Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450179 times)

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
Re: New Dark Shadows Movie
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2008, 06:54:38 AM »
New Dark Shadows movie poster. It looks really cool! Something else that I just thought about, I hope that this isn't going to be a remake of "House of Dark Shadows" That thought just came to me after looking at the new DS poster. I 'm getting really excited now.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »
JS, are you talking about the image in your avatar, or are you referring to something else?  Either way, am I right in assuming it was created by a fan?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
This is interesting: jimbo pointed me to fearnet.com (the horror movie database) and they're listing Dan Daniels as the writer of the Depp/DS film
I hate to say it, but I strongly suspect that it's a case that someone over there has a weird sense of humor because subsequent searches have brought up Dan Daniels in place of Dan Curtis in several of DC's productions.

At least this site that I just came across has the good sense to list details as "Not available": Dark Shadows - ShockTillYouDrop.com. And it looks like one that might be reliable once details are released.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #258 on: May 26, 2008, 01:27:55 AM »
I am so embarrassed! Last night I was emailed by the creator of this poster. His name is Mike. He told me that he created this poster a couple of years ago. I am so sorry that I got caught up in the excitement of seeing this poster. Mike, also tells me that The new Dark Shadows movie will be a remake of House of Dark Shadows. This is my greatest fear not only do I hate remakes because most of them lack any kind of originality. I was so hoping that Johnny Depp would make Barnabas a good guy and add some class to the new DS movie. I wish that there was a way for us DS fans to putt in some of  our opinions so that this new movie will be a big success. I really would love to know Jonathan Frid's opinion on this matter too. Maybe he can have some influence on Johnny Depp, since Johnny is a big fan of his.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 26, 2008, 01:53:16 AM »
Thank you for your response, JS.  And there's no need to feel embarrassed, as most of us can relate to your excited anticipation.

But since no details have been released about the plot of the future movie, I think it's a safe bet that Mike is merely speculating about it being a remake of HoDS.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2008, 02:26:19 AM »
JS many of us post messages that are premature and/or inaccurate so don't feel embarrassed. I remember recently posting the name of the screenwriter for the new DS movie I read from a website and it turned out that the guy does not exist. It happens. BTW I do like the poster from what I can see of it. Very original. Mike did a great job. Would like to see the entire poster. As Midnite pointed out, no details regarding the movie's plot have been released to the media or by Dan Curtis Productions. Hopefully DCP will have some news for us soon. I would have to guess that the new DS movie, if there is one, will be geared to a wide audience. There are many people especially younger ones who may never have heard of DS so character development is essential. I sincerely doubt if the new DS movie will be based on HODS.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #261 on: May 27, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »
For those whose reading is shot to hell, here is a link to the original avatar in JS profile.  It's quite an old poster he did by the looks of the date when it originally posted.  He was ahead of his time here.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2008, 05:29:17 AM »
I suppose we all have to be a little patient and not jump to too many conclusions about what the new DS movie is going to be about. I will just cross my fingers and wait for a great movie that has been a long time coming. I'm sure that most of us won't be disappointed.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2008, 05:54:18 AM »
I suppose we all have to be a little patient and not jump to too many conclusions about what the new DS movie is going to be about.

Someone told me that the movie would be about the 2-3 episodes which featured Garth Blackwood in the series. Also, Jeb Hawkes, Nicholas Blair, Adam, and Judah Zachary are worked into the plot somehow. Petofi is played by John Goodman.

LOL...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2008, 06:47:09 AM »
You joke, but John Goodman might actually make for an interesting Petofi - though I don't think Petofi will be in this movie.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »
Now I'm picturing Roseanne Barr playing Maggie Evans.  Barnabas takes one look at her and thinks:  "Wow, reincarnation wasn't kind to Josette.  Guess I should count my lucky stars I didn't marry her 200 years ago; I really missed a bullet with that one."

Gerard

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »
Hey folks, some news (I think).  According to IESB.net, John August is writing the script for "Tim Burton's Dark Shadows."  This is certainly the first I've heard of Burton directing the film, though I know there has been speculation about it.  August wrote the screenplays for both Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride.  I'm still not totally sure I am happy with Tim's involvement, though I feel better after having seen Sweeney Todd, which is darker and less "fanciful" than most of his other work.  But I'm sure glad to see progress being made on the film!

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4997&Itemid=99

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »
I've never really been all that worried about the potential of a Tim Burton DS film. Movies like Sweeny Todd and most especially Sleepy Hollow keep me from getting worried. Add in the fact that Depp is a fan, and Burton seems to be, too, and I'm pretty confident they'll create an excellent film.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
Good point, bb, and I didn't mean to sound as negative about Burton as I did above.  I do love Tim, it's just that he wouldn't have been my first thought for director of DS, other than that Johnny absolutely loves working with him.  But that last point is key-- they do make a great team, and I think they will really push each other hard to make a great film. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
I hope the IESB report does pan out to be true. It would be great news (well the John August part - I'm not so sure about the Tim Burton part - but if that turns out to be true, I'll learn to live with it) because it means progress is finally being made...

Thanks for the heads up madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]