Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447499 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #660 on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »
A friend of mine said he heard the Depp DS project is no more, anyone know any more about this??

No offense to your friend, but he probably read one or more of the ridiculous reports that were posted on a few Web sites a few weeks ago. It all started with a misleading report in Entertainment Weekly:

The October 10, 2008 issue (#1015) of Entertainment Weekly states on page 11

that was subsequently dispelled by an interview with Tim Burton:

Tim Burton did with a blogger from the LA Times

and a personal encounter with Barbara Steele:

I attended the Chillertheatre convention in New Jersey today and met Barbara Steele

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2008, 01:29:04 AM »
I have no idea if this photo is real. Somehow I doubt it is (it seems more like some DS fan tried his/her hand at image manipulation.  [hall2_wink])  But IF it is, how appropriate would the tattoo be for the future Barnabas?  [hall2_smiley]

The photo is definitely a fake.  Johnny does indeed have a number of tattoos, and the ones you can see on his arms in that picture are real.  But the photo was taken in 1995 by William Maser, when he had no tattoos on his chest:
http://www.deppography.com/Depp/item.php?q=1995-00-00-PS-Maser_04911

Now, he does have one tattoo on his chest- in 1999, he got one of his daughter's name, Lily-Rose, as can be seen in this photo that was used for the cover of Rolling Stone earlier this year:
http://www.deppography.com/Depp/item.php?q=2008-01-00-PS-Rolston_01784

but no "Fangxious" :)

I do wish we would hear some word about the status of DS, but I suspect there won't be anything newsworthy for them to announce until the script is completed.  So, I will cross my fingers for that to happen soon!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 13, 2008, 06:44:53 AM »
The Depp/DS film is referenced as part of a Twilight article and how vampires in general are currently competing "to get their fangs into fans."

Check out: Hit & Run: Heroes with bite

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 13, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »
Another article about how hot vampires are these days and a DS Depp mention.

http://justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/4289-those-vampires-theyre-so-hot-right-now.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2008, 06:02:59 AM »

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 02, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »
MB that was a very nice article you posted above this one.

John August answered a question at his website on how long it should take a script to be written. In part he said:
"I’m hesitant to give a firm number for how many weeks it should take to write a script. Every project is different. Big Fish took me the better part of four months, while Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was three weeks. But part of the reason Charlie was only three weeks was because that’s all the time there was. There was already a release date, and sets were being built." You can see the entire article at his website  www.johnaugust.com

I lost track of time but I still say the DS script has been completed months ago although I could be easily wrong.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #666 on: December 03, 2008, 06:53:09 AM »
That was a good article however, I think it's great Madonna was a fan.  Like her or not, no one can deny the ideliable mark she has made on POP CULTURE, let alone the music scene.    Seeing her live just proved to me that I doubt I will ever see this kind of "ARTIST" in my lifetime again.  [santa_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #667 on: December 03, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
Some good news and some bad news regarding the DS film.  The good news is that a new Variety article continues to assure us that the film is still on tap, and confirms (?) Johnny in the role of Barnabas.  The bad news is that the Variety article announces yet another upcoming project for Johnny's production company, in which Johnny will likely star:  "The Hand Of Dante."  Further bad news (for DS fans anyway, not for Depp fans) is that the article confirms that The Rum Diary will start filming in March.  This follows the voice work that Johnny is doing in January for the animated film Rango.  So in other words, there's still a lot on Johnny's plate, and although DS is mentioned, there is no new information on it.  But I'm very pleased that it's still being mentioned.  And remember that it still has a 16 month lead on The Hand Of Dante, which will need to now find someone to write the script, yadda-yadda. 

See the article:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117996716.html?categoryId=13&cs=1

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »
I think the really bad news is that Shantaram is officially back on Depp's schedule (there had been some speculation in the media that the project was on shaky grounds) and that is going to be a very long shoot. It's probable that Depp is going to film Shantaram prior to DS. I am not that excited as this article's writer:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=14742

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #669 on: December 04, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »
Although Shantaram is mentioned in the Variety article, I noticed that unlike DS, there was no mention of Johnny starring in Shantaram (nor the other projects that were listed).  Of course, I guess we won't know for sure until/unless something is announced, but it's possible that Johnny is no longer interested in starring in the movie, only in producing it.  It would certainly be a huge commitment compared with other potential projects, and now Mumbai is not a safe place to be right now.  So I still take the article (cautiously) as a good sign with regard to DS. 

Crossing fingers...
Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 04, 2008, 04:43:42 AM »
This article and video clip indicates that Tim Burton's next project is Dark Shadows and to be filmed next summer?

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14529

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #671 on: December 04, 2008, 04:53:46 AM »
This article and video clip indicates that Tim Burton's next project is Dark Shadows and to be filmed next summer?

Woo-hoo, the man has spoken!!   [santa_smiley]   [santa_thumb]   [santa_cheesy]  The timing seems just right- just after The Rum Diary.  And what's best is that Zanuck volunteered the information.  Very cool!!!  Now we can start speculating about the story, the characters, and the cast!

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:57 AM »
Another article about this latest possible development. Hopefully a confirmation will be coming soon.

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/10021/tcid/1

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #673 on: December 04, 2008, 05:14:21 AM »
It'll be nice to see a printed news item as confirmation, but Richard Zanuck's word is about as good as it gets!!   Boy, this is really starting to hit me now, and I'm really excited!!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 04, 2008, 06:32:28 AM »
Wonderful news!