Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450263 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Lest I remind anyone of the 04 WB DS Pilot that was practically near completion before it was shut down because the suits didn't like the look of it. Has the WB learned their lesson? Let's hope.

Well, television and film are two totally different divisions at WB with totally different people running them (and, of course, the WB network doesn't even exist anymore - and I don't think the people who ran it even work for WB anymore), so what happened with the '04 pilot is probably immaterial so far as the Depp/DS film goes. However, you most certainly make a very good point that just because there's a director, a screenwriter, and a star, that's absolutely no guarantee the film will be made. As I posted earlier in this topic, and you just reiterated, many films die in development hell - even films that are at the exact same point in development that this one is. The film has a long process ahead of it before we can completely breath a sigh of relief that it has been made - and we shouldn't lose sight of that at this early stage. Though at the same time it's still nice to celebrate each hurdle it crosses along the way.  [ghost_smiley]  There's a happy medium. We should probably still remain at least a bit cautiously optimistic at this point, but we also don't want to be too pessimistic.  [ghost_wink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I agree with all you say, MB.  Things can go wrong at any time along the path of making a film.  That said, I feel very optimistic after hearing the tangible possibility of a director and screenwriter.  And Johnny is at a stage of his career right now where he has some amount of clout to get things accomplished.  Every tidbit is good news!  What I'm not so optimistic about is how *quickly* it may come about.  While they might surprise us by putting the film on the fast track (and hey, it happened with Sweeney Todd), I'm thinking a 3-5 year timeframe is not going to be out of the question.  So, if it does take some time to get to the actual filming, it doesn't necessarily mean we should lose hope!

I would also imagine that even if there are no official ties between what's left of DCP and the film, that Johnny and Tim (and August) would want to get input from that side if possible.  Stephen Sondheim had no official say in the Sweeney Todd film, but yet they *wanted* his input and approval; same was true with Roald Dahl's widow and family for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I wish I knew a way to get in touch with Johnny-- I'd volunteer to be a DS fan consultant   [ghost_tongue2]  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I would also imagine that even if there are no official ties between what's left of DCP and the film, that Johnny and Tim (and August) would want to get input from that side if possible.

As the former president of DCP, that might be David Kennedy's role. Though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Jim Pierson is connected to the film in some capacity because somehow he always seems to show up in the credits. Though if so, with so many heavyweights involved in the top echelon o the project, it would be anyone's guess how much input he could actually have...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Don't ever underestimate Jim Pierson's resourcefullness to have his name placed somewhere. jk Actually he is certainly the man to critique the script. Just not sure if Jim would want a great deviation from the original storyline that DC seemed to want to protect through the years. John August's version may be a real surprise to all of us.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
John August's version may be a real surprise to all of us.

I hope so - and in a good way.  [ghost_wink]  We've seen the same ole, same ole ad nauseum already. It's definitely time for some fresh twists and turns. My worst nightmare would be that John August really is just "patching up" the original hoDS script!  [yikes]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hey MB don't give August any ideas. jk He may be reading this board. I have a good feeling he will find a very creative way to introduce the characters. I assume they will keep Robert Colbert's themes-hope he is scoring the film.

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
dose anyone have a opion on what childstar should play david

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Don't ever underestimate Jim Pierson's resourcefullness to have his name placed somewhere. jk Actually he is certainly the man to critique the script.

I think that's a safe bet, jimbo, considering Pierson's ties to Producer David Kennedy.  And this is from the article "Johnny Depp to Portray the Angst-Ridden Vampire Barnabas Collins?" at http://mpimedia.com/wp/?p=19 --

Producer Jim Pierson of Dan Curtis Productions and MPI Media Group will serve as a consultant on the project.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hi Midnite. Thanks for that link. It's only fitting that Jim Pierson will be consulting with the producers of this film. Jim, as we know, is a DS historian and of course wears other DS related hats. Thanks again.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's only fitting that Jim Pierson will be consulting with the producers of this film.

Actually, I don't envy the position that being a consultant on the film puts him. You've already expressed a doubt that many in fandom would share that Pierson might not want to deviate too much from the storyline that DC always seemed to want to do - and if the finished film adheres too much to that storyline, Pierson will get the lion's share of the blame because fans will just assume he fought for it. Whereas, if the finished film breaks new ground and goes into new directions, even if Pierson suggested many of those directions, he'll get little to no credit because fans will in all likelihood simply assume that the new participants like August, Burton and Depp brought their own fresh perspectives.  :-\

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Well, television and film are two totally different divisions at WB with totally different people running them (and, of course, the WB network doesn't even exist anymore - and I don't think the people who ran it even work for WB anymore), so what happened with the '04 pilot is probably immaterial so far as the Depp/DS film goes.

I did'nt know the WB Network is not around anymore. Who knows, if they accepted the '04 pilot, they might
still be around today.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The WB merged with UPN to become the CW network back in '06.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
So the old WB merged with UPN two years ago to become CW? No wonder WWE Smackdown is
looking for another network. [ghost_embarrassed]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
WWE Smackdown will be on MyNetworkTV - they were the only network that was interested.

But getting back on topic, this person seems to think that a Burton/August collaboration will be a good fit for the Depp/DS film: The Cynical Optimist 06/05/08. He actually goes so far as to say that he has a feeling the film will be one of their "best collaborations." Let's hope so.

Also, he's not the only one to wonder if Danny Elfman, who's a longtime Burton collaborator, might score the film - so perhaps we should get used to the idea that, apart from maybe the main theme, the music for the film may not be Robert Cobert compositions...

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
It might be the "best collaborations" between Depp, Burton and August. But I'm hoping the new
DS movie will be gothic and I am also hoping Burton will not make into another Sweeney Todd, Edward
Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas look-a-like.