Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449657 times)

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1395 on: June 22, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
why did,nt the curtis estake when they sold the rights to depp why did,nt they give depp a limited amount of time to make the movie or the rights go back to the estake. and they can find someone else to make the movie not just talk about it like depp.both depp and burton are much more interested in other films as oposed to a old soap opera.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 22, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »
More than likely Depp's deal is for a set time. However, an option like that can last for years - particularly because it normally takes many years for a film to get made.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
No direct developmental news on the DS movie but Depp's company just signed a new contract with GK Films and DS is still mentioned as one of their projects in the article. Let's hope that this project will happen. I guess plan B will involve pitching a new DS TV series to one of the networks but after seeing what NBC and the WB do with DS who wants to go through that again.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/johnny-depp-and-graham-king-re-up-production-deal/

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 23, 2010, 01:46:03 AM »
MB I remember many years ago Roseanne Barr acquired (or bought most likely) the rights to the British TV show Absolutely Fabulous but never did a thing with it. Hopefully DS will fare much better.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 23, 2010, 01:57:44 AM »
I was talking to a friend today who, knowing how I've been disappointed by some of the delays with the Depp/DS film, told me that he was recently watching an interview on DVD with the director of a film that the director said had taken over six years to get into production - and how the script had gone through 14(!) drafts. Puts things into perspective, no?  [ghost_wink]  The Depp/DS film hasn't dealt with anything like that...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: June 27, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »
--- ... DARK SHADOWS IN THE 2000s

Also on Saturday evening: A special presentation of the 2004 unaired DS television pilot will take place, to be followed by a discussion of the upcoming DS feature film to star Johnny Depp and be directed by Tim Burton.

I figured this would mostly be about the '04 pilot. And it's great that they're showing it again (and for the 6th time, even though at first they swore it would never be seen again after the '05 LA Fest) because, as far as I'm concerned, every DS fan who can should have a chance to see it. So I hope they keep showing it for years to come. But it's good to learn that they will also be discussing the Depp/DS film. Let's hope, as I said before, that
specific and not vague
info will be revealed...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 28, 2010, 12:50:41 AM »
I am also glad they are showing the 2004 pilot again after all it is part of our history now. I believe the discussion on the Depp DS movie will be limited to less than 5 minutes. I predict we will hear only that it will be filmed sometime next year and to me that is not a "discussion" but rather more like pure speculation. However I am hoping to be shocked in a positive way with some concrete developmental news. Someone may have to revive me if we receive any real news. jk

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 28, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »
Perhaps you should keep a vial of smelling salts on your person at all times during the Fest. Just in case.  [ghost_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 28, 2010, 04:51:24 AM »
"At all times"? lol I will be very happy to take one for the team should we receive some real news. One should be enough. jk

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 28, 2010, 05:10:29 AM »
"At all times"? lol

Well, I said that because one of the quirky things about the Fests is oftentimes one learns more news in the hallways and in the restaurants than one does in the ballroom. So, it's best to be prepared at all times.  [ghost_grin]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 28, 2010, 05:32:17 AM »
That is true but most of the "news" I hear in the hallways and restaurants are juicy rumors that one cannot possibly print nor wish to spread. jk However, it is always good to be prepared as you never know when you just step into news. I'll bring a bottle just to place it safe as I await the highly anticipated revelations. j/k

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 12, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »
According to Wikipedia, the movie will start production in the Fall of 2010. But is that really true?

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 12, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
Bear in mind that most articles in Wikipedia can be edited by almost anybody. Wikipedia depends on its users to keep the data correct and updated. The site has absolutely tremendous value as a starting place for research, but should not be relied upon as the definitive source for information on any topic whatsoever. Follow the links within and at the end of the article to get more information. (And never, ever, use Wikipedia as a source in a research article or term paper!!)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 13, 2010, 03:28:20 AM »
Well no news has leaked in recent days-perhaps they are indeed saving some news on the movie to be released at the Fest. I can't honestly say that I am optimistic about learning some real confirmed news on the movie's projected start date. However, I think it is promising that there will be another new movie discussion panel at SDCC. I would assume that both panels, the one at the Fest and SDCC, will have some specific information about the movie. What is the purpose of them being there if they can't offer any specific updates? It would be fantastic if the panels have some promotional artwork to present to us or something to show us that the movie is about to start production. I will be disappointed if we hear the same stuff we heard about the movie at previous Fests.

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 13, 2010, 04:07:45 AM »
it looks like depp has another movie dr who that he,s going to make hope he dose not put this ahead of ds to.afthe all dr who is another old tv show i guess depp must of been a fan of who to.