr. Gross!

One can only hope!  [pray]

And here are two more links:

Scenta.co.uk: Depp wants a bite of Dark Shadows movie

And one from New York Magazine with the bizarre title: Johnny Depp to Wear His Own Clothes in ‘Dark Shadows’ Movie